Search

Different MQM rollover question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2009, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: SM PM, HH Gold, CO Plat, MR Silver
Different MQM rollover question

Thinking about this the other day...

Does it explicitly say that if you earn, for example 135K MQM, that only 10K MQM will rollover into 2010? After this year, I completely agree with 10K rollover, but shouldn't there be 60K rollover from 2009 to 2010?

The reason behind this logic is based on the wording...qualified level. In 2009, the thresholds are only 25K, 50K, and 75K. It isn't until sometime in 2010, that anyone above 125K becomes DM.

If this were the case (which I am sure it is not), this would definitely change how people fly the remainder of the year (2X MQM or not).

Any thoughts?
Old Sep 18, 2009, 10:45 am

Programs: DL PM; AA EXP
From delta.com FAQ section on 2010 proggram:

When will the Diamond Medallion level become effective?
It will become effective in spring 2010. Members who earn at least 125,000 MQMs or 140 segments in 2009 will be recognized as Diamonds as soon as the program begins in spring 2010.

Although the Diamond level doesn't start until 2010, 2009 miles count toward it, so I read it to mean they take 125,000 of this year's miles to qualify for 2010 Diamond, and anything over 125,000 is rolled over to qualify for 2011.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 11:10 am
Original Poster

It is ambiguous...and you could argue it either way.

Having it cleared up early than later (i.e., now), one can speculate, would significantly help/hurt DL's Q4.

I have read so many people that will stop before 125K and earn status on another airline so they role more over into 2010. It hurts the bottom line for DL. However, if the rollover is really (XXX-75)K MQM, then there is even more incentive for those to surpass DM (at least for this year only; the benefit of DM vs. PM is still to be decided). The rules of rollover are extremely clear for 2011 and beyond.

DL can help by clarifying this question soon as it will impact 2009 financials. It would also be more of a reason NOT to do a 2X MQM promotion.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 2:02 pm

Programs: NW Plat, Hilton, Avis
rollover examples from delta

http://www.delta.com/help/faqs/skymi...s.jsp#how_work

hope that link copied OK
Old Sep 18, 2009, 2:41 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Jobless_In_Seattle
It is ambiguous...and you could argue it either way.

Having it cleared up early than later (i.e., now), one can speculate, would significantly help/hurt DL's Q4.

I have read so many people that will stop before 125K and earn status on another airline so they role more over into 2010. It hurts the bottom line for DL. However, if the rollover is really (XXX-75)K MQM, then there is even more incentive for those to surpass DM (at least for this year only; the benefit of DM vs. PM is still to be decided). The rules of rollover are extremely clear for 2011 and beyond.

DL can help by clarifying this question soon as it will impact 2009 financials. It would also be more of a reason NOT to do a 2X MQM promotion.
Seems perfectly clear to me. I think you are hoping it isn't clear but from all the above posts besides your own, it is abundantly clear.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
If DM is not available until Spring 2010, then I think come January 1 and when they go to rollover, it will be based on the current programs: 25, 50, and 75. There is nothing for them to base 125 on come January 1 as it does not exist come January 1. What happens if they decide to postpone the DM program until 2011, are they going to tell all those people to eat the rollover. No. It is only fair to base rollover on the current program, not the anticipated program IMHO.

I have no doubt that they created DM to deal with rollover. They could not afford having people rolling over 100,000 mqm by earning 175,000 mqms. Presumably, without DM, some people could "bank" enough miles to keep status for a very long time - although if you earn that many miles you will get MM anyway.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 4:02 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by GoCanes
If DM is not available until Spring 2010, then I think come January 1 and when they go to rollover, it will be based on the current programs: 25, 50, and 75. There is nothing for them to base 125 on come January 1 as it does not exist come January 1. What happens if they decide to postpone the DM program until 2011, are they going to tell all those people to eat the rollover. No. It is only fair to base rollover on the current program, not the anticipated program IMHO.

