Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I predict Delta to plummet in the years ahead

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2009, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by idayvuelta
They are the world's largest airline and arguably our best carrier.
If true that would really be a really sad reflection on the rest of the industry. From DOT's Air Travel Consumer Report reflecting July data:

Delta & Comair are 2nd worst & worst for #'s of consumer complaints

ASA & Comair (both fly exclusively for DL) are worst & 2nd worst for on-time arrivals, DL is in the bottom 1/3 at 13/19.

Our favorite regionals ASA & Comair are worst & 2nd worst for IDB's, DL is barely in the middle 1/3 at 12/19.

Pinnacle, Comair & ASA come in at 16, 17 & 18 of 19 for mishandled baggage; again Delta is barely at the bottom of the middle 1/3 at 11/19.

Comair, ASA & Pinnacle are 1, 3 & 4 of 19 for cancelled flight operations; DL is mid-range at 11/19 (rankings were reversed in this category -- high is bad, low is good)
In each of the 5 categories above, there are at least 3 other legacies (not counting NW which also usually ranks higher than DL) with better rankings than DL.

If Delta is "arguably our best carrier", one has to ask, "best of what"?
Old Sep 14, 2009, 7:56 am
k2

Originally Posted by pbarnette
I mean, this whole "DL is a Southern airline" has become the standard explanation for the host of detractors, even when other explanations make a lot more sense. It doesn't pass the sniff test. Feel free to keep saying it, but I'll keep calling it hooey.
Perception: DL is a southern airline (yes, that is the perception)
Reality: these days that is hooey

DL's relentless campaign to associate 'world's largest' with the brand is proof enough that perception is a powerful force.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 7:57 am

Programs: legions, foreign and domestic
Originally Posted by bubbashow
In the "OLD" days, $99 transcons didn't exist. Airlines were allowed (told) to charge a fare that would make them money. If people were willing to pay more, the product would probably improve. The race to the bottom is consumer driven, not airline driven.
Well, the consumers weren't the ones demanding deregulation. The airlines did it to themselves.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 8:09 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Mosaic 3, ⓥ for the animals
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
If true that would really be a really sad reflection on the rest of the industry. From DOT's Air Travel Consumer Report reflecting July data:[INDENT]

ASA & Comair (both fly exclusively for DL) are worst & 2nd worst for on-time arrivals, DL is in the bottom 1/3 at 13/19.

Our favorite regionals ASA & Comair are worst & 2nd worst for IDB's, DL is barely in the middle 1/3 at 12/19.

In each of the 5 categories above, there are at least 3 other legacies (not counting NW which also usually ranks higher than DL) with better rankings than DL.

I'm including NW at this point and speaking wholistically. While WN is a lovely airline (serious!) they are simply not a realistic airline for people whose world goes beyond Tampa and Omaha. This is exacerbated by their lack of flying partners, alliances, and code shares (to say nothing of their lack of a real elite program, and the fact that I have never been able to find a better deal on Southwest). I'm New York based and their recent entrance into Laguardia is helpful but still doesn't do enough to address the nation's largest air market and financial capital. That in essence leaves the NW/DL/KL/AF group, UA/LH, AA/BA/IB, US, and CO. Whoever the "best" airline is, as you point out, still woefully inadequate. It's definitely arguable and obviously dependent on where one lives. However I think you could make an argument that Delta presents the best overall product for the money.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 8:34 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by bubbashow
In the "OLD" days, $99 transcons didn't exist. Airlines were allowed (told) to charge a fare that would make them money. If people were willing to pay more, the product would probably improve. The race to the bottom is consumer driven, not airline driven.
  1. In the 1970's I flew charter airlines a lot (on old 707s) because they were < 1/2 price than major carriers. IMO the difference back then was that major airlines did not try to compete with charters for the bottom and that charters were a relative small sector of the TATL business.
  2. I just finished an LAX-ZRH-LAX flight for which I paid $250+tax (for a return ticket, not OW!). With the double miles and the PM bonus I got 39828 miles! That is more than the ticket if you use Pay-By-Miles (PBM)! Hence, I can't imagine how the "bottom is consumer driven"! When I see the global picture I think DL keeps making bad choices, and how the problem is "airline driven"! They have started reducing flights to adjust to the lower demand and that is a good start.
  3. From a policy perspective, IMHO DL has opened a Pandora's box through a combination of, skymile promotions left and right, PBM, rollovers, unhappy ~100k MQM PMs, and very cheap TATL/TPAC airfares. BTW I still don't understand how DL would even sell LAX-ZRH-LAX tickets at such a low price when a sLUT LAX-ATL-LAX is typically >$280+tax. They need to reduce flights even more and raise prices, period!
Old Sep 14, 2009, 8:35 am

Programs: DL D & MM, Marriott P, Hilton S, UA, US, AA
In your hands

Originally Posted by mike101
What can I say.. who is really satisfied with this new airline today? From the worthless miles to the outrageous award redemption costs, to just about everything, this airline is screwing it all over for themselves and I think they pretty much deserve it given their greed and incompetence of how to satisfy former NWA customers.
I you are really that dis-satisfied it's easy, take your business somewhere else.

