Stay or Jump Ship to CO?

Old Sep 11, 09, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Stay or Jump Ship to CO?

I am gold with Delta through the end of the year. Right now I have 36K MQM miles. I fly out of Boston or Providence

I have one big trip to LA planned, this one is a treat and I am going First Class (paid). This is definitely on Delta. I also have a number of small trips coming up - up and down the East Cost (to Florida mostly) and maybe one to Texas. I might be able to just squeeze into Gold, but that is not a given.

I am getting a bit tired of Delta. I love the upgrades (I am a wide passenger and having the extra seat width makes me and my fellow passengers much, much more comfortable). But finding decent flights and decent service is getting harder and harder, and I notice fewer and fewer upgrades. I also will be hopefully making a few international trips next year, and really want to find an airline with a true economy plus section in it. Since a vast majority of my flying is for my own personal enjoyment, I have to pay for all of it myself, so I end up flying on the cheapo discount fares.

I have already been thinking about continental, and now that they have Double Qualification Miles, it makes it even more tempting. If I jump ship to Continental, using the DEQM I should be able to achieve silver with CO. That then puts me at an advatage for next year, when I might be able to earn gold, particularly if I can find flights on some of the Star Alliance partners. On the other hand, if I could squeeze out Gold with Delta, then I am one level up in the upgrade chain.

So I have to decide, should I stick it out with Delta and get Gold with them, or split to Continental and get Silver on two airlines?
Old Sep 11, 09, 9:50 pm

Upgrades on CO? good luck.

Good friend is a Platinum and is lucky to get EWR-MCO upgrades.
Old Sep 11, 09, 9:55 pm

Programs: DL DM
With DEQM at CO/UA/AA, I hope that DL doesn't match the promotions and some do leave...thin the herd a bit so that those that FLY and truly earn Platinum/Diamond can reap some benefits of their status. Getting very tired of artificial elites.
Old Sep 11, 09, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Premier
Originally Posted by WBurcham View Post

+1. EWR-Florida has some reasonably priced F fares on CO, making upgrades pretty tough. EWR-Texas - Texas is chock full o' CO Plats (thanks to the IAH hub). Upgrades as a Plat can be difficult on these routes too.

I'd go for Gold on Delta this year, then if you really want, you can comp said DL Gold status to CO next year and become CO Gold instantly.
Old Sep 11, 09, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
From BOS/PVD, OP is going to have to fly through EWR for a lot of trips. BOS is a mix of connection and mainline and PVD is a mix of RJs and Q400s. As mentioned upgrades on CO are going to be hard to come by but I guess that isn't an issue if flying from PVD.
Old Sep 11, 09, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by mersk862 View Post
+1. EWR-Florida has some reasonably priced F fares on CO, making upgrades pretty tough. EWR-Texas - Texas is chock full o' CO Plats (thanks to the IAH hub). Upgrades as a Plat can be difficult on these routes too.

I'd go for Gold on Delta this year, then if you really want, you can comp said DL Gold status to CO next year and become CO Gold instantly.
He just buys F on EWR-west coast.
Old Sep 11, 09, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Have you thought about trying for a strategically-timed status match with CO (hopefully to Gold, but this is likely to depend on whether your mileage statements show expensive fares) while still flying on DL so as to retain DL Gold through next year? Then you can experiment and finally choose in 2010. Alternatively, can you do a challenge with CO during the remaining months of this year to try to get their Gold for next year? Do you want to consider taking one of the branded credit card offers to get more the qualifying miles?
Old Sep 11, 09, 10:28 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
I am gold with Delta through the end of the year. Right now I have 36K MQM miles. I fly out of Boston or Providence

I have one big trip to LA planned, this one is a treat and I am going First Class (paid). This is definitely on Delta. I also have a number of small trips coming up - up and down the East Cost (to Florida mostly) and maybe one to Texas. I might be able to just squeeze into Gold, but that is not a given.

I am getting a bit tired of Delta. I love the upgrades (I am a wide passenger and having the extra seat width makes me and my fellow passengers much, much more comfortable). But finding decent flights and decent service is getting harder and harder, and I notice fewer and fewer upgrades. I also will be hopefully making a few international trips next year, and really want to find an airline with a true economy plus section in it. Since a vast majority of my flying is for my own personal enjoyment, I have to pay for all of it myself, so I end up flying on the cheapo discount fares.

