FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Upgraded, but not sure if I want it (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/996837-upgraded-but-not-sure-if-i-want.html)

tasnam Sep 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Upgraded, but not sure if I want it

Ok it is less than the three days to departure and my skymiles ticket was upgraded to first (that is a good thing for me).

But I was was planning to call before OLCI and enter my CO OnePass number to earn some extra OP miles.

#1 Can I still call DL and add OP#? (Have not checked in)

#2 Do I lose the upgrade?

DLATL777 Sep 19, 2009 11:25 pm

Just to clarify here, when you say "Skymiles ticket", what you mean is a normal purchased with $ ticket that happens to have your sky miles # attached to it, correct?

I just want to clear that up since there has been a bit of discussion here about the upcoming upgrades to actual MILES tickets (that is, tickets purchased holistically with miles; an Award ticket).

ADLFO Sep 19, 2009 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by tasnam (Post 12408069)
Ok it is less than the three days to departure and my skymiles ticket was upgraded to first (that is a good thing for me).

But I was was planning to call before OLCI and enter my CO OnePass number to earn some extra OP miles.

#1 Can I still call DL and add OP#? (Have not checked in)

#2 Do I lose the upgrade?

1-Yes

2-Yes

bmw303 Sep 19, 2009 11:31 pm

I would recommend that you try changing the FF # at the gate just shortly before boarding. You may be able to keep your upgrade that way (although definitely no guarantee).

tasnam Sep 19, 2009 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by DLATL777 (Post 12408077)
Just to clarify here, when you say "Skymiles ticket", what you mean is a normal purchased with $ ticket that happens to have your sky miles # attached to it, correct?

I just want to clear that up since there has been a bit of discussion here about the upcoming upgrades to actual MILES tickets (that is, tickets purchased holistically with miles; an Award ticket).

YES a purchased ticket on DL.com (Non award) with my skymiles # attached.

Will the agent enter my OP# and then say "Sir you realize you will lose your upgrade? (OR miss that little detail) Or perhaps the Computer flags me as a traitor and drops me to cattle class?

ADLFO Sep 20, 2009 12:14 am

I did find an old thread that was somewhat similar to your situation:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...f-program.html

I still think you'll lose the u/g, but please let us know how it goes if you decide to try bmw303's suggestion.

Evan! Sep 20, 2009 5:01 am

I completely understand your situation but when I saw the thread title my first reaction before reading the thread was "Boy Flyer Talkers can NOT be pleased. Got upgraded and don't want it. :rolleyes: " :D

As ADLFO suggested, please let us know if your attempt to change at the gate works.

woody125 Sep 20, 2009 5:40 am

Originally Posted by bmw303 (Post 12408089)
I would recommend that you try changing the FF # at the gate just shortly before boarding. You may be able to keep your upgrade that way (although definitely no guarantee).

I have tried this numerous times on Delta trying to switch my SM number to SU Bonus number at the gate after the upgrade has already been confirmed. I've had agents try but it seems the system locks them out from doing it. They've been willing but have never been able.

Please do report back how it turns out for you.

tasnam Sep 23, 2009 11:57 am

Originally Posted by woody125 (Post 12408665)
I have tried this numerous times on Delta trying to switch my SM number to SU Bonus number at the gate after the upgrade has already been confirmed. I've had agents try but it seems the system locks them out from doing it. They've been willing but have never been able.

Please do report back how it turns out for you.

Did not work.

At check in counter agent right knew that it would drop me out of first class which it did.

At the gate I tried again to get first class and she said nope.

On the flight there were 5 empty 1st class seats.

But I should get my CO points at least.

Crazyhotelguy Sep 23, 2009 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by tasnam (Post 12425719)
Did not work.

At check in counter agent right knew that it would drop me out of first class which it did.

At the gate I tried again to get first class and she said nope.

On the flight there were 5 empty 1st class seats.

But I should get my CO points at least.

Thanks for the info, but Personnaly I would have preferred the U/G unless I were going for status.

EmoryFlyer Sep 23, 2009 12:39 pm

I have a similar issue -- status with NW, but was targetted for a promo with DL that's tied to my skymiles number. Despite being "one airline" it seem I have to choose between the targetted promo and the potential upgrade. Not fun!