As for me, I have flown Delta for years . And the number of times that they mess up is far less than the number of times that they have done right by me when something goes wrong. Because of company policy, I sometimes am forced to fly other airlines (CO, UA, US, SW). In most cases I have had worse experieces with them than anything I ever experienced on DL.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 9:02 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
If true that would really be a really sad reflection on the rest of the industry. From DOT's Air Travel Consumer Report reflecting July data:

Pinnacle, Comair & ASA come in at 16, 17 & 18 of 19 for mishandled baggage; again Delta is barely at the bottom of the middle 1/3 at 11/19.

Comair, ASA & Pinnacle are 1, 3 & 4 of 19 for cancelled flight operations; DL is mid-range at 11/19 (rankings were reversed in this category -- high is bad, low is good)

Please don't confuse us with FACTS

I'm including NW at this point and speaking wholistically. While WN is a lovely airline (serious!) they are simply not a realistic airline for people whose world goes beyond Tampa and Omaha. This is exacerbated by their lack of flying partners, alliances, and code shares (to say nothing of their lack of a real elite program, and the fact that I have never been able to find a better deal on Southwest). I'm New York based and their recent entrance into Laguardia is helpful but still doesn't do enough to address the nation's largest air market and financial capital. That in essence leaves the NW/DL/KL/AF group, UA/LH, AA/BA/IB, US, and CO. Whoever the "best" airline is, as you point out, still woefully inadequate. It's definitely arguable and obviously dependent on where one lives. However I think you could make an argument that Delta presents the best overall product for the money.
Hmm. WN carries more domestic passengers than any other US airline. I think they fly to more than TPA and OMA!

I think you are making a case that Delta presents the best overall product for the money FOR YOU. But not overall. Probably hard to say that any airline is "best" overall. And you do know the whole code share and partner hype is just that - hype. Even before alliances (and now) you can interline luggage and check it through to your final destination with most airlines, for example. Yes, it helps with FF earning and redemption but honestly, not too much else.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 9:09 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mike101
What can I say.. who is really satisfied with this new airline today? From the worthless miles to the outrageous award redemption costs, to just about everything, this airline is screwing it all over for themselves and I think they pretty much deserve it given their greed and incompetence of how to satisfy former NWA customers.
That's funny - in the past 6 years I've used about 1.1M skymiles all at the Low or formerly SkySaver rate. I earn miles at an awesome rate so even if I had to pay Med it really wouldn't be that bad.

NWA customers need to learn a new economy is all. Sure some things cost a little more, but you earn a lot more. You guys look at things two one dimensionally. However I do think they should transfer your miles over with at least a 20% bonus to kind of level out the economy.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats

Great diatribe on WN!

Unfortunately the post to which you're responding has nothing to do with WN and doesn't even mention WN.

Anything you can contribute that might shed some light on Delta's dismal D.O.T. stats?
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:14 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by kylemore
^

Things that I like:

-Unlimited upgrades, even as an FO and GM. You don't get this on UA/AA
-Great route network throughout most of the US
-Usually the cheapest (or at least competitive) fares to where I want to go
-Usually friendly service
-Very flexible during IRROPs and in dealing with schedule changes
-Best hub in Europe, for those times when you can't find a flight from ATL/JFK that works
-DC-9s

Things that tick me off:

-Weak same day travel options compared to NW
-Tied to AMEX
-Blatant PR speak that is not commiserate with reality (Best in Class?) ***this one really annoys me, maybe more than anything else Delta is doing***

Maybe in the future I will match to CO and give *A a shot but thus far I remain more than satisfied with Delta.
Good points.. I would especially agree that the AMEX thing is one that grates my nerves... I do not care for AMEX and the reality is that it is NOT as widely accepted as VISA or MC.

Fort the other posters who pointed out the changes to CO's milage earning policies for thrid party bookings.... Thanks for the info... I will take that into consideration this fall...
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
Maybe the mod's should consider a sticky "Anti-Delta Rants" and these sort of threads could be consolidated.
I am still waiting for any facts backing up OP's assertion that DL flies to Africa for the sole reason that some Atlanta politicians want them to. If there are no facts, then perhaps the comment is extememly inappropriate for this forum.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by fti
Please don't confuse us with FACTS

Hmm. WN carries more domestic passengers than any other US airline. I think they fly to more than TPA and OMA!
Absolutely. They still do no fly internationally, and are only recently entering some of the largest markets in the United States.

