Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta Reserve Amex - MQMs "Miles Boost" Question, Plat Amex Question

Old Sep 21, 09, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Pb Medallion

Some of the Delta Amex cards have a "bonus" for when signing up, such as the Plat and Gold that both allow you to earn 20,000 "bonus" miles upon first purchase.

The Reserve Amex has a benefit of MQM earnings, stating a "bonus" of 10,000 MQMs on first purchase, but then goes on the discuss the "Miles Boost" of 15,000 MQMs for $30k in spending in a calendar year and another 15,000 MQMs with $60k in spending for a total of 30,000 MQMs in one calendar year.

Is this "Miles Boost" a constant, ongoing program? In other words, would someone moving from the Delta Gold Amex or Delta Plat Amex still be eligible for the Miles Boost program of up to 30k MQMs. That's the way I read it, but I was hoping for a second opinion.

A second question, a bit more OT: Both the Delta Reserve and the non-Delta Platinum Amex have a $450 yearly fee. The Delta Reserve allows for additional Delta Amex cards at a discount. The plain-vanilla (non-Delta) Platinum Amex allows for additional non-Delta Amex cards at a discount. So... is there a yearly-fee discount for holding a Delta Amex Reserve and a non-Delta Amex Platinum?
Old Sep 21, 09, 9:09 pm

Programs: DAL Diamond, JB Mosaic, AGR Select+, SPG Plat 75, Hyatt Diamond, AXP Plat, AXP DAL Reserve, AXP SPG
Originally Posted by cs19 View Post
Some of the Delta Amex cards have a "bonus" for when signing up, such as the Plat and Gold that both allow you to earn 20,000 "bonus" miles upon first purchase.

The Reserve Amex has a benefit of MQM earnings, stating a "bonus" of 10,000 MQMs on first purchase, but then goes on the discuss the "Miles Boost" of 15,000 MQMs for $30k in spending in a calendar year and another 15,000 MQMs with $60k in spending for a total of 30,000 MQMs in one calendar year.

Is this "Miles Boost" a constant, ongoing program? In other words, would someone moving from the Delta Gold Amex or Delta Plat Amex still be eligible for the Miles Boost program of up to 30k MQMs. That's the way I read it, but I was hoping for a second opinion.

A second question, a bit more OT: Both the Delta Reserve and the non-Delta Platinum Amex have a $450 yearly fee. The Delta Reserve allows for additional Delta Amex cards at a discount. The plain-vanilla (non-Delta) Platinum Amex allows for additional non-Delta Amex cards at a discount. So... is there a yearly-fee discount for holding a Delta Amex Reserve and a non-Delta Amex Platinum?
Yes, "Miles Boost" is a constant, ongoing program that runs on a calendar-year cycle. The bonus MQMs you are referring to (15K MQMs per $30K of spend, capped at 30K MQMs per year) are specific to the Reserve card.

There was a discount on the Delta co-brand cards if you held a propriety Charge card (e.g., Platinum Amex). For example, I hold a propriety Charge card and the Delta Amex Reserve fee is $395. However, this benefit has been (or is in process of) being phased out - not positive on the exact date. When I called a few months ago, I was told existing cardmembers would be grandfathered and continue to receive the discount.

Based on a quick search it looks like the date has already passed: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...e-changes.html
Old Sep 21, 09, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL PM Reserve
One big note on moving from a current DL gold or plat Amex card to the Reserve card....if you upgrade that account to the Reserve card, rather than closing the old card account and opening a new reserve card account, your YTD spending on the gold/plat DL card will count toward the Reserve card's threshold.

I did this from a DL gold card to the Reserve card back in March; the DL gold card spending is still included in the YTD total for the miles boost (though I will only hit the 30k level this year, as I am not such as high spender, yet).
Old Sep 21, 09, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by td777 View Post
One big note on moving from a current DL gold or plat Amex card to the Reserve card....if you upgrade that account to the Reserve card, rather than closing the old card account and opening a new reserve card account, your YTD spending on the gold/plat DL card will count toward the Reserve card's threshold.
I will hit 50k in spending on my delta platinum amex in this billing cycle, ending this week. Are you saying I can call next week and convert my account to a Delta amex Reserve card, and when I hit 60k in spending, I'll get another 15k MQMs? Has anyone else verified this?
Old Sep 21, 09, 10:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL 1 million
Originally Posted by stealthmidget View Post
I will hit 50k in spending on my delta platinum amex in this billing cycle, ending this week. Are you saying I can call next week and convert my account to a Delta amex Reserve card, and when I hit 60k in spending, I'll get another 15k MQMs? Has anyone else verified this?
No, when you switch any spending over the 50K count toward the the Reserve card's spending. So once you spend 30K on the Reserve you get the bonus MQM's - so in your case you'd have to hit 80K year to date for it to kick in.

Search this Thread