Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Intl. Upgrades on NW/DL - experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2009, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond

I am NW Platinum, and regularly TPAC on NW/DL from the West Coast. So far this year I have received 2 complimentary Y-J upgrades on TPAC flights. In one case, I had a B fare, in the other I had a K fare. This is nice because I did not have to use my PMUs to upgade. Both times I was upgraded at the gate just before boarding.

Any more such experiences?
Old Sep 20, 2009, 10:57 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
No, none;

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ve-thread.html
Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:15 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by nwrep2009
I am NW Platinum, and regularly TPAC on NW/DL from the West Coast. So far this year I have received 2 complimentary Y-J upgrades on TPAC flights. In one case, I had a B fare, in the other I had a K fare. This is nice because I did not have to use my PMUs to upgade. Both times I was upgraded at the gate just before boarding.

You were probably the recipient of what the NW FT Board called the "Phantom Upgrade" -- Up to 5 Plats were upgraded to WBC, if there were empty seats. It was done eastbound on TATL flights and both directions on TPAC. I was 1/4 on my TATL flights, but it sounded if folks were more successful TPAC.

Sadly, it was discontinued because DL IT couldn't handle it.

PS: Welcome to FlyerTalk

Last edited by TheMadBrewer; Sep 20, 2009 at 11:15 am Reason: Welcome
Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:55 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Got one once.

I was flying DL from CDG to ATL. Got on the plane and "Mr Jerk" was in my exit row seat.

"Mr Jerk" then proceeded to "show out" for the FA by SCREAMING about how many miles he flew on Delta, his "elite" level, how much money he spent with Delta etc. I moved into the Galley area to get away from "Mr Jerk" FA comes back, hands me a new boarding pass an I am in business. If HALF of what "Mr Jerk" said was true he "outranked" me for the OpUp.
(Coach was oversold)
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by nwrep2009

Mrs. Smyrnaflyer (also PM) and I have been opped up 5 times total TATL this year. In all cases, coach was oversold, although in one case, it may have been a kind GA. Never TPAC, but that's because I'm not willing to risk having to stay in coach if it happens. On TATL, I upgrade with PMUs about half the time, and I have been running about 50% on the op ups.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
3 of my last 4 trans Atlantic flights (all since April) have provided me a complimentary upgrade actually. One was SVO to ATL, one ATL to SVO, and one FRA to ATL. It is totally, for me anyway, based on the back being oversold. Once I got a sympathy upgrade due to my Mom being injured and they upped her to Biz Elite out of FRA and thought I needed to be beside her. It worked out well for both of us.

So, yes, it does happen and you can help yourself by flying on Mondays out of ATL to European destinations. At least that has been my experience with ATL flights to FRA and SVO. As always, YMMV...
Old Sep 20, 2009, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Keep in mind that op-ups are std protocol for airlines that oversell coach. The phantom-upgrades were a once in a lifetime deal.

I've never had either.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 5:52 am

Programs: Delta Diamond,Holiday Inn Dia Ambassador ,AA Gold
I have been upgrade because coach has been oversold 5 times this year.No complaints...That is why I would never take the PMU award and take the miles or gifting status.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL PM
I was a gold elite (NW) on AMS to PDX last month and my gf and I were op-up b/c coach was full. She is not an elite member. It was nice surprise.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Sadly, it was discontinued because DL IT couldn't handle it.
Don't get me wrong, I definitely see LOTS of issues with Delta IT, but in this case, it has nothing to do with DL.

My wife and I (both Silvers) got Op-Up'd from JFK-CDG about 4-5 years ago. That was a pleasant surprise. Coach was oversold and they upgraded the medallions to make room.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 9:34 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I've Probably Done 30 TATL Segments on LUT tickets

over the past 10 years; I've gotten an op-up exactly 3 times.

The first time was LGW-BOS in December, 2001 (which DL discontinued in 2002); the flight was sold out in Y; I was a GM at the time. I got to LGW relatively late, only about an hour before scheduled departure. I was shocked when I got a seat in the "aft" business cabin (in those days, DL's 767s had two business cabins, the second one extending back to where the mid-cabin lavs are located); needless to say, I had a great flight home.

The next time was January 1, 2009. I was PM at the time. I had a Q fare DCA-JFK-LHR on the morning TATL flight; I misconnected because the equipment for the DCA-JFK leg had to be ferried in from IAD due to a windstorm the day before which caused major cancellations in the northeast; when I went up to the T2 CRC/BE lounge, the wonderful concierge rebooked me in full J class for the evening departure. I spent the 12 hour layover betting on horses at Aqueduct and feasting on an outstanding buffet in the Equestris clubhouse restaurant, and then drinking beer in the CRC near Gate 6 watching the end of the Rose Bowl.

On that same trip, January 6, 2009, I had a T fare LHR-ATL-DCA. Because of weather, a number of flights from Europe to the USA between January 2 and January 5 had been canceled, and my flight was oversold. When I got to T4 at LHR, the lady in the DL uniform operated a kiosk for me, and out popped a J boarding pass (although the T fare class still showed on the pass). Could have knocked me over with a feather. Had another great DL flying experience.

In February, I did a sports trip/mileage run IAD-ATL-LGW and return. The flights were not sold out in either cabin, and normal service returned, meaning no upgrade (although I had very good flights in both directions).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.