FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   DL or KE for coach travel to Thailand - Price is the same (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/996571-dl-ke-coach-travel-thailand-price-same.html)

adamfrey Sep 18, 2009 9:10 pm

DL or KE for coach travel to Thailand - Price is the same

Just curious if the DFW and ORD flights to ICN with KE have the video for each person in Economy Class? Just trying to decide between using Delta (no VOD for coach) or route through DFW or ORD with Korean.

Or use Delta.

Thanks for the advice.

RealHJ Sep 18, 2009 9:15 pm

See: http://www.koreanair.com/local/na/gp...if_ni_main.jsp
for info on seating & AVOD for all KE flights. They show the specific aircraft features for each flight there.

adamfrey Sep 18, 2009 9:21 pm

So i guess ALL the flights via ORD have it, but not the DFW flights??

AndyTLe Sep 18, 2009 9:29 pm

With a choice between KE and DL in Y, I'd go KE every time. I've flown both and I suggest KE. The Asian carriers typically provide better service than the US airlines.

idayvuelta Sep 18, 2009 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by AndyTLe (Post 12404224)
With a choice between KE and DL in Y, I'd go KE every time. I've flown both and I suggest KE. The Asian carriers typically provide better service than the US airlines.

Credited. KE is wonderful.

AndyTLe Sep 18, 2009 10:33 pm

Wrong thread.

uavking Sep 18, 2009 10:44 pm

Without a doubt, take KE. If scheduling works out for you, try spending a day in Seoul on the way out or back.

2lazy2walk Sep 19, 2009 8:03 am

Be careful when booking KE, though, as the lower economy fares don't qualify for miles on Delta. I haven't figured out yet how to request the lowest fare class that will earn miles.

pokeable Sep 19, 2009 8:43 am

Recommend KE.

Did ATL-ICN-BKK via KE, the service and VOD (in coach) made a hellaciously long flight tolerable.

GuyverII Sep 19, 2009 8:56 am

Originally Posted by AndyTLe (Post 12404224)

KE definitely. Don't do Delta on economy. You will regret it.

worldwidedreamer Sep 19, 2009 9:11 am

Wow...I've seen many FT threads with people requesting airline reviews, but this is the first time I've ever seen someone posting a thread in an airline forum and getting the suggestion that they fly some other airline. Delta is not that bad, or is it? Maybe we've all been DFed one to many times.

AndyTLe Sep 19, 2009 9:27 am

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer (Post 12405665)
Wow...I've seen many FT threads with people requesting airline reviews, but this is the first time I've ever seen someone posting a thread in an airline forum and getting the suggestion that they fly some other airline. Delta is not that bad, or is it? Maybe we've all been DFed one to many times.

Has nothing to do with Delta being bad. But when given a choice between two competing items of same price, why wouldnt we suggest the superior product? DL is the world's largest airline but not the best airline. As mentioned, Asian carriers are typically better (Singapore, an Asian carrier, is the gold standard). Now if the question was between UA and DL, then the answer would be different.

RealHJ Sep 19, 2009 11:05 am

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer (Post 12405665)

It is. That Bad. Especially if you are stuck in the old 767's, on which they have been recently losing insurance due to the aircraft poor maintenance history. I was stuck in Cape Town, South Africa for two extra nights as Delta kept losing insurance coverage on their 767's due to the poor maintenance history (the ground crew admitted it as it was their last work day - they were all fired - so they didn't care). In the end had to go out on South Africa Airlines via London, as DL couldn't get anyone out on an insured aircraft over 48+ hours. (And by the way, that SAA flight was better service and amenities in coach that in the new DL BusinessElite..)

Those 767's (some of them, not all of course) are really beat up. One I was in, some seats were in permanently reclined position (broken, will not stay locked upright), some tray tables were broken and upon slightest motion pop open and couldn't be secured, trim on the sides was peeling off... I mean, even inside it's obvious that the plane is really poorly maintained (and it's not just the DeltaTM crap asthetics and poor cabins), so no wonder that they lose insurance on it due to its maintenance history and age. And, of course, no AVOD (yes, DL believes that even 16 hour flights do not need that, as it's DL after all, "best of class", right?).

And, that is the aircraft they give for a gruelling 16 hour flight (one of the longest). One would think that is one of the best. So what would the worst be like?

If you can get in the newer 777's, those are fine. And any NW operated flight is good, esp. the NW WorldBusinessClass with lie flat sleeper seats (while DL even on 16 hours just has a really poor business class same as domestic for 2 hour flights!).

AndyTLe Sep 19, 2009 11:17 am

Originally Posted by RealHJ (Post 12406121)
It is. That Bad.... If you can get in the newer 777's, those are fine. And any NW operated flight is good, esp. the NW WorldBusinessClass with lie flat sleeper seats (while DL even on 16 hours just has a really poor business class same as domestic for 2 hour flights!).

Ah yes, NW > DL

3Cforme Sep 19, 2009 11:31 am

Originally Posted by RealHJ (Post 12406121)
(while DL even on 16 hours just has a really poor business class same as domestic for 2 hour flights!).

That's just nonsense. Show us a NW aircraft with 60 inch pitch in domestic first. Facts are not subjective.