I predict Delta to plummet in the years ahead

Old Sep 13, 09, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond Medallion, AA Executive Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP
I predict Delta to plummet in the years ahead

What can I say.. who is really satisfied with this new airline today? From the worthless miles to the outrageous award redemption costs, to just about everything, this airline is screwing it all over for themselves and I think they pretty much deserve it given their greed and incompetence of how to satisfy former NWA customers.
Old Sep 13, 09, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Originally Posted by mike101 View Post
What can I say.. who is really satisfied with this new airline today? From the worthless miles to the outrageous award redemption costs, to just about everything, this airline is screwing it all over for themselves and I think they pretty much deserve it given their greed and incompetence of how to satisfy former NWA customers.
Considering Delta is now the largest carrier in the world, I suspect there are indeed some people who are more satisfied than you are.

Perhaps Delta has just made a decision that there are certain customers that are not worth keeping, and the changes are designed to coerce those unprofitable customers to take their business elsewhere.
Old Sep 13, 09, 4:29 pm
TTT

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Oh good, I was hoping another one of these threads would pop up.

To the point, I have been fortunate in that I have not experienced anything the OP has described. I have booked quite a few award tickets this year at levels that I felt reasonable and have not experienced any of the technological or service issues others seem to have experienced. YMMV, of course.

Last edited by TTT; Sep 13, 09 at 4:35 pm
Old Sep 13, 09, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Gold, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, SWDgold, Choicepl, HYgld
As an outsider (CO and UA elite) who rarely flies DL or NW I will miss them both. I have nothing but good things to say about the NW and DL and the new DL combo. Mergers are hell but this has been pretty good in my view. Again I do not fly them as much as most here but I have enjoyed every trip this year. I think the airline will be a success...
Old Sep 13, 09, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The OP is welcome to burn his miles today on NW, CO, or any of the WorldPerks partners. What, can't find an award you like?
Old Sep 13, 09, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PMMMDL View Post
Considering Delta is now the largest carrier in the world, I suspect there are indeed some people who are more satisfied than you are.

Perhaps Delta has just made a decision that there are certain customers that are not worth keeping, and the changes are designed to coerce those unprofitable customers to take their business elsewhere.

Please.. you are the best example of the Delta mentality. Selecting only profitable customers? Are you insane? lol that is like saying Macys should only be open on Saturdays.. Furthermore, it's being the largest airline is a product of the merger, once the merger is finalized, you will see the numbers decline and AA overtake Delta. Why don't you go to the NWA discussion board and see how many are jumping ship..

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
The OP is welcome to burn his miles today on NW, CO, or any of the WorldPerks partners. What, can't find an award you like?
Yes which is why everyone is burning their miles now before the merger happens because of how worthless their miles will become once SkyMiles takes over WorldPerks come October.

Originally Posted by TTT View Post
Oh good, I was hoping another one of these threads would pop up.

To the point, I have been fortunate in that I have not experienced anything the OP has described. I have booked quite a few award tickets this year at levels that I felt reasonable and have not experienced any of the technological or service issues others seem to have experienced. YMMV, of course.

You are probably a US-based customer who flies domestic frequently.. (and I am also a US-based customer just for the record).. so if this is the case, then I can see how you are going to be satisfied with Delta.. but flying internationally to and from is another case.. people can use 40K with AA to fly roundtrip to Europe.. the same flight would be 60K with Delta.. you can book exactly the same itinerary on NWA with lower fees and miles.. with Delta.com you pay hundreds more.. time to jump ship!

Last edited by Canarsie; Sep 13, 09 at 4:56 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Sep 13, 09, 4:56 pm

Selecting only profitable customers? Are you insane? lol that is like saying Macys should only be open on Saturdays..
What's so insane about it? There are plenty of business that increase their profitability (that is the job of a business, after all) by dumping customers whose behavioral patterns indicates they are costing the company revenue (award deposit/reissue anyone?)

Just a couple examples:

http://www.insurancenewsnet.com/arti...nnID=768660943

http://www.bc.edu/clubs/gasa/week_8_to_13.htm
Old Sep 13, 09, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nfg05 View Post
What's so insane about it? There are plenty of business that increase their profitability (that is the job of a business, after all) by dumping customers whose behavioral patterns indicates they are costing the company revenue (award deposit/reissue anyone?)

Just a few examples:

http://www.customerthink.com/blog/sp...able_customers

http://www.insurancenewsnet.com/arti...nnID=768660943

http://www.bc.edu/clubs/gasa/week_8_to_13.htm

Please that should not even be argued. Business is a win-lose game.. if Delta can create a good reputation for itself then it will attract and maintain all customers it currently has.. the good and the bad, rather than shoe away the "bad" customers.. and with that some good ones as well, while creating the reputation of some small airline catering to the few.. and in turn shrink back to what it once was (3rd or 4th largest airline)..