I have already been thinking about continental, and now that they have Double Qualification Miles, it makes it even more tempting. If I jump ship to Continental, using the DEQM I should be able to achieve silver with CO. That then puts me at an advatage for next year, when I might be able to earn gold, particularly if I can find flights on some of the Star Alliance partners. On the other hand, if I could squeeze out Gold with Delta, then I am one level up in the upgrade chain.

So I have to decide, should I stick it out with Delta and get Gold with them, or split to Continental and get Silver on two airlines?
I would say sticking with DL based on your travel patterns and your location BOS/PVD. Delta has more mainline flights out of both Airports with nice connections via JFK/ATL.

Another thing you might want to do is try to do is a MR if you are not sure you will get GOLD. My thinking is to stay with the airline that can provide you the best chance of upgrading.

P.S. you think you will ever see an upgrade on CO out of EWR to the places you stated you will be flying this year, as a low-tier elite member, you have another thing coming. Only way you will see F will be to pay for it.

Last edited by The_seat_Baron; Sep 11, 09 at 10:32 pm Reason: CO upgrade statement
Old Sep 11, 09, 10:33 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by AndyTLe View Post
From BOS/PVD, OP is going to have to fly through EWR for a lot of trips. BOS is a mix of connection and mainline and PVD is a mix of RJs and Q400s. As mentioned upgrades on CO are going to be hard to come by but I guess that isn't an issue if flying from PVD.
I think it would be for the OP has he stated he is big, width wise, and those RJ's and Q400's are murder!
Old Sep 11, 09, 11:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, etc.

He's not kidding - CO has several features that lower EUA success rates:
1. They fly a lot of RJs - and I don't think they have any RJs with FC sections like our CR900s or E175s.
2. They sell FC at a somewhat lower price on average so they end up selling more FC before the EUA windows.
3. Many of thier planes have smaller FC sections - I was on one in Aug with only 8 seats.

Overall CO does have a lot of things going for it but upgrade success isn't one of them. I think that's part of why they didn't rebel as much during the now ended 50% EQM era.
Old Sep 12, 09, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite

well here's 1 Gold that actually is batting about the same when it comes to EUA on DL versus CO...maybe I'm just lucky on CO or unlucky on DL but the one thing to be careful of on CO is the ERJ's...they are like DL in that they will run a 135/145 to it's limits but they have more ERJ seats as an overall % of their total than DL/NW...but the good thing (if there is one on the erjs') is they are changing the seats out..they've heard that they suck (omg and how) so they are putting more comfortable ones in there should he decide to change
Old Sep 12, 09, 10:03 am

Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL DM (sigh) MM(!), HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
I also will be hopefully making a few international trips next year, and really want to find an airline with a true economy plus section in it. Since a vast majority of my flying is for my own personal enjoyment, I have to pay for all of it myself, so I end up flying on the cheapo discount fares.
Note that CO doesn't really have a true economy plus for intl either, unless you're thinking of *A generally.

FWIW, I've been able to snag exit rows for pretty much all my DL intl flights, even before I had status. Given that you're on LUT fares, you should be booking far enough in advance to do that even with silver. Oh yeah, free wine and beer on DL intl
Old Sep 12, 09, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by The_seat_Baron View Post
I would say sticking with DL based on your travel patterns and your location BOS/PVD. Delta has more mainline flights out of both Airports with nice connections via JFK/ATL.
Delta offers mainline flights out of Providence?

What routes?
Old Sep 12, 09, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by LegalTender View Post
Delta offers mainline flights out of Providence?

What routes?
Mainline to DTW

RJs with F cabins to DTW, MSP, ATL
Old Sep 12, 09, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by mersk862 View Post

EWR to west coast also has relatively reasonable F fares and therefore the upgrades are very tough for non plats or non Y/B's. Why CO? It doesn't have E+, but partner UA does. If you just want a parter with E+ doesn't AF have it on flights across the pond. You could use them to Europe. You'd have to connect, but so would you on UA out of BOS or PVD.

CO from PVD has 1 (I think) mainline flight a day to EWR. I think it is early flight out/late flight into PVD. DL has zero mainline to ATL and maybe a few mainline to the former NW hubs. I am hopeful that with the combination of DL and NW, Dl will add larger aircraft out of PVD.

Search this Thread