First Delta Flight, a few questions

Old Sep 14, 09, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Plat Mariott Gold UA Gold NEXUS
First Delta Flight, a few questions

Wife, Brother, Myself, Our 3 year old and what will be 5 month old are on our way to Australia on Delta (for a ridiculously low price of $840 ea round trip in January / Feb from LAX).

Have never flown Delta and have learned that bassinnettes can't be reserved but must be arranged with the GA (interesting, but at least they have them). Therefore, in your esteemed experiences, how long before a flight do Delta GA's show up (if someone has particular experience on the LAX - SYD route, please do chime in) so that I might make annoyance of myself (yes, I'll be one of THOSE types standing there when they arrive) in order that we might make this hellishly long flight in cattle class a little more bearable?

Secondly, I am not sure (since I have never flown Delta before I'm not sure their flight patterns match mine) we'll have much to do with Skymiles. Would it be advisible in your opinions to pool them together to arrange a free flight in the future (I see a transfer "bonus" is on but we're not going until January). Do they expire?
Old Sep 14, 09, 10:25 pm

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
Usually there's someone ~90min prior for INTL. Couldn't hurt to show up a bit earlier. Seems wrong that they won't put in the request in advance... perhaps it's not confirmed until day of, but i would think they would add it to the reservation?

As for miles, yes they expire, and no you can't pool them. Each person has to have their own account, and while you can "transfer," the fee charged is basically the same value as the miles themselves.
Old Sep 14, 09, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Plat Mariott Gold UA Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by ifette View Post
Usually there's someone ~90min prior for INTL. Couldn't hurt to show up a bit earlier. Seems wrong that they won't put in the request in advance... perhaps it's not confirmed until day of, but i would think they would add it to the reservation?

As for miles, yes they expire, and no you can't pool them. Each person has to have their own account, and while you can "transfer," the fee charged is basically the same value as the miles themselves.
I called and they said it's all arranged by the GA. Once the tickets are issued, I'll call and ask again (maybe the first person I spoke to was being unhelpful, shocking) .

OK re the miles. Do childrens tickets earn miles (I see the infant does not on their web site but it doesn't say anything about my 3 year old)? The transfer cost appears to be 1 cent a mile plus the transfer fee (there's about 20,000 for a flight to Australia). You're right that's not very good value. Do they have a donate to charity option anywhere?
Old Sep 14, 09, 11:02 pm

Sky Wish
Old Sep 14, 09, 11:23 pm

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
Yes, children earn miles too if they're on a full fare ticket. If it's a 10% infant in arms ticket, I don't think they would earn miles.

As to other ways to spend, you could just get another 5,000 miles (purchase or just fly a roundtrip to some place like MCO or SFO), round trips within N. America start at 25,000.

Search this Thread