Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

DL: ex-ATL; seeking 15 segments of Mileage Runs by Dec 31

Old Sep 19, 09, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

New to all of this, please feel free to redirect...

Living in ATL DL Plat trying to hit Gold this year (budget cuts for business travel) very tough.
Curent 37 Segments/27K MQM
Best case will get 4 more RT in before Year End putting me at 45 segments.

Spent the rainy afternoon searching flights from ATL but everything I am familar with is direct; looking for something that would get at least 4 segments per trip.

Any fellow ATL residents with suggestions to get those 15 segments in before Dec 31? OR any other advice appreciated.

Thank you!
Old Sep 19, 09, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold, KE Morning Calm
Originally Posted by LouAnn View Post

Living in ATL DL Plat trying to hit Gold this year (budget cuts for business travel) very tough.

Spent the rainy afternoon searching flights from ATL but everything I am familar with is direct; looking for something that would get at least 4 segments per trip.

Any fellow ATL residents with suggestions to get those 15 segments in before Dec 31? OR any other advice appreciated.

Thank you!
When Airtran is on sale, ATL-(CVG MEM DET MSP) - ORD/MDW is $75+ one way. 4 segments for $150+.
Old Sep 20, 09, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
I've moved this to Delta Skymiles as the new FTer LouAnn asked a general ex-ATL question in the incorrect forum (Mileage Run Deals).

Hopefully LouAnn can research existing threads here, or ask a more specific question here in the Delta forum.

Cheers,
BiziBB, Moderator, Mileage Run forums

[PS. Welcome to FlyerTalk, LouAnn!
Please familiarise yourself with the Mileage Run forums by reading the sticky thread and looking at some of the more popular threads, to understand that the forum is for sharing deals - specifically sharing status miles-rich fares which cost less than a few cents per mile.

Sticky: Welcome to the Mileage Run Forum - Important information how the MR forums work ]
Old Sep 20, 09, 4:52 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Can you estimate how many more MQMs you will get with those 4 R/Ts? Rather than take-off and land 15 more times you might try to reach 50K MQMs by doing a couple mileage runs to Europe... or a few more to the west coast. Farecompare.com has a great feature directed at us FT MR people.

http://farecompare.com/flyertalk

It will show you the amount of miles and the cost per mile. Sometimes the MQMs are more than what they quote because a segment might earn 500 MQMs but their calculation is based on actual miles which might be less. The site is actually targeted at RDMs but can be used as well for elite qualification MRs.

The listing can't be filtered by Delta only. But if you filter by alliance (selecting SkyTeam of course) at least you will reduce the listing making it easier to find DL fares. Once you filtered you can sort on Airline so all the DL deals are grouped together.
Old Sep 20, 09, 6:21 am

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold, SPG Plat
ATL-DEN or ATL-ORD are usually available for 75$ per segment, 2-3 weeks out. These are prob. the best routs to look for. ATl-CLT can als be an alternative, where the flying time is shorter and you can easily do 4 segments on a saturday and 4 on a sunday, keeping you busy for a weekend
Old Sep 20, 09, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
That's a good fare for ATL-DEN but that's pretty far to go if one is just looking for segments, not MQM.
Old Sep 20, 09, 8:36 am

Programs: DL

Thank you!
Welcome to FT LouAnn!

If you do not qualify for gold, you will be gold anyway. Even if you didn't fly at all this year, DL will only lower your status 1 level down, which would be gold. So, technically you do not have to fly in order to achieve it.

By the way, it is either MQM or segments that will get you status. If you have 10 segments and 30,000 MQM's you would still get silver.

ATL-HNL (I believe) is the longest route DL serves within the US, being 4,502 miles. Making it round trip, totals out to be 9,004 miles. If you book it in a Coach Y, B, or M fare, OR in First Class, you would get 13,506 MQM's (because DL gives 1.5X MQM's from the original mileage when you book the higher priced fares) which would bring you up to about 40K MQM. Add in a trip to ANC and you would be set.

But again, you do not necessarily need to do anything to get gold.
Old Sep 20, 09, 8:41 am

Programs: /usr/bin
Originally Posted by tjisnumbaone View Post
If you do not qualify for gold, you will be gold anyway. Even if you didn't fly at all this year, DL will only lower your status 1 level down, which would be gold. So, technically you do not have to fly in order to achieve it.
I was under the impression that the status of these "soft landings" was undetermined due to the introduction of rollover MQMs. Have we gotten confirmation one way or the other yet?
Old Sep 20, 09, 10:03 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by gt_croz View Post
I was under the impression that the status of these "soft landings" was undetermined due to the introduction of rollover MQMs. Have we gotten confirmation one way or the other yet?
Me too. I can see where DL would reduce the number of current (beginning of new year) Medallions by replacing soft landings with rollover MQMs.
Old Sep 20, 09, 10:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond / Delta Silver
idea?

I'd suggest trying to find a few east coast deals from Chattanooga. Drive north (not bad) and you can get at least a few connections. Right now they have CHA-SFO for PLENTY of dates at $202 R/T and some have two connections. Parking is cheap at CHA too. I've also found trips from CHA to places like Newport News, New York airports, and even Washington DC for under $130 R/T. There is also plenty of avail when going from CHA to MEM and then connecting anywhere! Good luck.
Old Sep 20, 09, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by mtsublueraider View Post
I'd suggest trying to find a few east coast deals from Chattanooga. Drive north (not bad) and you can get at least a few connections. Right now they have CHA-SFO for PLENTY of dates at $202 R/T and some have two connections. Parking is cheap at CHA too. I've also found trips from CHA to places like Newport News, New York airports, and even Washington DC for under $130 R/T. There is also plenty of avail when going from CHA to MEM and then connecting anywhere! Good luck.
I prefer BHM. It's a 2 hour drive, parking is cheap, and you can get four segments easily in an afternoon. It's because DL competes with Southwest, so you can fly to Nashville and back for cheap.

I wouldn't count on soft landings. All those free MQMs will substitute for the soft landings, I predict.
Old Sep 20, 09, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL
I also think they will get rid of the soft landings. Rollover is another way to make status easier to get. I think keeping both wouldn't benefit Delta in any way.
Old Sep 20, 09, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

Appreciate the advice to get me started on completing segments!

Thank you all, very helpful!

Search this Thread