Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Passenger arrested in Bbusiness class - Sep 10 - SAT to ATL - DL 1292

Old Sep 11, 09, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond // SPG & Marriott Plat

I was on the Delta 1292 from San Antonio to Atlanta on Th, Sep 10th. Once we landed, they announced for everyone to have a sit due to a medical attention on the plane. Once we pulled up to the gate, 2 cops walked in and came to the business class and went straight to a seat and asked the male passenger to stand up.

He did, and they put handcuffs on him. He had a what the hell look on his face, but did not say anything,. They took his luggage and laptop bag. He was of a middle eastern decent but just looked like any typical consultant who was traveling home on a TH afternoon.

Search AJC.com and news.google, but did not find anything about this.

I too was in the business class and did not notice anything out of the ordinary from this passenger through out the whole flight.

any thoughts?
Old Sep 11, 09, 1:27 pm

Location: Atlanta, GA - AirTran Elite #1 FF * Delta Diamond Medallion * Starwood Platinum * PriorityClub Gold * Hilton Diamond
He probably just came up on an arrest warrant (not saftey related, just something else) since they're using names and dates of birth on reservations now. With the enhancements of name use, I'm thinking we might be seeing police activity at the airport increase.
Old Sep 11, 09, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
Just because someone is of "middle eastern decent" does not make them a terrorist, nor does it make them immune from committing other "regular" felonies (i.e. robbing banks, cheating on taxes, etc). As the other poster said, DHS is probably taking that Secure Flight data and running warrant checks. Theory 2: The person is on the run from the law, was able to get a last minute flight out of San Antonio; the San Antonio police were not quick enough to nab him before getting on the plane, but called their counter-parts in Atlanta to pick him up on landing.
Old Sep 11, 09, 2:04 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
That could be very bad news for anybody with a common name.

If a David Smith has an arrest warrant out will they cuff every David Smith who flies?

The no-fly list is bad enough.
Old Sep 11, 09, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe View Post
That could be very bad news for anybody with a common name.

If a David Smith has an arrest warrant out will they cuff every David Smith who flies?

The no-fly list is bad enough.
That is why they ask for date of birth. So it will cut down on false positives.
Old Sep 11, 09, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hopefully be DL nothing in 1 more year / Hertz Something / Hilton Honors Diamond
That makes no sense, why would even let him fly in the first place then? Why not just arrest him at the departing airport? I don't know if DL actually checks arrest warrants for people flying?
Old Sep 11, 09, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by amps View Post
That makes no sense, why would even let him fly in the first place then? Why not just arrest him at the departing airport? I don't know if DL actually checks arrest warrants for people flying?
maybe they're really getting smart and wait till he's in a state with easier extradition
Old Sep 11, 09, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Janus View Post
That is why they ask for date of birth. So it will cut down on false positives.
Correct. I know that, if I were a law-abiding terrorist with respect for authority, I would certainly give my correct birthdate when making a reservation.
Old Sep 11, 09, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
I'd guess that theory #2 (or some variation thereof) in milepost #3 is the winner:
Theory 2: The person is on the run from the law, was able to get a last minute flight out of San Antonio; the San Antonio police were not quick enough to nab him before getting on the plane, but called their counter-parts in Atlanta to pick him up on landing.
Old Sep 11, 09, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter View Post
Correct. I know that, if I were a law-abiding terrorist with respect for authority, I would certainly give my correct birthdate when making a reservation.
Agreed, until the TSA finds a secure way to get the passenger name and DOB to the TSO doing ID checks, secure flight is pointless. Printing that information on a boarding pass is also pointless, since between OLCI and the dozens of different airline boarding pass printers, it is extremely easy to create a fake boarding pass. For example:
1. Create reservation under a different name
2. OLCI for that reservation, but using any of the countless tools out there, change the BP to have your real name.
3. Proceed to airport and present your real ID and forged BP to TSO.
4. Board plane.
Old Sep 11, 09, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

Originally Posted by fb3003 View Post
I was on the Delta 1292 from San Antonio to Atlanta on Th, Sep 10th. Once we landed, they announced for everyone to have a sit due to a medical attention on the plane. Once we pulled up to the gate, 2 cops walked in and came to the business class and went straight to a seat and asked the male passenger to stand up.

He did, and they put handcuffs on him. He had a what the hell look on his face, but did not say anything,. They took his luggage and laptop bag. He was of a middle eastern decent but just looked like any typical consultant who was traveling home on a TH afternoon.

Search AJC.com and news.google, but did not find anything about this.

I too was in the business class and did not notice anything out of the ordinary from this passenger through out the whole flight.

any thoughts?
How do you know, with 100% accuracy, that he was of middle eastern decent?
Old Sep 11, 09, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton, Marriot, and Melia Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Not to be politically correct, which I absolutely loathe, but you can't tell the guy is of Middle-Eastern descent, unless you happen to know his parents.
Saying he had a Middle-Eastern look is definitely acceptable.

Had it been somebody wanted for a violent crime, do you think they would have advised the crew by radio ?
Old Sep 11, 09, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM
Maybe he took a free self-upgrade to the front.
Old Sep 11, 09, 3:28 pm

Probably took two bags of peanuts instead of just one.
Old Sep 11, 09, 3:56 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite View Post
How do you know, with 100% accuracy, that he was of middle eastern decent?
Originally Posted by skchin View Post
Maybe he took a free self-upgrade to the front.
Sounds pretty easy to me

Search this Thread