Waited to Link Account, Need Award Flight

Old Sep 16, 09, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum
Waited to Link Account, Need Award Flight

So... the better half procrastinated to move his Worldperks account to a skymiles account. I'm trying to book a ticket, and was able to locate a ticket on the NWA site, but its 100k miles, better flights are available on the Delta awards page for 62.5k.
It seems that you can no longer move the accounts. If he calls in, will it be possible to get the DL flights? If it helps he's silver elite.
Old Sep 16, 09, 11:57 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.1MM, EK Gold, SQ Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by WIRunner View Post
better flights are available on the Delta awards page
Honestly, I think thats the first time I have EVER seen this phrase used.
Old Sep 17, 09, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLATL777 View Post
Honestly, I think thats the first time I have EVER seen this phrase used.
I was surprised myself.
Old Sep 17, 09, 12:08 am

Programs: DL PM, CO plat, Exec Emerald, amex plat, anything else good
Actualy, it has happened to me every single time I checked northwest vs delta. NW always wanted more miles. I have noticed a few others in my boat but we do seem to be the minority.

Back on topic, to the OP, if I understand you correctly, are you trying to book DL flights via NW with WP miles, and the DL flights you want aren't showing up on northwest?
Old Sep 17, 09, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reddawngrl View Post
Actualy, it has happened to me every single time I checked northwest vs delta. NW always wanted more miles. I have noticed a few others in my boat but we do seem to be the minority.

Back on topic, to the OP, if I understand you correctly, are you trying to book DL flights via NW with WP miles, and the DL flights you want aren't showing up on northwest?
Jackpot.

MKE-PDX and PSC-MKE
I can't get the connection via SEA or SLC on the NW site so its not showing any flights.
If I go to the DL page i can get a better flight arrival time on the MKE-PDX, as well as being able to see the PSC-MKE.
Two of the legs are on AS, i'm not sure if that helps or not.
Old Sep 17, 09, 12:23 am

Programs: DL PM, CO plat, Exec Emerald, amex plat, anything else good
Jackpot.

MKE-PDX and PSC-MKE
I can't get the connection via SEA or SLC on the NW site so its not showing any flights.
If I go to the DL page i can get a better flight arrival time on the MKE-PDX, as well as being able to see the PSC-MKE.
Two of the legs are on AS, i'm not sure if that helps or not.
I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it or not, but if hubby has no status on NW, that may be the reason those preferred flights are not showing as available for booking. Like on Delta, medallion members get more flight options when booking awards than general members. I tend to think that's why NW has always wanted more miles from me for the same exact flights, because I have no status with them.

the other reason may be this. I believe it may have been late last year when I was told this so who knows the validity now. Not all of delta's award flights are available to NW and vice versa, as in they didn't have full access to each other's inventory.

I would just call NW and ask for the flights you want and see what they can do.
Old Sep 17, 09, 5:33 am

Programs: Red Sox Nation
Call whichever airline you want to book the ticket on. I called Delta when I wanted to move miles from NWA to book an award ticket with them. They said, due to the upcoming merge of the programs, users can no longer transfer miles online.

They put my award itinerary on hold, transferred the miles (it took a couple of days) and waived the extra booking fee for using the phone.
Old Sep 17, 09, 6:31 am

Programs: DL Silver/MM, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by amlothi View Post
Call whichever airline you want to book the ticket on. I called Delta when I wanted to move miles from NWA to book an award ticket with them. They said, due to the upcoming merge of the programs, users can no longer transfer miles online.

They put my award itinerary on hold, transferred the miles (it took a couple of days) and waived the extra booking fee for using the phone.
This is good news. So we can still have the miles transferred by a DL or NW agent, but just can't do it ourselves online? I transferred all to NW, but now am thinking this might have been a mistake, as I want to try for a SQ intra-Asia award after using NW miles to get to NRT from HNL (only 70k for J rather than 140k with DL).
Old Sep 17, 09, 7:18 am

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
Use the Northwest Multi City function and see if that will work for you with the connections. I use it all the time when non stops are not available. Try MKE-SEA-PDX, PSC-SEA-MKE or MKE-ATL-PDX, PSC-ATL-MKE, etc. If both legs price out at the low 12,500 or 22,500 (first class) it will ticket both legs at the lower rate and you will pay 25,000 or 45,000 (first class). If you post the dates you are looking at, myself or someone else can look for you as well.
Old Sep 17, 09, 9:44 am

Programs: AA MM, UA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm trying to book a ticket, and was able to locate a ticket on the NWA site, but its 100k miles, better flights are available on the Delta awards page for 62.5k.
MKE-PDX and PSC-MKE
Egads, are you really considering spending 62.5K miles for a mid-con flight?
Old Sep 17, 09, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by reddawngrl View Post
I would just call NW and ask for the flights you want and see what they can do.
That's the best advice. Quit messing around trying to find an itin on nwa.com or delta.com. For several months now NW miles can be used at all three DL award levels, so there's no need to ask for a favor to move miles to DL.
Old Sep 17, 09, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikew99 View Post
Egads, are you really considering spending 62.5K miles for a mid-con flight?
I plan on making it worth wild. Gonna force a connection thru ATL. In first.
Not overly concerned with the miles. There's loads and loads of them.

As for calling NW, the account is in his name. But I'll be flying. Is this going to be a problem? Usually I just log in as him, and put my info in as the traveller.
Old Sep 18, 09, 12:10 am

There is an internal process to transfer enough miles to top off a nw acct or a sm acct if needed to complete a booking....The airline that is requesting the miles would initiate the xfer from the other....
You would call DL, make the booking and then that agent will request the miles to be transferred from NW to top off the SM acct and then the tickets are issued...
Old Sep 18, 09, 1:26 am

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by ResSalesGuy View Post
There is an internal process to transfer enough miles to top off a nw acct or a sm acct if needed to complete a booking....The airline that is requesting the miles would initiate the xfer from the other....
You would call DL, make the booking and then that agent will request the miles to be transferred from NW to top off the SM acct and then the tickets are issued...
Thanks ResSalesGuy for being helpful! This is good news for the short term if we are in a pinch. Even if I won't use this proceedure, thanks to DL for having this customer friendly policy.

Search this Thread