Becoming Plat Mid-Itinerary... Int'l Lounge Access?

Old Sep 11, 09, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL DM (sigh) MM(!), HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Becoming Plat Mid-Itinerary... Int'l Lounge Access?

Next month, I'm flying JFK-NRT, which will push me over 75k MQM. Three weeks will pass before my return, during which time the weekly batch will run to make my plat. Obviously, I won't have received my new card yet, and my itinerary will still indicate gold.

For my return in November, how is access for ST E+ handled for international lounges, specifically at NRT? Will the desk be able to see from my profile that I'm E+, or do they expect the card/itinerary to show it? I suppose I'm asking primarily about the (ex-)NW lounges...

Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 09, 7:50 am

Programs: LH SEN, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Hilton Gold
I just had the same issue when heading to Sydney and back last week. I was plat after the LAX-SYD flight. I was able to update all my upcoming itineraries with plat status on delta.com, but had to e-mail DL to update the status on the existing itinerary. To my surprise it was done within hours.
It really helped out a lot. I got lounge access in Sydney and got the upgrade on the LAX-ATL leg (on a T-fare, Monday morning).
So as soon as you see your Plat status at delta.com, send them an e-mail.
Old Sep 11, 09, 12:10 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion
I had a similar experience. I became Platinum when I reached BOM (Mumbai/Bombay) on a JFK-ATL-BOM itinerary. On the Delta website my status changed to Platinum. For some reason I thought on my return flight, the Delta counter at BOM would have my updated status to Paltinum but it did not - instead I was still listed as gold. I did not get the priority luggage tag and I was too tired to argue. But I did get a ATL-JFK upgrade with the gold status. Gold is still worth something
Old Sep 11, 09, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by Kumaranyc View Post
I had a similar experience. I became Platinum when I reached BOM (Mumbai/Bombay) on a JFK-ATL-BOM itinerary. On the Delta website my status changed to Platinum. For some reason I thought on my return flight, the Delta counter at BOM would have my updated status to Paltinum but it did not - instead I was still listed as gold. I did not get the priority luggage tag and I was too tired to argue. But I did get a ATL-JFK upgrade with the gold status. Gold is still worth something
For any and all trips booked while holding a lower/no status, a phone call or e-mail (as acjflyer did) to DL is required for SM numbers to be removed from the itinerary and re-entered. This will update the itinerary with the correct level of status.

OP, since you'll be in the middle of the itinerary, your BP may or may not be updated (as you cannot remove a SM# after a trip has begun). But your SM status should be updated online. I would suggest carrying a printout of your SM account page reflecting your current status.
Old Sep 11, 09, 1:11 pm

Programs: LH SEN, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Actually, if you get the status on the itinerary updated through the phone call or by e-mail, the boarding pass will show "Platinum/ElitePlus" - it did for me last week.
Old Sep 11, 09, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL MM DM, AA Plat, BA Bronze, 9W Blue+, HH Gold, SPG Gold
This happened to me last year on a return trip to LGW. The call to SMS didn't fix the status mid-itinerary. On the return, the check-in agent couldn't see the E+ status but I walked over to the ticketing desk who could see the Plat/E+ status and was able to give me a lounge invite even though the BP still sadi "Gold/Elite". Moral of the story, ask around at the airport all else failing. Good luck to the OP!
Old Nov 7, 09, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL DM (sigh) MM(!), HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
SMS couldn't do anything, email never got a reply. Printout of current skymiles statement got me priority tags at check in, and the agent at the skyclub looked up my status to confirm E+.

Thanks for all the replies!

Search this Thread