FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   at 54k eqm....Proceed to plat? or take silver elsewhere? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/996058-54k-eqm-proceed-plat-take-silver-elsewhere.html)

alison11 Sep 17, 2009 12:54 pm

at 54k eqm....Proceed to plat? or take silver elsewhere?

Having a difficult decision. Given the lack of a *clear* benefit between DL gold and dl platinum, I am wondering what do do. I cannot decide.

My first thought is to go get me a CO silver, which will turn in to Star Alliance Gold come next year.

any opinions on this? thanks

Gargoyle Sep 17, 2009 1:13 pm

Get another 10k to 15 MQM's, stop before you reach 75k.

You'll have Gold for 2010 and start out with the rollover 15k - 20k making FO or GM much easier for 2011.

WBurcham Sep 17, 2009 1:14 pm

The "benefit" is a significantly better upgrade priority, selection of 75K threshold gifts (next year, 6 PMU's this year).

CO Silver will NOT = *Gold. CO Gold will.

fti Sep 17, 2009 1:26 pm

The diff in benefits between GM and PM is, as was stated above, not much - threshold gifts or PMU's (80% of PMU's go unused per DL, so worthless to most people), and the upgrade priority.

If it were me, depending on travel patterns, I would either get just under 75K with DL or get CO SE. I am purposely avoiding getting to 125K MQM since I absolutely think the benefits for DM are minimal vs. PM.

John

griffey3032 Sep 17, 2009 1:57 pm

It really depends on where you travel. If you do more international flying then the PMUs would be good for you because you could use them for those flights. If you fly domestic more often then I would save the miles and rollover so that it is easier to have status next year.

jlpearson Sep 17, 2009 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by alison11 (Post 12396453)
Having a difficult decision. Given the lack of a *clear* benefit between DL gold and dl platinum, I am wondering what do do. I cannot decide.

My first thought is to go get me a CO silver, which will turn in to Star Alliance Gold come next year.

any opinions on this? thanks

I did the exact same thing... I have decided that DL Gold and CO silver was the best way to go. I am looking at the CO Silver as insurance against any upcoming "enhancements" to Skymiles that we may not know about yet.

Stripe Sep 17, 2009 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by jlpearson (Post 12396919)
I did the exact same thing... I have decided that DL Gold and CO silver was the best way to go. I am looking at the CO Silver as insurance against any upcoming "enhancements" to Skymiles that we may not know about yet.

You can get the CO "insurance" by asking CO for a status match. They will match you to Gold through Feb 2011 without you earning any EQMs this year.

sryan2k1 Sep 17, 2009 2:34 pm

I woud go for PM, I live in DTW so we fly NW/DL a lot, and the benefits I see are better upgrades, and award travel fee waivers. I know I am going to get ~100 EQM/MQMs this year, maybe more, but I don't see the benefit of DM for 2010, so I am going to try and stay as close to 124k as I can.

pbd456 Sep 17, 2009 2:42 pm

just fly what u need, and if u want to move to CO. do a status match.

a few reasons to fly:
1) triple rdm (rdm + elite bonus + amex bonus).
2) rollover.

if u are close to 75k, then reaching PL would give another 20K rdm.

i have 54k eqm now, and have booked trips with 73eqm. i will probably reach PL since it is cheaper to fly this year than next (because of amex bonus), and i can roll over extra for next year eqm.

so. if u find a good deal or have to fly, fly dl/nw. if not, i would just not bother.

fti Sep 17, 2009 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe (Post 12396963)
You can get the CO "insurance" by asking CO for a status match. They will match you to Gold through Feb 2011 without you earning any EQMs this year.

But status match is only once-a-lifetime. Perhaps the OP doesn't want to use his one-and-only chance for that at this point, but perhaps it is a good option. Just so s/he knows it is not something s/he can do more than once.

mersk862 Sep 17, 2009 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by fti (Post 12397156)
But status match is only once-a-lifetime. Perhaps the OP doesn't want to use his one-and-only chance for that at this point, but perhaps it is a good option. Just so s/he knows it is not something s/he can do more than once.

Amen.

For the record, while I'm in a slightly different boat, I'm thinking Platinum on Delta and Premier Executive on United (*Gold) is a better option for me than DL Diamond.

economan Sep 17, 2009 5:00 pm

Same boat, but I am going for it due to companies tendancy for DL. Also no award ticket redemption fees (I know, I have found a few low mile fares though) and the better upgrades aren't bad, if I ever pull a transcon it might be important.

ResSalesGuy Sep 17, 2009 11:49 pm

[QUOTE=fti;12396648]The diff in benefits between GM and PM is, as was stated above, not much - threshold gifts or PMU's (80% of PMU's go unused per DL, so worthless to most people), and the upgrade priority.

If it were me, depending on travel patterns, I would either get just under 75K with DL or get CO SE. I am purposely avoiding getting to 125K MQM since I absolutely think the benefits for DM are minimal vs. PM.
]

I can understand PM vs DM, but definitely not GM....the Elite line alone will make the difference....and the enhanced availablity....They are estimating 450k gld members...150k Pm...Huge difference when it comes to upgs..

ResSalesGuy Sep 17, 2009 11:52 pm

I am looking forward to reading some posts Early next yr from members who have "diamond envy" though....:-) ...Just my opionion as someone who speaks to hundreds of Elite members each week!

pbarnette Sep 18, 2009 3:21 am

Originally Posted by fti (Post 12397156)

I swear that someone was recently told by CO that it is once every 5 years.

Regardless, I don't see the need to go for status if it is strictly for "insurance". If you get upset with DL in the future, just match at that time. Why get a sub-optimal experience in the near-term when the match already offers you an out?

I would only go for GM + SE if you see a real need to fly CO over the next year. If you will be taking more than a trip or two with them, then I would do the split, if only to save on the bag fees.

I would also bear in mind that CO is running a Double EQM promo right now. Since you are on track for Plat, I assume this means you have an additional 25k to fly, so you could conceivably reach CO Gold on the cheap. That would be more attractive than SE.