FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Skymiles ROA (rules of the air)? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/994421-skymiles-roa-rules-air.html)

nnightmar Sep 12, 2009 9:33 pm

Skymiles ROA (rules of the air)?

Hi there! Long time NW WorldPerks member here. Wondering if there are any tips on how to maximize my earning potential with the newly merged Delta. I have seen a few Skymiles "enhancements" which I am a bit skeptical about. I definitely trust the opinions here more than Delta's marketing department...

Appreciate any tips, advice or wisdom offered in advance!

nfg05 Sep 12, 2009 9:39 pm

Sorry but I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.

Burj Sep 12, 2009 9:41 pm

When you ask about maximizing your earning potential...do you mean normal skymiles or MQMs (status miles)?

As much as I hate to say it, one good way to earn lots of both is to get one of the Delta branded American Express cards.

Depending on your spending you can get status with hardly any flying!

Even if you don't spend much, there are often promotions tied to having a Delta AMEX card...

For instance right now you get double skymiles for Delta flights *IF* you have a Delta Amex card...you don't even need to have BOUGHT the ticket with the card!

This cozy relationship has evolved over years and entails Amex giving Delta large amounts of money and Delta "printing" miles to give to Amex...and much like paper currency, once you just start printing your way out of a hole, it loses it value FAST...

nnightmar Sep 14, 2009 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Burj (Post 12371656)
When you ask about maximizing your earning potential...do you mean normal skymiles or MQMs (status miles)?

As much as I hate to say it, one good way to earn lots of both is to get one of the Delta branded American Express cards.

Depending on your spending you can get status with hardly any flying!

Even if you don't spend much, there are often promotions tied to having a Delta AMEX card...

For instance right now you get double skymiles for Delta flights *IF* you have a Delta Amex card...you don't even need to have BOUGHT the ticket with the card!

This cozy relationship has evolved over years and entails Amex giving Delta large amounts of money and Delta "printing" miles to give to Amex...and much like paper currency, once you just start printing your way out of a hole, it loses it value FAST...

Sorry for the confusion. I guess the goal is truly to reach qualifying miles. I mean more miles only is fine but between capacity controls, blackout dates and award fees well its less than an ideal proposition...

Good tip about the Amex card! That is a nice little secret I didn't know about. Thanks!!!

Evan! Sep 14, 2009 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by nnightmar (Post 12379925)
Sorry for the confusion. I guess the goal is truly to reach qualifying miles. I mean more miles only is fine but between capacity controls, blackout dates and award fees well its less than an ideal proposition...

Good tip about the Amex card! That is a nice little secret I didn't know about. Thanks!!!

1) Fly Delta, NW, DL/NW partners, SkyTeam airlines (FC P, F, A, C, D, J, I, and S fares earn the most MQMs on DL coded flights. For coach it's Y,B, or M fares that earn the most. here)
2) DL Amex as stated before but reach the spending thresholds to get MQMs
3) Earn miles (not just points) with Hilton stays through Oct 15, 2009. (here)
4) Pray for another MQM "gift" that many of us received earlier this year. :D

Right now I can't think of other ways of getting MQMs but I might have missed one (some).