What Kind Of Wine Did I Drink?

Old Sep 15, 09, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
What Kind Of Wine Did I Drink?

I flew Delta MD88 F class today, Florida to Connecticut, and was served a delicious Chardonnay (I think). Being as it was one of the best that I have tasted I naturaly wanted to purchase a bottle fom my local supplier. Unforunately the FA had no idea what it was since there was no label on the bottle.

Does anybody have any idea what Delta is serving in this category or do they just re-bottle their own from leftovers on other flights?
Old Sep 15, 09, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT/f
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo View Post
I flew Delta MD88 F class today, Florida to Connecticut, and was served a delicious Chardonnay (I think). Being as it was one of the best that I have tasted...

You think it was a Chardonnay, but in any event it was one of the best that you have ever tasted? Perhaps you might expand your horizons and try a wine that retails for more than $12.
Old Sep 15, 09, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post

Perhaps you might expand your horizons and try a wine that retails for more than $12.
Really??? How helpful is that??

I actually had a great Semillon in DL BE a few weeks back.

OP: Wish I could identify the wine for you. I wish you luck.
Old Sep 16, 09, 9:16 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
It seems the same wines are offered on domestic flights for extended periods. Perhaps you can find out on your next journey.
Old Sep 16, 09, 9:21 am

Programs: New to United
Here is an update on international wine in economy:

Delta introduces boxed wine in international economy class
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Sept. 1, Delta will introduce Tetra Pak pourable paperboard wine containers as a replacement for the glass red and white wine containers in international economy class on all international flights offering BusinessElite service or a complimentary meal in coach. The boxed wine was approved by Delta’s wine consultant, Master Sommelier Andrea Robinson.

“We essentially consulted Andrea for a second opinion to ensure that the new packaging was as good as we had before, if not better. In her view, the Tetra Paks are far superior in quality,” said Peter Wilander, managing director-Onboard Services.

Tetra Paks are the newest form of cost-effective packaging for the wine industry. The containers are airtight, pourable 1-liter containers with screw-on tops made of up to 75% eco-friendly and recyclable paperboard. Using the new containers will allow Delta to reduce weight and conserve provisioning and trash space on international aircraft.
Old Sep 16, 09, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I saw the Tetra-Paks on JFK-PSA last week. A guy behind me inquired andthe FA remarked it was for less weight and less waste. People drinking it weren't screwing up their faces, but like Australian wine in a can, I'm just not ready for it.
Old Sep 16, 09, 10:33 am

Wow... boxed wine in economy...grrrrrrreat... well I guess how much worse can it be than the FishEye? They'd also reduce weight by pouring from 750ml bottles instead of their individual servings... perhaps not as much but it would have been a much better alternative...
Old Sep 16, 09, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post

You think it was a Chardonnay, but in any event it was one of the best that you have ever tasted? Perhaps you might expand your horizons and try a wine that retails for more than $12.
There's a lot of horrizons in less than $12 wine. But I might be willing to spend more if somebody can identify what they served me on that domestic flight.
Old Sep 16, 09, 3:40 pm

Like a college picnic

We just had the boxed red wine on a flight from ATL to LHR. It was a lot like a college picnic, wine from a box into a plastic cup. But hey, there were no quibbles about free re-fills, it tasted fine, and for my money, it's a better option than being limited to one at mealtime.
Old Sep 16, 09, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by NHFL9 View Post
Wow... boxed wine in economy...grrrrrrreat... well I guess how much worse can it be than the FishEye? They'd also reduce weight by pouring from 750ml bottles instead of their individual servings... perhaps not as much but it would have been a much better alternative...
It's not even boxed - they saved the weight of a carton. And, as I said, people drinking it near me offered no complaints.
Old Sep 16, 09, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, HH/SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
The carton wine that I imbibed of heavily TATL was Bandit; I've purchased this personally and it's very good for some purposes.
Old Sep 16, 09, 4:27 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by icurhere2 View Post
I've purchased this personally and it's very good for some purposes.
Old Sep 16, 09, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by NHFL9 View Post
Nothing wrong with Tetra Paks for wine. There is an article in the Oct 15th issue of Wine Spectator that talks about the boxed wine category (including Tetra Paks) and notes increasing quality. The ratings for the wines mentioned in the article (generally in the mid to upper 80s) are about what you would expect from a cheap bottled wine.

The wine may not be great wine, but putting it in a bottle wouldn't change that. Even if you believe that a traditional bottle with cork is critical for the aging process, this isn't wine to be aged. There is simply no reason to dress it up in a bottle. Let's be honest, you are getting table wine, so who cares what it comes in? I see no reason not to go with the Tetra Pak - it is perfectly suited for the needs of an airline.

And note that they are getting rid of glass AND moving away from single-serving wines. The wines will be served from 1 liter containers.

Last edited by pbarnette; Sep 16, 09 at 4:45 pm
Old Sep 16, 09, 4:45 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Originally Posted by pbarnette View Post

And note that they are getting rid of glass AND moving away from single-serving wines. The wines will be served from 1 liter containers.
If they can serve me a one liter container, I will have no complaints.
Old Sep 16, 09, 6:06 pm

A lot of DL's domestic white wines come from Wente.

Search this Thread