Skymiles excessive!!

Old Sep 18, 09, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Skymiles excessive!!

I'm fairly new to the frenquent flyer program. Last time I used my miles (2 yrs ago) it cost 30,000 to go Jamacia. At that time I believe it was a set amount for flights .. U.S .. international .. Today I went to there site and it had a "NEW" way of booking with Low, Med, & High on a calander with miles that vary. I tried to book a trip to Jamacia from Michigan I clicked on the med for both outbound and return, result 100,000 miles for ONE round trip ticket!!!! I thought I did something wrong and tried again, same result!! Needless to say I could not believe the amount of miles they are requiring. Does this seem right?? If so I will be cutting my skymiles card up into little pieces!!
Old Sep 18, 09, 10:25 am

Please follow this thread over at SkyMiles.
Old Sep 18, 09, 10:29 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Welcome to Flyer Talk and welcome to the "new" Delta. Unfortunately seeing is believing and it has been discussed a lot on this forum - just take 5 minutes to glance at the first few pages of the forum.

Originally Posted by tntnardo View Post
Does this seem right?? If so I will be cutting my skymiles card up into little pieces!!
That is what a lot of people have been doing - defecting to other airlines.

John
Old Sep 18, 09, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Welcome to FT.

Yes, this is how Delta has setup the SkyMiles program. It is different from what you experienced years ago. I must say though, DL also gives out miles like it is candy so it is easier to accumulate more miles.
Old Sep 18, 09, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tntnardo View Post
I'm fairly new to the frenquent flyer program. Last time I used my miles (2 yrs ago) it cost 30,000 to go Jamacia. At that time I believe it was a set amount for flights .. U.S .. international .. Today I went to there site and it had a "NEW" way of booking with Low, Med, & High on a calander with miles that vary. I tried to book a trip to Jamacia from Michigan I clicked on the med for both outbound and return, result 100,000 miles for ONE round trip ticket!!!! I thought I did something wrong and tried again, same result!! Needless to say I could not believe the amount of miles they are requiring. Does this seem right?? If so I will be cutting my skymiles card up into little pieces!!
Welcome to Delta Airlines and a window into what DL management thinks of its customers.

DL management has substantially devalued the value of DL-NW miles for DL-NW customers who cared to accumulate and try to redeem them for award flights.

Try to use the DL miles on flights operated by partner airlines and you might have some better luck, but do so as soon as possible.
Old Sep 18, 09, 10:40 am

I would definitely cut up your Delta Amex, there are much better credit cards out there (take a look at the Starwood Amex). There are many reasons to fly Delta: schedule, price, status upgrades, etc, but Skymiles itself should not be a motivating factor.

As a practical tip, use continental.com to see if they or Northwest have award availabilty on your dates. You may still be able to get a Skyteam award at the normal redemption level. You will almost certaintly have to call DL to get those tickets (and pay the telehone fee and partner handiling charge... but at least you will get some tickets).
Old Sep 18, 09, 11:32 am

telephone fee being phased out Oct. 1 for sure for GM and up, partner fee is also going away but that may not be til next year...
Old Sep 18, 09, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delta's online award search can be confusing, misleading, and frustrating. DL's award pricing can be very particular--small changes can lead to large increases in mileage required. Getting cheaper redemptions using DL miles requires patience, digging, and luck.
Old Sep 18, 09, 11:43 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by humanoid94 View Post
As a practical tip, use continental.com to see if they or Northwest have award availabilty on your dates. You may still be able to get a Skyteam award at the normal redemption level.
Yes but do it quick. The clock is ticking on these mechanisms of keeping DL.COM honest. There won't be any by the end of October and after that, for redemptions, everyone is in the SM darkness.

Want to bet that we see an outbreak of complaints about this here on DL once the other checking mechanisms have vanished?
Old Sep 18, 09, 12:03 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
Award redemption is by far the most frustrating part of the "best in class" Delta.
Old Sep 18, 09, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by vatraveler View Post
Award redemption is by far the most frustrating part of the "best in class" Delta.
And it's going to get more frustrating as implied below:

Originally Posted by redtailshark View Post
Yes but do it quick. The clock is ticking on these mechanisms of keeping DL.COM honest. There won't be any by the end of October and after that, for redemptions, everyone is in the SM darkness.

Want to bet that we see an outbreak of complaints about this here on DL once the other checking mechanisms have vanished?
Old Sep 18, 09, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL
My 2 cents:

50,000 miles for a BOS-PBI-BOS trip in Y.
65,000 miles for a BOS-SLC-HNL-ATL-BOS trip in Y.

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
And it's going to get more frustrating as implied below:
Exactly.

Belated congrats on 50,000+ posts GUWonder
Old Sep 19, 09, 7:12 pm

I recently searched an enitre year of availability for LAx-SYD and there was not a single award ticket at the low mileage level in coach or business for the entire 11 months. Pretty disheartening.
Old Sep 19, 09, 7:30 pm

It looks as if you got a quote for a Medium availability Premium seat. Make sure you have selected coach at the bottom of the reservation request page, and select dates with LOW availability. If that doesn't work, call the awards desk and see what they can do. I've always found the fee well worth it, because they have found seats for me when I couldn't find them on-line.
Old Sep 19, 09, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by dldkjones View Post
I recently searched an enitre year of availability for LAx-SYD and there was not a single award ticket at the low mileage level in coach or business for the entire 11 months. Pretty disheartening.
I was looking at this the other day, so your post prompted me to check again. Looking at Nov thru March, there IS availability in Y. November, yes. Dec, a little tough. Feb & March has availability!

Outbound: Jan 28,31 Feb 2,3,4,6,7,8,9
Return: Feb 1,2,5,7,8,11,12,13,15,16

Just a very quick search.

Base Fare
100,000 Miles required Taxes/Fees
+ $ 102.17 Taxes/Fees
Redemption Fee
Price per passenger
= $ 102.17 Total
Total

Los Angeles, CA (LAX) to Sydney/Sidney/Australia/Kingsford Smith, Australia (SYD) on 31 Jan 2010
10:55pm
LAX 8:40am
SYD

Arrives 02 Feb Nonstop 14 hr 45 min Delta 17
Boeing 777
In-Flight Services Coach
View Seats

Sydney/Sidney/Australia/Kingsford Smith, Australia (SYD) to Los Angeles, CA (LAX) on 08 Feb 2010
11:25am
SYD 6:10am
LAX Nonstop 13 hr 45 min Delta 16
Boeing 777
In-Flight Services Coach
View Seats

I didn't look at biz class. And I'm NOT Medallion with DL and NOT logged in, so it's not possible that I have access to any "Medallion / Elite" availability

Search this Thread