I have no doubt that they created DM to deal with rollover. They could not afford having people rolling over 100,000 mqm by earning 175,000 mqms. Presumably, without DM, some people could "bank" enough miles to keep status for a very long time - although if you earn that many miles you will get MM anyway.
Who says they have to "roll over" the MQM's on Jan 1st? I never read that. Those elites from 2009 are qualified through 2/28/10 so the earliest the rollover would occur would be 3/1/2010.

The rollover and the DM are both part and parcel of the "anticipated" program
Old Sep 18, 2009, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by GoCanes
If DM is not available until Spring 2010, then I think come January 1 and when they go to rollover, it will be based on the current programs: 25, 50, and 75. There is nothing for them to base 125 on come January 1 as it does not exist come January 1.
Click the link in post #4. The determination criteria are decided and announced.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
How long are the miles good for. IE if I get 300k EQMs this year do I get 125 Dm 125 DM next year and GM the year after that or do they expire after the second year.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fti
Seems perfectly clear to me. I think you are hoping it isn't clear but from all the above posts besides your own, it is abundantly clear.
To me, it is perfectly clear for year 2010 (qualifying for 2011). I am just bringing up a potentially ambiguous part of rollover for 2009 (qualifying for 2010).

Additionally, the FAQ site quoted above had the following questions:

When will the Rollover MQMs be deposited?
The MQMs will be deposited into members' accounts in early 2010 to add to the 2010 MQM balances for 2011 qualification.

When will the Diamond Medallion level become effective?
It will become effective in spring 2010. Members who earn at least 125,000 MQMs or 140 segments in 2009 will be recognized as Diamonds as soon as the program begins in spring 2010.

If the Rollover MQMs are awarded prior to spring 2010, technically, your award level is PM. This is how I am basing my statements.

From a business perspective, I can't see how it would hurt DL in 2010 if they limited the rollover thresholds to 25K, 50K, and 75K.
- It has been discussed ad nauseum how the benefits are minimally different between PM and DM.
- People are discussing changing flying patterns based on the DM program (i.e., moving business away from DL).
- The people that are typically 125+K MQM/EQM flyers are going to stay 125+K flyers.
- What is the negative effect if there is a substantial amount of MQM rollover? DL even states that there is no maximum on rolloever. Actually allowing more rollover (and remember we're talking about 125K+ flyers) in new program may encourage people to stay with DL (the benefit differences between UA and AA are a completely different subject). Regardless, there are going to be people that will rollover 75K+ MQM.
- Flying patterns in Q4 can be swayed one way or another based on rolloever. People are choosing to fly on other airlines as a result, because they don't want to make DM. Maybe a portion of this lost revenue can be picked up.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by troyintn
How long are the miles good for. IE if I get 300k EQMs this year do I get 125 Dm 125 DM next year and GM the year after that or do they expire after the second year.
I think so, assuming rollover last for more then one year.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by bdnyc
Works fine. Hope this helps: if you want to check to see if a link "copied OK" preview the post before you submit it. Then you can click the link in the preview to see if it works right or not. If not you can edit accordingly.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
This is not the first thread that covers this topic and probably won't be the last. I agree with the OP that the rollover of 2009 miles if you earn more than 125K is ambiguous. In all likelihood DL's plan for DMs is to roll over everything above 125K. But their delay in implementing the Diamond benefits is one of those "inconveniences" that they could compensate for by rolling everything over 75K. DL has ratcheted the expectations of their top level elites so low that a gesture like this would generate an outsized amount of goodwill at a time that the airline really needs it.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Interesting.

If there is indeed ambiguity and if Jobless is correct, that means anyone earning 200K+ EQM in the 2009 calendar year will be Delta Diamond from whenever the program is rolled out (Spring 2010) through February 2012. Interesting indeed! Oh, and that's without flying ONE DL flight in 2010.

-RM
Old Sep 19, 2009, 5:58 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zman
I think so, assuming rollover last for more then one year.
Godd point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.