What to do?

Old Sep 21, 09, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Silver Preferred, Delta
What to do?

My buddy isn't sure what to do in this situation and I thought I'd request the help of FT for it. He was DL2073 from MDW-ATL. This flight was delayed by weather from a departure of 305 dept to 643 dept and a 6pm scheduled departure that landed at 11:12pm. This is over a 5hour delay. They were on the runway for ~2hours he said. Then he rushed over to catch DL flight 1523, that was scheduled for a 639pm departure that is now set for a 500am departure the next day. The delay getting into ATL was weather related but he said they said nothing about weather being an issue for the delay in getting on the plane tonight. Furthermore he said the captain came on the mic and told all the passengers after they had been on the runway for 1 hour to not take any of the blankets or pillows cause that is a felony.

Is this normal or does this fall into the realm of some sort of compensation.

A 6:39pm departure that now is 5:00am is significant and DL is not offering a hotel or food or anything. One gate agent said they will try to get the H20 off the plane for some of them to drink.
Old Sep 21, 09, 10:55 pm

Take a look at Weather.com (or the Weather in ATL today thread).

ATL has experienced massive flooding (of the 100 year kind).

From the above mentioned thread:

Originally Posted by CarolDisney1 View Post
Not any tools, but I can make you a deal on some "slightly used" carpet Just a "little" damp.

Luckily for me, my boyfriend decided to check on my home tonight. He and my brother then spent a few hours pulling the carpet out and moving the furniture. It appears the carpet is the only loss!

I considered trying to fly home, but checked Delta and things just looked like a nightmare so I will stay in sunny California until Friday.

(And I am truly lucky, there are folks homeless and worse from this... so be patient with your Delta agent at the aiport. Remember they can't change the weather!)
Old Sep 21, 09, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Compensation for what? It was weather.
Old Sep 21, 09, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

I guess I failed to see how an 11 hour flight delay could all be blamed on weather. Especially since they had the flight to DAB boarded then deplaned them..... I understand there are massive repercussions for a long delay... but this must be something like flight crew is on overtime?
Old Sep 21, 09, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by rookieflyer View Post
I guess I failed to see how an 11 hour flight delay could all be blamed on weather. Especially since they had the flight to DAB boarded then deplaned them..... I understand there are massive repercussions for a long delay... but this must be something like flight crew is on overtime?
It's a whole bunch of dominoes...

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL2037

So his flight arrived 5:15 late.
Depart (Schedule) 3:05pm
Depart (Actual) 6:43pm
Arrival (Schedule) 6:00pm
Arrival (Actual) 11:12pm

1532 arrived 5 hours late from St Louis. The crew was expecting to be at their hotel at DAB 3 hours before they arrived at DAB. They likely timed out due to the weather delays.

With a 5am departure, they are bringing in a fresh crew and this is likeliest the earliest that the crew can make it to the airport to operate the flight.

I wonder if he could have tried to get into MCO or MLB, both ~ 1 hr from MCO. The last ATL-MCO flight just pushed back a few minutes ago.
Old Sep 21, 09, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Yea he just told me they had one GA and that guy got on the speaker and told everyone there was nothing he could do so they just needed to go sit down and wait till 5am to board. I think that is pretty unnecessary.... but i guess w/ all the delays he's had to deal w/ today he is given the right to be unpleasant.
Old Sep 21, 09, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by rookieflyer View Post
Yea he just told me they had one GA and that guy got on the speaker and told everyone there was nothing he could do so they just needed to go sit down and wait till 5am to board. I think that is pretty unnecessary.... but i guess w/ all the delays he's had to deal w/ today he is given the right to be unpleasant.
Though I would agree about the lack of pleasantness, I think you hit the nail on the head when mentioning the day @ work they've had and possibly what they've got to go home to...
Old Sep 22, 09, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WBurcham View Post
Though I would agree about the lack of pleasantness, I think you hit the nail on the head when mentioning the day @ work they've had and possibly what they've got to go home to...
at least he'll get to go home when his shift is over... not have to wait 12 extra hours b/c of weather.

but in all seriousness hope his house is ok.

Search this Thread