Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

What happened to ATL-DKR, the DKR hub, and DKR-NBO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2009, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium

Earlier this year, Delta was advertising in print daily non-stops from ATL to DKR, using DKR as an African hub, and non-stops from DKR to 10 other African airports, including NBO.

I successfully priced flights back then on delta.com. Now I want to book them, and it looks like it all fell apart. No ATL-DKR. No DKR hub. And no Delta metal to NBO. Can anyone fill me in?
Old Sep 16, 2009, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
Originally Posted by 925
Earlier this year, Delta was advertising in print daily non-stops from ATL to DKR, using DKR as an African hub, and non-stops from DKR to 10 other African airports, including NBO.

I successfully priced flights back then on delta.com. Now I want to book them, and it looks like it all fell apart. No ATL-DKR. No DKR hub. And no Delta metal to NBO. Can anyone fill me in?
Dunno, but I'm similarly miffed. Ended up booking ATL-JNB on DL and then JNB-CPT on SA, wanted ATL-DKR-CPT on DL. AMS-CPT exists but is priced waaay high on KL.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA.AV
Interesting. The loads on SA are very light which I put down to people being turned off by the rapidly increasing crime in South Africa and the artificially high Rand. Maybe Delta choked in the weak market? They will find the Australian market tough too as QF and TE are real down and dirty competitors.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Cymbo
Interesting. The loads on SA are very light which I put down to people being turned off by the rapidly increasing crime in South Africa and the artificially high Rand. Maybe Delta choked in the weak market? They will find the Australian market tough too as QF and TE are real down and dirty competitors.
The loads to JNB on Delta appear to be pretty robust. CPT never seemed to take off, for reasons that are unclear to me.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I am unaware of any "rapidly increasing" crime in South Africa. Crime has always been a problem there, but is it truly "rapidly increasing?" The Rand, as of today, is at 7.31 per dollar, which is not bad. It was 4.95 when I first went to ZA circa 1998, peaked at around 11 Rand per dollar in the early part of this decade, and has fluctuated in the 7-9 range since except for a spike in late 2008 when it approached 11 again. 7.31 is well within the historical range.

As to the OP, this addressed the Delta plans for the African market as a whole, not just the South Africa component of it. The true African mini-hub in the original plan was primarily at Sal Island, not DKR, FWIW.

I think the route expansion was the victim of both logistical problems operating in Africa, particularly those relating to security arrangements, as well as economic ones during this recession. NBO still got a 777 out of the deal, though, and JNB got nonstop service, so not all was doom and gloom.

Once the economy comes back, I would hope to see expansion plans back on the front burner, provided the security arrangements can be worked out.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:12 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion
http://www.africanflyer.com/category/delta-airlines/

from the above site:

Delta postpones start of Nairobi service indefinitely
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009

Delta Airlines’ inaugural flight from Atlanta to Nairobi, Kenya was canceled today and the route shelved indefinitely “following a decision by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security that the agency required more time to review these flights.” Flights were scheduled to operate via Dakar, Senegal.

I was planning some trips to Nairobi myself from NYC via DKR, guess I will have to use KLM via AMS.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Robert Leach

Once the economy comes back, I would hope to see expansion plans back on the front burner, provided the security arrangements can be worked out.
Yes, it will be more improvable the economic must to be more recoverable for next year in 2010. They are fixing the globalization economic is in progress to get more money back on the track. I knows TSA is denied approval for ATL-DKR-NBO due to too many violence in Kenya. It was too much vulnerabilities try to get being killed with someone. This is not safe for you in NBO at all. You have try to fly someplace else instead of NBO. This is not specific time for you. It need to console up to fly another flight out of ATL-JNB is perfect time for you. You will try to have more enjoyable for your entire trip on DL. Security need try to get more protections with the passengers & the crew, too. It will be secure the flights.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
I think the routes had several problems all at once.

First, the economy tanked. If people aren't buying the J seats, I doubt the route is sustainable.

Second, NBO got caught with a tanking economy AND violence in NBO. I'm sure DL didn't want to fly into that (pun intended) particularly.

Third, security is an issue in African airports.

Fourth, Dl may end up petitioning to do some code shares to NBO and other cities using associate member Kenya Airways.

Fifth, Cape Town has been experiencing significant crime, or at least was last year when I was there. Not only are many leaving the area, the police publicly suggest that homes not only have private security, but armed response should be added (by the alarm company). I think longer term CPT will be a good destination for DL. But right now, perhaps, there isn't enough support for this and a variety of other reasons. J'berg is probably a better destination right now for biz reasons.

Dave
Old Sep 17, 2009, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by 925

Flights to Nairobi (NBO), Monrovia (ROB), Malabo (SSG) and Luanda (LAD) have been postponed until further notice. The Department of Homeland Security and TSA were not satisfied with the security (airfield, passenger, and other) at these airports. DL will not be allowed to start service until the TSA and DHS are properly satisfied with the airport, airfield and passenger security.

The flights to Cape Town (CPT) were cancelled during capacity reductions this summer which eliminated marginal flying as a response to the global recession.

The only DKR flights in the mean time are JFK-DKR and DKR-ABV (Abuja, Nigeria).
Old Sep 18, 2009, 8:45 am

Just curious, how is the yield or load to ABV (Abuja, Nigeria)? Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by aeolos
Flights to Nairobi (NBO), Monrovia (ROB), Malabo (SSG) and Luanda (LAD) have been postponed until further notice. The Department of Homeland Security and TSA were not satisfied with the security (airfield, passenger, and other) at these airports. DL will not be allowed to start service until the TSA and DHS are properly satisfied with the airport, airfield and passenger security.

The flights to Cape Town (CPT) were cancelled during capacity reductions this summer which eliminated marginal flying as a response to the global recession.

The only DKR flights in the mean time are JFK-DKR and DKR-ABV (Abuja, Nigeria).
At the end of the day WHAT THE HELL does the TSA's opinion have to do with anything. They rescreen pax at the entry point.

The FAA's approval, I can understand.

Finally, how are BA,AF,KL,LH & other international airlines finding it safe enough to fly there?
Old Sep 18, 2009, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WBurcham
At the end of the day WHAT THE HELL does the TSA's opinion have to do with anything. They rescreen pax at the entry point.
I agree, but if the TSA doesn't like the security situation in a foreign country, the airplane can't land in the USA.

Finally, how are BA,AF,KL,LH & other international airlines finding it safe enough to fly there?
I posted something similar when the TSA shut down the flights on the eve of their start date. Perhaps their governments aren't quite as arrogant? Maybe those other countries haven't entrusted morons (like we're stuck with at the TSA) with making such important decisions?
Old Sep 18, 2009, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I know where NBO passengers must to be rescreening at gate E17. Isn't exactly same as LY security measures. Because security need to get more stricter due to too much violence in Kenya. It will must to be more cautions to need more protected the passengers & the crew, too. I think TSA need to get random screening at the gate door before entrance into the aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.