crazy prices

Old Sep 12, 09, 12:22 pm
rzb
Original Poster

crazy prices

Right now, delta.com pricing for a non-stop MCO-LGA or MCO-JFK flight RT departing 4/9/10 and reutrning 4/11/10 is over $600. What to do? (I have a commitment that weekend and need to be in NYC)
Old Sep 12, 09, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by rzb View Post
Right now, delta.com pricing for a non-stop MCO-LGA or MCO-JFK flight RT departing 4/9/10 and reutrning 4/11/10 is over $600. What to do? (I have a commitment that weekend and need to be in NYC)
You will never find good prices this far out....
Old Sep 12, 09, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Alot of times DL does not release seats in their lowest fare classes this far out. I would suggest either waiting a month or so to book, or booking with a different airline that releases their cheap seats earlier.
Old Sep 12, 09, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
try about 1-3 months until your departure date...should be much lower
Old Sep 12, 09, 12:31 pm

Also this is the week after the Easter holiday and it may still be considered a peak time to travel.
Old Sep 12, 09, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Using the dates of the OP...

AirTran RT MCO-HPN (non-stop) for $150
AirTran RT MCO-LGA (non-stop) for $219
Northwest (aka Delta) RT TPA-LGA (non-stop) for $239
Northwest (aka Delta) RT TPA-LGA (via DTW) for $296
Delta RT MCO-EWR (via CVG) for $302
Delta RT MCO-EWR (via ATL) for $304
American RT MCO-JFK (non-stop) for $364
Continental RT MCO-EWR (non-stop) for $399

www.kayak.com used for research.
Old Sep 12, 09, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
At least not on Delta.
Old Sep 12, 09, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls View Post
At least not on Delta.
$239 sounds pretty reasonable to me. All the NW and DL fares are cheaper than the CO and AA fares.

Care to explain your comment more fully so we can plumb the depths of your profound and oh so helpful wisdom?

Last edited by PMMMDL; Sep 12, 09 at 1:31 pm
Old Sep 12, 09, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
I just tried to find fares for Southwest Airlines for comparison. However, WN is only "Now accepting reservations through March 12, 2010."
Old Sep 12, 09, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by AndyTLe View Post
I just tried to find fares for Southwest Airlines for comparison. However, WN is only "Now accepting reservations through March 12, 2010."
Touche'

Bet there is no assigned seats either!

Moooooooooo.
Old Sep 12, 09, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
Ditto!

OP: If you wish to travel on DL, I'd suggest booking about 1 month prior...
Old Sep 12, 09, 4:03 pm
rzb
Original Poster

crazy prices

merci beaucoup to all responders. malheureusement my sidekick refuses to use tpa. her airport of choice is mco. i guess i will just wait untill closer to travel date to book the trip from mco to feed my skymiles addiction!
Old Sep 12, 09, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Originally Posted by PMMMDL View Post
$239 sounds pretty reasonable to me. All the NW and DL fares are cheaper than the CO and AA fares.

Care to explain your comment more fully so we can plumb the depths of your profound and oh so helpful wisdom?
Delta is over $300.

Yes, NW is less, for now. Rev. Mgmt. might still be mercifully separate.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
About 3 years ago it basically became impossible for us to plan travel months out on Delta. I typically buy 6-8 months ago (e.g. we're booked thru the end of WN's schedule and we have a couple tickets this Oct. (NW, LH) that were purchased last Dec. & Jan. With Delta these days a prudent purchaser just can't do that.

Last edited by obscure2k; Sep 12, 09 at 7:32 pm Reason: Referring to Air Tran Pax as "Gator Chow?" Offensive.
Old Sep 13, 09, 2:22 pm
VIB

Currently, for these dates, Delta's lowest fare is $202.80, plus $15.20 7.5% US excise tax, plus $9.00 9/11 fees, plus $4.50 JFK/LGA passenger facility charge, plus $4.50 MCO passenger facility charge, plus $7.20 US flight segment tax for a total of $239.20.

All you have to do is find flights with U class available. Right now, it would appear that Delta's sophisticated revenue management system hasn't opened up any U class seats in this O & D market. Or, highly unlikely, other buyers have already snapped up all the U class seats.
Old Sep 13, 09, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
merci beaucoup to all responders. malheureusement my sidekick refuses to use tpa. her airport of choice is mco. i guess i will just wait untill closer to travel date to book the trip from mco to feed my skymiles addiction!
I have a coworker who does that flight a lot, the prices will drop closer to the date. HE can snag a last minute fare sometimes for $200. If WN does not list the route yet it will be through the roof, until then.

Search this Thread