Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

DL or KE for coach travel to Thailand - Price is the same

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL or KE for coach travel to Thailand - Price is the same

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2009, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by 2lazy2walk
Be careful when booking KE, though, as the lower economy fares don't qualify for miles on Delta. I haven't figured out yet how to request the lowest fare class that will earn miles.
Another option is to take the KE flight using the DL flight number (if the fares are the same) to be sure you get full mileage credit.

Last edited by zman; Sep 19, 2009 at 12:58 pm
Old Sep 19, 2009, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
(And by the way, that SAA flight was better service and amenities in coach that in the new DL BusinessElite..)
Riiiiight
Old Sep 19, 2009, 1:16 pm

It is. That Bad. Especially if you are stuck in the old 767's, on which they have been recently losing insurance due to the aircraft poor maintenance history. I was stuck in Cape Town, South Africa for two extra nights as Delta kept losing insurance coverage on their 767's due to the poor maintenance history (the ground crew admitted it as it was their last work day - they were all fired - so they didn't care). In the end had to go out on South Africa Airlines via London, as DL couldn't get anyone out on an insured aircraft over 48+ hours. (And by the way, that SAA flight was better service and amenities in coach that in the new DL BusinessElite..)
I call shenanigans.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
It is. That Bad. Especially if you are stuck in the old 767's, on which they have been recently losing insurance due to the aircraft poor maintenance history. I was stuck in Cape Town, South Africa for two extra nights as Delta kept losing insurance coverage on their 767's due to the poor maintenance history (the ground crew admitted it as it was their last work day - they were all fired - so they didn't care). In the end had to go out on South Africa Airlines via London, as DL couldn't get anyone out on an insured aircraft over 48+ hours. (And by the way, that SAA flight was better service and amenities in coach that in the new DL BusinessElite..)
I REALLY suspect that you were misinformed here. IIRC, South Africa requires that EACH aircraft that DL uses to fly to JNB (and formerly CPT) go thru an individual certification process. Certifying the entire fleet was cost-prohibitive so DL has certified specific aircraft that can be assigned to South African flights. The down side of this is that if there is a MX, getting a certified replacement aircraft positioned to South Africa can take a day or two. Do you honestly believe that ILFC or GE or whoever DL leases their aircraft from is going to allow them to retain possession without the proper insurance?

Back to the original issue:
Be careful when booking KE, though, as the lower economy fares don't qualify for miles on Delta. I haven't figured out yet how to request the lowest fare class that will earn miles.
Originally Posted by zman
Another option is to take the KE flight using the DL flight number (if the fares are the same) to be sure you get full mileage credit.
As frequently happens in this forum, one of our regulars (in this case, zman) has the correct answer. ^
Old Sep 19, 2009, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K
I've looked at that option, but it's hard to compare fares if you can't find out the lowest KE fare that would earn miles (which is E, I think).

For the flights I've checked over the last several months (albeit sporadically), the Delta fare is 50-75% higher than the lowest offered (non-mileage earning) KE fare on the same flights. So, the only options are to pay the Delta fare not knowing whether it's competitive or not, or pay the cheaper KE fare and forego the miles/MQMs.

So...if anyone knows how to find E fares (including anecdotal evidence the phone reservation staff would understand such a request and be able to assist), please share :-)
Old Sep 19, 2009, 5:15 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
amex bonus

with amex bonus, the cash price may be the same. but the actual price is cheaper for DL (if the flying is done in this year and amex bonus is applicable.)
Old Sep 19, 2009, 6:47 pm

I've looked at that option, but it's hard to compare fares if you can't find out the lowest KE fare that would earn miles (which is E, I think).

For the flights I've checked over the last several months (albeit sporadically), the Delta fare is 50-75% higher than the lowest offered (non-mileage earning) KE fare on the same flights. So, the only options are to pay the Delta fare not knowing whether it's competitive or not, or pay the cheaper KE fare and forego the miles/MQMs.

So...if anyone knows how to find E fares (including anecdotal evidence the phone reservation staff would understand such a request and be able to assist), please share :-)
http://skymilesoffers.delta.com/airline_partners.php
Look at KE rule 16 at the bottom of the page
Lot's of fares do NOT get KE miles in Coach
16Korean Air:
Mileage may be earned on Korean Air-coded flights operated by Korean Air or any SkyTeam partner. Mileage credit is not applicable for fares booked in B, G, N, Q, A, D, U, X, or V class.

The DL fares on KE look much less then KE fares that will give you mileage.
The KE no milegae fares are < then DL.
So name your poision.
Dates and AP will impact what you want.

Also may be cheaper to do a split fare
Eiether fly to Westcost (LA or SFO) on a domestic ticket and then an international seperate ticket or by buying two one ways.
Sometimes westcoast tickets are lower cost to ASIA due to more competition

Last edited by zman; Sep 19, 2009 at 6:54 pm
Old Sep 19, 2009, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K
http://skymilesoffers.delta.com/airline_partners.php
Look at KE rule 16 at the bottom of the page
Lot's of fares do NOT get KE miles in Coach
16Korean Air:
Mileage may be earned on Korean Air-coded flights operated by Korean Air or any SkyTeam partner. Mileage credit is not applicable for fares booked in B, G, N, Q, A, D, U, X, or V class.
I guess I'm not communicating very well, since that was the point I intended to make to the op.

My follow on question was how to find the lowest fare that WOULD qualify for miles. For example, if KE's frequent flyer program would not give credit for Delta LUT flights, it's easy enough on Delta's web site to look for K or higher fares and find the lowest fare that would qualify for miles. There is no such functionality on KE's website.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
I guess I'm not communicating very well, since that was the point I intended to make to the op.

My follow on question was how to find the lowest fare that WOULD qualify for miles. For example, if KE's frequent flyer program would not give credit for Delta LUT flights, it's easy enough on Delta's web site to look for K or higher fares and find the lowest fare that would qualify for miles. There is no such functionality on KE's website.
If you are going to credit the flight to DL, then what does or does not appear on the KE website is irrelevant. The referenced chart on the DL website is all that matters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.