I think you are making a case that Delta presents the best overall product for the money FOR YOU. But not overall. Probably hard to say that any airline is "best" overall.
Which is exactly what I said. "It's definitely arguable and obviously dependent on where one lives. However I think you could make an argument that Delta presents the best overall product for the money."

And you do know the whole code share and partner hype is just that - hype. Even before alliances (and now) you can interline luggage and check it through to your final destination with most airlines, for example. Yes, it helps with FF earning and redemption but honestly, not too much else.
Disagree wholeheartedly - and try interlining on southwest when you want to go to one of the thousands of destinations to which they do not fly. Again, for those who fly to Tampa or Omaha or Islip it's irrelevant. To those who fly, say, Detroit - Sandakan, Malaysia it makes a difference. The alliance benefits provided to frequent travelers are tangible as well (leaving aside the "real" purpose of the alliances). And considering that the Malaysia flight was on an 60,000 mile award (and given the forum) it seems insane to brush aside "FF earning and redemption." They are important (perhaps even central) drivers in the airline choices for many FFers.

Unfortunately the post to which you're responding has nothing to do with WN and doesn't even mention WN. Anything you can contribute that might shed some light on Delta's dismal D.O.T. stats?
I was going through the other US-based options, which necessarily includes WN (as you and others mention, the #1 carrier by PAX in the US).

But fair enough - I'm not defending DL's statistics per se anyway. ("Whoever the "best" airline is, as you point out, still woefully inadequate.") That said, you like to tout the DOT statistics, which are interesting but not that compelling.

Using the most recent report most recent report DL in fact lags behind in many categories. Consumer Complaints is, perhaps, the most telling. Southwest has .28/100,000 emplanements, most of the majors have about 1/100,000, and Delta has a whopping 2/100,000. These standings (double US Air for criminey's sake?!) should embarrass Delta. But they don't mean a whole lot to me. The vast overwhelming majority of people have incident-free flights with luggage arriving as promised.

Without rehashing the same tired arguments, the bottom line is I flew Northwest extensively, Continental and American occasionally, and used to fly United and US Air (in addition to international carriers whenever possible). I am largely driven by price and fly to diverse (random?) destinations both domestically and internationally. That has seen me flying more and more of Delta lately, and in almost every instance I have been pleasantly surprised. The JNB-ATL flight was on par with the best international Y experience on any us-based or foreign airline - which is an incredible statement. There is a laundry list of things Delta needs to fix - particularly their IT capabilities, customer service, and their performance in the statistics is ridiculous. Their hard product is arguably tops. Soft product is generally considered better than most. Skymiles is a decent (if not "best in class") program. Their network is really excellent (both foreign and domestic). And pricewise they are often the best deal. It's a debatable whether they're the "best" US airline to be sure. However I doubt many would nominate our beloved NWA for the title, no matter how good WorldPerks was. As always, YMMV.

Last edited by idayvuelta; Sep 14, 2009 at 1:48 pm
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by dickinson
Maybe the mod's should consider a sticky "Anti-Delta Rants" and these sort of threads could be consolidated.
I am still waiting for any facts backing up OP's assertion that DL flies to Africa for the sole reason that some Atlanta politicians want them to. If there are no facts, then perhaps the comment is extememly inappropriate for this forum.
+1 - I gave that poster the benefit of the doubt, but the insinuation he is making is offensive and should not get a pass.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:33 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
+1 - I gave that poster the benefit of the doubt, but the insinuation he is making is offensive and should not get a pass.
I think it was unsubstantiated and to me it did not appear to be credible, but I don't think it was offensive. Many on FT give their opinions on a wide range of issues without any backup data. For about 3 months there were hundreds of posts with "guesses" on the DM mileage qualification, and DM "best-in-class" benefits, for example.

Personally what I have found really offensive is:
- the DL.com misleading chart at http://www.delta.com/components/popu...ram_detail.jsp
- the accusation by Jeff that PMs were abusing the Award Ticket Redeposit/Reissue Waiver and thus that they needed to eliminate it
I think we are all smart enough to filter what is factual, probable, and guesses; without a the need for censure. That is the strength of an open forum like FT.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:41 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Most of the chronic complaints I have seen about DL on FT are from NWA flyers that were Platinum by virtue of lots of the cheapest fares and "gaming" the system.

Their major complaints were that they could not get international flights for the cheapest number of miles, and they couldn't upgrade international flights on the cheapest fares.

I postulate that DL might well have determined that these particular customers do little to enhanse Delta's bottom line, and as such have little interest in their complaints and whether they stay with Delta or move their business to another airline.

All the ranting in the world on FT will not change Delta's policies in a case such as this.

Money talks, and something else walks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.