Upgrading couple - one GM and one PM?

Old Sep 17, 09, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Upgrading couple - one GM and one PM?

I've recently become PM and my wife is still GM. If we are on the same PNR will we be considered separately for upgrades or paired on the list as GMs, the lower status? Do we have to be on separate PNRs to be considered separately?
Old Sep 17, 09, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
I've recently become PM and my wife is still GM. If we are on the same PNR will we be considered separately for upgrades or paired on the list as GMs, the lower status? Do we have to be on separate PNRs to be considered separately?
If you want to:
-Upgrade together: Same PNR, considered together status of lower Elite is used to determine priority.
-Upgrade seperately: Split PNRs, upgrades are indepedent of other person's Elite status.
Old Sep 17, 09, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL MM 3.2, DM; UAL; AAL
You do need to be on separate PNRs for the PM member to clear upgrade within the 5 day window. If the records are not separate, both would clear as GMs. Just call DL and ask that the records be separated; I do it all the time!

Good luck!
Old Sep 17, 09, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the confirmations. It is as I thought I recalled from earlier threads.
Old Sep 17, 09, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL Gold, SPG Gold
My experience is if you have not cleared for upgrade prior to arriving at airport, you will be split on the airport upgrade list with the PM being higher on the list.
Old Sep 17, 09, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by atlantacane75 View Post
My experience is if you have not cleared for upgrade prior to arriving at airport, you will be split on the airport upgrade list with the PM being higher on the list.
That is exactly what happens. I wish DL would keep those on the same PNR together for battlefield u/gs as well. If we wanted to clear individually, we would have already split the PNR.
Old Sep 17, 09, 10:17 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum
No harm in splitting- worst comes to worst, offer your first class seat to the person who is occupying the seat you would have had if you would like to sit together
Old Sep 17, 09, 10:29 pm

Now if you have 2 PM on a same PNR and supposedly at the front of the list. Then 1 seat becomes available, with DL upgrade one and leave the other in coach? Or will DL skip both and upgrade the next PM?

Basically, can a PNR hold two passengers in two different classes?
Old Sep 17, 09, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by fttc View Post
Now if you have 2 PM on a same PNR and supposedly at the front of the list. Then 1 seat becomes available, with DL upgrade one and leave the other in coach? Or will DL skip both and upgrade the next PM?

Basically, can a PNR hold two passengers in two different classes?
I'm almost positive that the single F seat would skip the 2 PMs and go to the next Elite.
Old Sep 17, 09, 11:49 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by sany2 View Post
No harm in splitting- worst comes to worst, offer your first class seat to the person who is occupying the seat you would have had if you would like to sit together
Except for those times when you would rather sit together, regardless of Y or F. I know one or both could take themselves off of the battlefied u/g list by asking the GA, but why not just keep linked PNR pax next to each other in the u/g order, even if the order fell at the lowest medallion level? I know this would still present issues, such as being #2 and #3 and only having two F seats to u/g, but it would limit the issues to times similar to that example. Again, I can always split the PNR if I want to clear individually and then offer the seat to my travel companion and hope that they clear as well.
Old Sep 18, 09, 8:12 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G
Originally Posted by sany2 View Post
I agree with this post. If the F cabin is what you really want and if availability looks good (i.e. Expert Flyer), I would split the PNRs and see what happens. If you, the PM gets the upgrade at the window, then you are only hoping for one more. As noted, pretty much anyone would swap seats unless they are flying with someone else next to them. On say a 763 in an AB or FG or MD-80 in DE two-together situation, moving backwards won't be an issue (unless of course your wife is really hot;-). FWIW, while I don't know if GAs still have flexibility here, should it go to the gate while you are already upfront, I would mention that your wife, a GM, is on the list and if they could work it out....you never know.
Old Sep 18, 09, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndyTLe View Post
I'm almost positive that the single F seat would skip the 2 PMs and go to the next Elite.
On our last trip a week or so ago (my wife and I both as GMs) we were #1 and #2 on the gate upgrade list. I went to the GA to ask if there was only 1F seat available would we be skipped because we were on the same PNR. I wanted to see if my wife could get the one F seat if that was all that was available. The GA's answer was "In this situation, even if two people are on the same PNR, we always ask the first person on the upgrade list if they want just one F seat or would prefer to sit together in coach." Whether this is just what that one GA does or whether it's DL policy, who knows?

Search this Thread