FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   First Class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/996980-first-class.html)

tammydelta Sep 20, 2009 2:27 pm

First Class

Hi
I've never flown First Class and Im wondering if it is worth the money I'm being asked to spend , which I can't afford,to upgrade? We are Flying to Manchester England at the end of the month from JFK.. We have been before and due to back surgeries I have a difficult time sitting for any length of time so it was very painful. I needed to get up a lot. Does first class have that much more room? Should i wait till I get to the airport and try to get upgraded, even though our tickets are non upgradeable?

zman Sep 20, 2009 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by tammydelta (Post 12410148)
Hi
I've never flown First Class and Im wondering if it is worth the money I'm being asked to spend , which I can't afford,to upgrade? We are Flying to Manchester England at the end of the month from JFK.. We have been before and due to back surgeries I have a difficult time sitting for any length of time so it was very painful. I needed to get up a lot. Does first class have that much more room? Should i wait till I get to the airport and try to get upgraded, even though our tickets are non upgradeable?

If you are flying DL, they have NO F class TATL.
They only have Coach and Business.
You can look at Seatguru for seat configurations and space.

How do u expect to get upgraded on a NON upgradeable fare?
Are u a DL Platnium and hoping for a cabin roll (Coach over sold)?

ttjoseph Sep 20, 2009 2:43 pm

Welcome to FT!

Only you can decide whether BusinessElite is worth the money for this 7-8 hour flight (though you say you can't afford it, so I'm not sure what your question is then). It does have significantly more room, and you can recline quite a bit more than in coach.

Hoping for a free upgrade at the airport is not a good plan, especially on a non-upgradeable fare. You are extremely unlikely to get it.

DLATL777 Sep 20, 2009 2:47 pm

As others have said;

1. There is no First Class internationally on Delta. It is called Business Elite.
2. No, do not hope for an upgrade on a non upgradeable fare.
3. If you cannot afford it, I am not sure what the decision is.
4. If you can afford it, it probably would be worth it if you enjoy all the perks that come with Business Elite over coach. If comfort is your primary concern, then that is the perk you would be most interested in.

avidflyer Sep 20, 2009 2:52 pm

Hi

There is a ton of space in Business going to Europe. The seats turn into beds on some ac and others recline to almost flat. 10" flat screen video monitor, great food, etc. That said it cost $5000 and unless you are on an upgradeable fare ($2000-3000) the chances of an upgrade are slim to none. If you are a Platnium or a Gold and coach is over sold there is a slight chance but that is very rare. Sorry for the bad news but you pretty much have to spend $2000 to have the CHANCE at an upgrade. f you want to be sure then you will need to buy Business class.

Dovster Sep 20, 2009 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by avidflyer (Post 12410225)
Sorry for the bad news but you pretty much have to spend $2000 to have the CHANCE at an upgrade.

Even then, you will not get upgraded on the day of departure unless Coach is completely sold out and they need to move some people into Biz Elite. In all the years I have flown, this happened to me only once.

If you have 50,000 SkyMiles in your account, and if you buy an M (or more expensive) fare, and if there are seats set aside for upgrades, then you can use the miles (25,000 each way) to get upgraded in advance -- but not on the day that you will fly.

tjisnumbaone Sep 20, 2009 3:00 pm

Hi

Welcome to FT.

Originally Posted by zman (Post 12410162)

No need to be harsh on the newbie.

Originally Posted by DLATL777 (Post 12410208)
As others have said;

1. There is no First Class internationally on Delta. It is called Business Elite.
2. No, do not hope for an upgrade on a non upgradeable fare.
3. If you cannot afford it, I am not sure what the decision is.
4. If you can afford it, it probably would be worth it if you enjoy all the perks that come with Business Elite over coach. If comfort is your primary concern, then that is the perk you would be most interested in.

This is the correct response, thank you DLATL777.

"BusinessElite" (referred on here as BE) is the premium cabin.

The differential factor from Coach and BE is what aircraft your flying on. That would be helpful to know if it's worth it.

majortom546 Sep 20, 2009 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by tjisnumbaone (Post 12410253)
Welcome to FT.

No need to be harsh on the newbie.

This is the correct response, thank you DLATL777.

"BusinessElite" (referred on here as BE) is the premium cabin.

The differential factor from Coach and BE is what aircraft your flying on. That would be helpful to know if it's worth it.

JFK-MAN is a 757

worldwidedreamer Sep 20, 2009 3:52 pm

My advice would be to skip first class. The seats are more comfortable---but not much and the food is not as nice as what they serve at the Olive Garden. If you have a medical condition that makes flying uncomfortable, I doubt that the slightly larger seat will really improve things anyway.

tammydelta Sep 20, 2009 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by zman (Post 12410162)

didn't know until today about different types (prices) for coach ..same seats.. I do have a delta platnium card am ex, use it to shop. also a frequent flyer member, but dont fly a lot.

tammydelta Sep 20, 2009 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by ttjoseph (Post 12410197)
Welcome to FT!

Only you can decide whether BusinessElite is worth the money for this 7-8 hour flight (though you say you can't afford it, so I'm not sure what your question is then). It does have significantly more room, and you can recline quite a bit more than in coach.

Hoping for a free upgrade at the airport is not a good plan, especially on a non-upgradeable fare. You are extremely unlikely to get it.

thought so, thanks

OHDL1 Sep 20, 2009 5:00 pm

Hi

Just curious....going to Manchester on holiday?....visiting? I'm also going (hopefully...) on the 29th for football....Manchester United style.

tammydelta Sep 20, 2009 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by majortom546 (Post 12410277)
JFK-MAN is a 757

I was looking at the plane...very small...three and three..anyone been on it

dickinson Sep 20, 2009 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by tammydelta (Post 12410602)
didn't know until today about different types (prices) for coach ..same seats..

Now that you have found FlyerTalk, spend some time reading the threads and the FAQ's. You will learn an incredible amount of helpful information. I know it has assisted me greatly with upgrades and a myriad of other things.

tammydelta Sep 20, 2009 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by OHDL1 (Post 12410634)
Just curious....going to Manchester on holiday?....visiting? I'm also going (hopefully...) on the 29th for football....Manchester United style.

Cool, I'll just miss u... going to visit family (hubby's)...I'm a liverpool fan:p