Creative itineraries worthwile?

Old Sep 15, 09, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, Priority Club Platinum Elite
Creative itineraries worthwile?

I have often seen in my searching for low fares that DL.com often will give you a direct flight to your destination, whereas if I go to Expedia, I can get a dual legged trip that often has me connecting through some out of the way place. The normal person would just automatically take the direct flight, but if the connection adds on (in some cases) significant mileage, is it worth the hassle to connect?

Anyone out there look specifically for these weird kinds of itineraries? And if so, any good booking venues to find such?

Look forward to the feedback if any...
Old Sep 15, 09, 5:45 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia., SPG Gold, MR Plat
There are specific connections I will avoid such as ORD. Otherwise unless you are trying to build miles or segments I personally prefer the direct flight, especially in the winter. I hate getting stuck overnight halfway home because of a connection.
Old Sep 15, 09, 6:32 am

I do this because I'm still rather young (22) with plenty of time to burn in case things go wrong. I did ATL-JFK-LAX-SYD-LAX-JFK-ATL to pick up 21,440 MQM while ATL-LAX-SYD-LAX-ATL is 18,860 MQM, so extra 2,580 MQM.

I also don't mind being in airports or planes (even in Y) so I can tolerate a LOT of flying to squeeze out some extra MQMs. Whether adding, for example, 6 hours to your trip each way + risk of delays/missed connections for an extra 2,580 MQM is worth it depends on your personal situation, for most it's probably not worth it.
Old Sep 15, 09, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
I've done it before (i.e. LAX-ATL-DFW) without problems. If you need the miles/segments, it might be worth it. Just a note, there might some weird fare rules but that is rare (i.e. the online travel sites might cobble together multiple seperate segments to make it look like one cohesive trip. IF there are any IRROPs, DL's computers might have issues rebooking you. Also SDC might also be an issue in some cases.)
Old Sep 15, 09, 7:43 am

Programs: DL DM (MM), SPG/Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, LH Never Ever Again!
I travel plenty now to get whatever status I want and need but a few years ago I found a goldmine of ATL to BOS to JFK to SVO to ATL/JFK to LAX to CVG to JFK to ATL fares that were the same price or a few dollars more than the non stop from ATL to SVO to ATL. It added a day to my trip on the return but got me all the MQMs I needed for nearly not a dollar more. I think I flew that route 2 or 3 times in one year actually on trips to Russia.

I booked everything on Delta.com myself but found that the system could not handle so many segs sometimes. At check out, it would give me a confirmation number and then tell me to call a number which took me straight to India. They would confirm everything and immediately I would get an itin emailed to me.

I am not promising this will happen to you and it has never happened to me since but one time on such a run the guy in India confirmed my itin, emailed it to me, and I flew the trip. The charge never showed up on my AMEX. I waited for more than a year for it to. I even called Delta a few times during that year to tell them. They said there was no sign of it. I know it existed because I flew it and got every MQM and bonus that was possible. It's been a few years since that happened and I still wonder what kinda technical loophole was there that allowed that to go through. I don't know and I am pretty sure it is gone now.

So in my book YES it is worth it to work such creative routes to your advantage.
Old Sep 15, 09, 8:07 am

Programs: DL DM & 1MM, CO-PE, AA
Originally Posted by dollerman73 View Post
I have often seen in my searching for low fares that DL.com often will give you a direct flight to your destination, whereas if I go to Expedia, I can get a dual legged trip that often has me connecting through some out of the way place. The normal person would just automatically take the direct flight, but if the connection adds on (in some cases) significant mileage, is it worth the hassle to connect?

Anyone out there look specifically for these weird kinds of itineraries? And if so, any good booking venues to find such?

Look forward to the feedback if any...
On the west coast you used to be able to fly LAX-SJC on Y-only RJ aircraft or LAX-SLC-SJC on B757+MD90 where a 1st class cabin was available and as PM your upgrade was nearly sure.

I did it a couple of times when I had a long report to write or presentation to prepare...
Old Sep 15, 09, 8:43 am

Programs: DL, CO, UA, HH
I'm the same way. I'm flying DL at the end of the month to go to STL. My return is STL-MSP-DTW-ATL-SAT. Granted I get to spend 5 hrs overnight in DTW, but I've got nothing else to do, so why not?

I always try to force a double connect when I fly, especially since I don't get to fly for business often.
Old Sep 15, 09, 9:16 am

I almost always try to route my west coast trip returns to MCO through JFK (the outbounds don't connect). So instead of SEA/SFO/LAX-ATL-MCO I go SEA/SFO/LAX-JFK-MCO. Adds 2 hours but at least 1,000 MQM's and miles to each trip.
Old Sep 15, 09, 9:28 am

As long as you are fine with the time, and (especially in winter) the risk of missed connections due to weather and equipment issues, go for it.

When I was regularly traveling between LAN and GEG for two years, there were several options. If I was in a hurry, drive down to Detroit and do United on DTW->SFO->GEG. If I was lazy, United on LAN->ORD->SFO->GEG. If I had time, however, I'd rack up miles, usually with ridiculous itineraries on Delta such as (the longest string I remember) LAN->DTW->CVG->ATL->ORD->SLC->GEG

Search this Thread