Bottom line is their international flights suck. If other airlines (including NWA) with hubs in Asia, Europe etc can offer much cheaper redemption awards and fees, why must theirs be double or triple? Are they run by monkeys or are they just overwhelmed with the new business that NWA-KLM has brought in

Oh by the way, to follow up on your links.. all of them criticize Sprint's moves to "fire" their customers.. furthermore, this is an example of getting rid of Sprint's 1000 worst and most abusive customers (aka.. a few people out of their 50M subscribers). Do not let your love for Delta blind you, that is not the issue here.. Delta is not firing its unprofitable customers, it is practically absorbing NWA domestic business and screwing over international business while advertising itself as "the most global airline".. well not for long.

Last edited by mike101; Sep 13, 09 at 5:14 pm
Old Sep 13, 09, 5:16 pm

Programs: LH SEN, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Bottom line is their international flights suck.
I don't think you can generalize like that. I, for example, am a very satisfied international customer of DL. Their international coach product is okay and they fly direct to a lot of places, especially to Germany, where I'm from.

For me DL is the best option departing from FRA or MUC to the U.S. Skyclubs at both airports and a better coach product than LH, UA or US. CO and AA don't even fly to Munich.

IMO, they have the ability to succeed. That success will be measured by their profit and not by your success rate of redeeming miles, so you might not like it - but I don't think the grass is greener at other airlines.
Old Sep 13, 09, 5:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP; WN A-List; Hyatt Expl; MR/CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Delta's network will attract many customers because of their network and good hard product. Not to mention a more generous domestic upgrade scheme than most of the competition.

They really dropped the ball on their loyalty program, but my guess is that a minority of fliers is motivated enough by that to switch. The FT crowd is almost by definition focused on rewards and I believe that causes a lot of the bias seen here (mine included). If you value a rich FF program, use awards ex-US, value EQM through BIS effort then the new DL is not for you.

Apart from that, the LCCs are still growing and will one day (AirAsia, RyanAir/AirLingus anyone?) start to compete on the last legacy hold-out of international travel. That will be the time for more downsizing.
Old Sep 13, 09, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by acjflyer View Post
I don't think you can generalize like that. I, for example, am a very satisfied international customer of DL. Their international coach product is okay and they fly direct to a lot of places, especially to Germany, where I'm from.

For me DL is the best option departing from FRA or MUC to the U.S. Skyclubs at both airports and a better coach product than LH, UA or US. CO and AA don't even fly to Munich.

IMO, they have the ability to succeed. That success will be measured by their profit and not by your success rate of redeeming miles, so you might not like it - but I don't think the grass is greener at other airlines.
Well I guess if you never look over the fence you would think the grass is greenest with Delta... I'm glad you brought up Europe.. how do you feel about being able to use 40,000 AAvantage miles to get to Germany versus 60,000 with Delta? just curious
Old Sep 13, 09, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by robbert View Post
Delta's network will attract many customers because of their network and good hard product. Not to mention a more generous domestic upgrade scheme than most of the competition.

They really dropped the ball on their loyalty program, but my guess is that a minority of fliers is motivated enough by that to switch. The FT crowd is almost by definition focused on rewards and I believe that causes a lot of the bias seen here (mine included). If you value a rich FF program, use awards ex-US, value EQM through BIS effort then the new DL is not for you.

Apart from that, the LCCs are still growing and will one day (AirAsia, RyanAir/AirLingus anyone?) start to compete on the last legacy hold-out of international travel. That will be the time for more downsizing.
I concur with this timely and insightful post and give it a huge +1. It echoes my feelings as well. This is DL's strategy for better or worse. Time will tell of its success.

Safe Travels.
Old Sep 13, 09, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robbert View Post

OIC, so basically you just admitted that Delta's strength is certainly not it's award program.. so what is it then? The blue leather seats? I know for a fact that Delta has always been more expensive.. even with this new merger NWA/Delta tickets have risen and even United and AA tickets originating from Minneapolis (a NWA hub) are now cheaper. If this great product you are describing is their business class/crown room/credit card (American Express??), or something else.. then I got news for you.. those "elite services" I listed also involve a lot of frequent fliers which we agreed are somewhat screwed with the SkyMiles program.
Old Sep 13, 09, 5:26 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion
I am not sure if the being the world's largest airline is necessarily better but Delta serves my needs. Yes, they have pissed me off a few times but then again no company or person is perfect in this world and that includes me. BTW, when Delta has pissed me off, they usually try to make amends.
Old Sep 13, 09, 5:32 pm

If you feel like spending miles for Y tickets, looks like AA to Europe can be cheaper.

For international J. DL & AA have the same basic prices (100,000 ; 200,000).

Search this Thread