FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   seating upgrade possibility (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/994532-seating-upgrade-possibility.html)

suec1 Sep 13, 2009 10:09 am

seating upgrade possibility

I really did look for the answer to this before posting:p but after scanning and searching I did not find it - don't visit this forum often! I have a flight coming up and hope to be upgraded to business class (ATL to SEA). I have a Delta plat. AMEX - I am on the upgrade requested list which pretty much tells me zippo about my chances. Is there anything I can do to improve my chances - arriving at the airport early showing cleavage?:D Seriously, how are the upgrades given out - I booked about one week out - the flight is quite full in economy with over half the forward cabin (business? 1st class?) open. Thanks!

dickinson Sep 13, 2009 10:26 am

Are you a Delta medallion? If so, are you Silver, Gold or Platinum? What fare designation did you purchase?

dickinson Sep 13, 2009 10:32 am

Three postings in seven years! You need to hang around here a little more often.:)
The cleavage option is recommended. It may not help your upgrade chances, but the male passengers on your flight will be highly appreciative. ;)

suec1 Sep 13, 2009 10:45 am

L fare, silver medallion, minimal cleavage:rolleyes:and I usually hang out on the Fodor's Europe forum.

GBadger Sep 13, 2009 10:47 am

L fare, Silver on ATL-SEA has very little chance at an upgrade, AMEX Plat or not. Sorry!

There will be plenty of plats clearing for upgrades, and maybe a gold or two.

dickinson Sep 13, 2009 10:49 am

L is a highly discounted fare, and of course Silvers are last on the upgrade list. Watch the vacancies in the forward cabin when Platinums clear at 5 days and Golds clear at 3 days. If there are still plenty of seats, your chances for an upgrade are good.

suec1 Sep 13, 2009 12:05 pm

Thanks I won't get my hopes up and I'll either eat lunch or take something on the plane - I didn't want to spoil my appetite if I was going to get some food on the five hour flight! Will I probably not find out if I have been upgraded until I get to the airport?

CarolDisney1 Sep 13, 2009 12:29 pm

I suggest spoiling your appetite if you do get upgraded.
It's Delta airline food, not worth getting excited over IMHO.

GBadger Sep 13, 2009 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by suec1 (Post 12373660)
Will I probably not find out if I have been upgraded until I get to the airport?

I'm guessing you would not find out until you are 2 minutes from boarding the plane.

cbalaska Sep 13, 2009 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by CarolDisney1 (Post 12373747)

I could not agree more!

RobOnLI Sep 13, 2009 12:56 pm

Remember not to board the plane if your name is pretty high up on the gate information display system (GIDS). GIDS will show you where you fall on the upgrade list and how many seats are available.

If you're #5 on the list and there are only two seats open, I'd board. If you're #5 on the list and there are 5 seats open I'd wait.

Once you board the plane you are removed from the upgrade list. IMHO, this is a down fall of DL's upgrade system at the gate. But it is what it is.

-RM

sagemont Oct 7, 2009 5:18 pm

On the flip side of this, how about the DL red-eye from SEA to ATL? Looking at the seat maps for the next 3 days or so, it looks like there's about 5-10 seats in First open on those night flights. Plat & Gold should have cleared by now, no? So a FO/SM would stand a fairly reasonable chance of getting the upgrade?

I'm particularly interested in this because I want to do a MR out to SEA in a couple of weeks from ATL, & the flight out there should put me at FO level, so I should be eligible for an upgrade on the return flight?

Flying_Duck Oct 7, 2009 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 12373864)

Once you board the plane you are removed from the upgrade list. IMHO, this is a down fall of DL's upgrade system at the gate. But it is what it is.

-RM

Everytime I see this statement I wonder how to reconcile it with the multiple times I have seen a lucky person being hauled up from coach to F, usually preceded by the gate-agent over the intercom asking for <name> to push the call button.

KLC Oct 7, 2009 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by sagemont (Post 12562419)
On the flip side of this, how about the DL red-eye from SEA to ATL? Looking at the seat maps for the next 3 days or so, it looks like there's about 5-10 seats in First open on those night flights. Plat & Gold should have cleared by now, no? So a FO/SM would stand a fairly reasonable chance of getting the upgrade?

I'm particularly interested in this because I want to do a MR out to SEA in a couple of weeks from ATL, & the flight out there should put me at FO level, so I should be eligible for an upgrade on the return flight?

You just have to remember that upgrades are based on available inventory, so there may well be a number of Plats and Golds who haven't been upgraded yet, and would be ahead of Silvers for the upgrade lottery at the gate.

Dovster Oct 7, 2009 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by cbalaska (Post 12373829)
I could not agree more!

Originally Posted by CarolDisney1 (Post 12373747)

I won't comment on domestic flights but Delta gave me two big shocks this year.

1. The food in Biz Elite TLV-USA was absolutely great (especially the steaks). This was true on all three segments that I flew.

2. On my fourth segment, in Economy, it was actually very good. (Admittedly not up to Biz standards, but that is only to be expected.)

This is the first year that I have ever experienced this on Delta.