Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Why was I upgraded on Delta for International..Kinda wierd...

Old Sep 21, 09, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Ok, so I took a flight with a companion from Richmond, VA to JFK to Frankfurt Germany on Saturday afternoon this past weekend.

Well, we both booked a ticket in the lowest fare possible, heck mine came out to like 750 bucks and was not an upgradable fare (Y M B), neither was his. Neither of us could use our upgradeable vouchers for the flight.

Both of us are Platinum members, me before flight having 89k miles and him having 95K miles MQM.

When we got to the gate at JFK, both of us were handed seat change tickets, and had business class seats on a 757 delta bird.

We dont know why?????

Not only that, but there were more empty seats up there that didn't get filled, even after she told me it was a full bird (meaning full in coach).

There had to be other Platinum members and of course, gold, silver medallion members on the flight. What was so special about us that we got upgraded and not them? I can understand about the silver, gold guys not getting and international upgrade but why would they let seats go empty and not let other platinum members up there??

Seems wierd. I mean I fly domestic and theres always at least 3-5 platinums on every flight, I can only imagine there were more on this flight. I heard a rumor that platinum members over 80k can get international upgrades without using vouchers, is that true???

Is this upgrade part of some perk Delta put out that i don't know about????

Im just curious...Thanks.
Old Sep 21, 09, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA - ExPlat 1MM Marriott - Platinum, Hertz - Presidents Circle
Sometimes there is no reason, there is no logic. You got a gift horse without even asking for it. Now, go buy a lottery ticket and quick hanging out here looking for the magic bean of all knowledge on this topic. You'll just get a ton of hearsay and speculation.
Old Sep 21, 09, 3:12 pm

Please continue to follow this thread in the Delta forum.

Aviators99
MilesBuzz!
Old Sep 21, 09, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by purpleskiesfly View Post
Sometimes there is no reason, there is no logic. You got a gift horse without even asking for it. Now, go buy a lottery ticket and quick hanging out here looking for the magic bean of all knowledge on this topic. You'll just get a ton of hearsay and speculation.
Well there is a reason. Obviously.

Whether the reason was gift or something else, I intend to find out.

Thanks.
Old Sep 21, 09, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
The most common reason is that they're oversold in Coach and have open Business Elite seats. So they upgrade targeted people to free up the coach seats. It's called an Operational Upgrade (Op Up). They usually pick the candidates for the upgrade based on status.
Old Sep 21, 09, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PE
Consider yourself lucky. I fly international from JFK at least 6 times a year, and if I don't buy J class, I never ride up front. I wish I knew how people keep getting upgraded. Yes, the flights I take are full, and I am a PM.
Old Sep 21, 09, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, Global Entry, PL_Marriott, GHertz
Common topic here ... one of the last was http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...periences.html
Old Sep 21, 09, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mike_plat View Post
The most common reason is that they're oversold in Coach and have open Business Elite seats. So they upgrade targeted people to free up the coach seats. It's called an Operational Upgrade (Op Up). They usually pick the candidates for the upgrade based on status.
ahhh I see... now that makes sense.
Old Sep 21, 09, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
Common topic here ... one of the last was http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...periences.html
Thanks.
Old Sep 21, 09, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.1MM, EK Gold, SQ Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by -TRAVELJOCKEY- View Post
Thanks.
Also please see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ve-thread.html
Old Sep 21, 09, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Originally Posted by -TRAVELJOCKEY- View Post
Ok, so I took a flight with a companion from Richmond, VA to JFK to Frankfurt Germany on Saturday afternoon this past weekend.

Well, we both booked a ticket in the lowest fare possible, heck mine came out to like 750 bucks and was not an upgradable fare (Y M B), neither was his. Neither of us could use our upgradeable vouchers for the flight.

Both of us are Platinum members, me before flight having 89k miles and him having 95K miles MQM.

When we got to the gate at JFK, both of us were handed seat change tickets, and had business class seats on a 757 delta bird.

We dont know why?????

Not only that, but there were more empty seats up there that didn't get filled, even after she told me it was a full bird (meaning full in coach).

There had to be other Platinum members and of course, gold, silver medallion members on the flight. What was so special about us that we got upgraded and not them? I can understand about the silver, gold guys not getting and international upgrade but why would they let seats go empty and not let other platinum members up there??

Seems wierd. I mean I fly domestic and theres always at least 3-5 platinums on every flight, I can only imagine there were more on this flight. I heard a rumor that platinum members over 80k can get international upgrades without using vouchers, is that true???

Is this upgrade part of some perk Delta put out that i don't know about????

Im just curious...Thanks.
Your impeccable spelling and grammar, along with your judicious use of question marks?
Old Sep 21, 09, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
Your impeccable spelling and grammar, along with your judicious use of question marks?
yea i saw that but am not concerned professor. thats just more time away from making another drink
Old Sep 21, 09, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL - GM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by mike_plat View Post
Agreed. Especially since you said the DL Agent said that coach was "full". It was probably over-sold and they often will upgrade medallions to make room for the over-sold passengers so they don't have to give away all that voucher money for people denied boarding.

My wife and I (both Silvers) got Op-Up'd (this was about 4-5 years ago) on JFK-CDG. That was a great surprise!

Search this Thread