OLCI trap

Old Sep 17, 09, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US silver, DL exGM, UA ex1K (now GM), B6, WN, AA
OLCI trap

I have a CRJ flight tomorrow morning, and did OLCI at 24 hrs thinking I could get a seat assignment at that point (just bought the tix yesterday). It generated a SEAT REQUESTED boarding card. About 2 hrs later, I discovered a seat assignment available. It can be reserved, but doesn't take in the record. Delta web support refused to uncheck me in so I can reserve the seat, which is now available to any Johnny-come-lately over me...
Any suggestions?
(It matters that I DO get on this flight; I do not want a VDB).
Old Sep 17, 09, 1:13 pm

Call delta reservations: 800-221-1212
Old Sep 17, 09, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for playing...

Delta Rez:
I am unable to override that; you have to see the gate agent.
Old Sep 17, 09, 1:29 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Did you tell them why you want them to uncheck you in? If so, probably a mistake.

If you couldn't fly tomorrow, you can't be checked in and receive a credit for future travel. And if you couldn't get to the airport/gate, DL res would HAVE to uncheck you in. Though I hate to say it, let's hope this is not a "best in class" enhancement. NW has unchecked me in on two different occasions with absolutely no problems.

John
Old Sep 17, 09, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by fti View Post
Did you tell them why you want them to uncheck you in? If so, probably a mistake.

If you couldn't fly tomorrow, you can't be checked in and receive a credit for future travel. And if you couldn't get to the airport/gate, DL res would HAVE to uncheck you in. Though I hate to say it, let's hope this is not a "best in class" enhancement. NW has unchecked me in on two different occasions with absolutely no problems.

John
Same with me (on both DL & NW metal).
Old Sep 17, 09, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

Sincere thanks to the responders for trying to help. I'll make another call later on and play a different variant on why I need to un-check in...I'm mostly in shock, since even UA's ICC have the ability to un-checkin.
Old Sep 17, 09, 2:58 pm

whether this is true or not as I was told by delta phone support:

There are some seats blocked off on CRJs and can only be assigned at airport checkin or gate agent. What has happened is that all the available(not blocked seats) have been taken and delta blocked off some seats but then some how released a few more seats to sell i suppose. messed up logic? most definitely.
I dont think you will be VDB'ed or IVDB'ed youll get seat assignment at check-in.
Old Sep 17, 09, 5:14 pm
TTT

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
OP, how were you attempting to change your seat assignment, via Delta.com "My Itineraries" or via Delta.com Check-in? It is my understanding that once you have checked-in for a flight any seat changes need to be made via a check-in system, Delta.com or Kiosk. If you were trying to use the "My Itineraries" section, then that may be why you were unable to change the seat assignment even though there was a seat available. If you were trying through the Delta.com check-in, then I am stumped.
Old Sep 17, 09, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by afsinfo View Post
I do not want a VDB).
Then don't volunteer and you won't get a VDB.

Aside from the advice already offered of checking in again, have you checked to see if the flight is sold out? Given that several seats are held for airport assignment, if the flight isn't sold out, you really don't have much to worry about.
Old Sep 17, 09, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Premier
Originally Posted by justhere View Post
Then don't volunteer and you won't get a VDB.

Aside from the advice already offered of checking in again, have you checked to see if the flight is sold out? Given that several seats are held for airport assignment, if the flight isn't sold out, you really don't have much to worry about.
I think the OP really meant an IDB. And the first people to get the involuntary bump off on Delta are those awaiting a seat assignment.
Old Sep 17, 09, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

OP update

For whatever reasons, they released a single seat on each of my flights at seemingly random times. Since I hadn't checked in for the return, I could grab it. The main point of the posting is now...don't check in at 24 hrs unless you first get to reserve a seat! If not, keep checking. (I'm getting to be more of a WN fan because of this one)

As to the poster suggesting a difference between my-itineraries and check-in, neither one worked. When I tried to return to checkin, I was offered only to reprint the current boarding pass. I was permitted to select the open seat for the checked-in flight but when I selected SAVE, no assignment was made. Web support confirmed the hypothesis that I had no options to grab the seat, and Rez was willing to un-check me in if I cancelled the reservation...

As noted, tomorrow, in the morning, I'll be at the gate early, and will likely get on, but there are no alternate DL flights that get me to the event I'm going to. As a former very frequent flyer, I got used to dealing with special services, and high priorities, so it has been a long time without sweating a stand-by for seating situation...
Old Sep 18, 09, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Closingthe story...

I used the checkin kiosk and found 13B (last row, across from the bathroom, non-reclining) assignment had already been done before my arrival (good thing since nobody Delta showed at the actual gate until boarding time). There were 2 empty seats on the flight and 13A moved to 7D (non-reclining, in front of exit row), so I ended up in 13A with an empty seat next to me. Alls well that ends well.

In the end, totally unnecessary worrying because they weren't overbooked at the end. More importantly,got to the event, and did what needed to be done. Thanks to all who answered...

Search this Thread