ATL-LAX on NOV 29; 7 BE Aircraft. 3 777s, 2 764, 2 763.

Old Sep 16, 09, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.1MM, EK Gold, SQ Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
ATL-LAX on NOV 29; 7 BE Aircraft. 3 777s, 2 764, 2 763.

I was looking over some schedules today and noticed that on November 29th, for ATL-LAX (not LAX-ATL), almost every single aircraft on that day has been switched to one with BE . On this day, there are 3 777's (2 LR's, 1 ER), 2 767-400ER's with the new seats, and 2 767-300ER's. I assume this has something to do with coping with the weekend-after-thanksgiving demand, but I cannot ever remember seeing such wide(r)-body presence on this route, and I have been flying it once or twice a week for 3 years.

Last edited by DLATL777; Sep 16, 09 at 2:57 pm
Old Sep 16, 09, 11:31 am

IIRC Sunday initially is scheduled as the day that the GRU 763 was to go back to JFK. They may be sending it back to ATL instead.

Another point, the domestic 767's have been getting parked more & more often so routes like this that require heavy lift will have intl birds going on them because the domestic options aren't there.
Old Sep 16, 09, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.1MM, EK Gold, SQ Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by WBurcham View Post
IIRC Sunday initially is scheduled as the day that the GRU 763 was to go back to JFK. They may be sending it back to ATL instead.

Another point, the domestic 767's have been getting parked more & more often so routes like this that require heavy lift will have intl birds going on them because the domestic options aren't there.
While this may be true, every single aircraft I reported above is literally traveling ATL-LAX; I did not even look at LAX-ATL.

Further, I noticed this incredible influx ONLY occurs on the 29th and 30th. After that, the route returns to being operated by the typical AC. This seems to back up my initial observation that DL is only doing this accommodate the large rush of Thanksgiving passengers.

Can anyone comment on whether this is the first domestic turn for the 767-400ERs with the new product? IIRC this will in fact be its first trip inside the US.
Old Sep 16, 09, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by DLATL777 View Post
While this may be true, every single aircraft I reported above is literally traveling ATL-LAX; I did not even look at LAX-ATL.

Further, I noticed this incredible influx ONLY occurs on the 29th and 30th. After that, the route returns to being operated by the typical AC. This seems to back up my initial observation that DL is only doing this accommodate the large rush of Thanksgiving passengers.

Can anyone comment on whether this is the first domestic turn for the 767-400ERs with the new product? IIRC this will in fact be its first trip inside the US.
Wow my mistake.

Strange, very strange. Especially as I didn't think there were spare 764's in the system at that point.
Old Sep 16, 09, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
With capacity reduction throughout commercial aviation, airlines now have a lot more flexibility with their fleets. The Sunday after Thanksgiving day is the busiest travel day of the year. Good luck to the staff working in LAX that day dealing with the extra capacity.
Old Sep 16, 09, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
DL has, in contrast, cut some ATL-DTW runs on the 29th.
Old Sep 16, 09, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL Platinum & MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
They're sending a BE 767 to PDX as well on the 29th, in addition to a domestic 767. Normally ATL-PDX is a 757, a 737, or a really annoying 737 with only 3 rows of F.

I managed to use a PMU for the BE 767, so looking forward to that flight
Old Sep 16, 09, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Premier
No fun upgrades on BOS-ATL or ATL-MSP (last year I took a 767-400 with the old BE seats on BOS-ATL). Still on a 737-800 connecting to a MD-80 (in F).

Search this Thread