Do SPG Booked Flights Earn Delta Miles?

Old Sep 10, 09, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Do SPG Booked Flights Earn Delta Miles?

I am looking to use SPG miles to book a reservation on Delta. This is not transfering miles to Delta .. this is the new option where you can book flights from spg.com. The option I am looking at is booked in A (outbound) and K (return) for 50,000 SPG points. I believe I will earn DL miles (I'm thinking Delta computers are looking at booking codes to determine if miles are earned).

Any first-hand experience?

Thank you
Old Sep 10, 09, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
I think like AmEx Membership Rewards redemption tickets, you do earn miles. A & K are mile-earning fare classes. A being discounted First Class and K being discounted K coach.

http://www.cwsi.net/delta.htm
Old Sep 10, 09, 8:13 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by happydad100 View Post
I am looking to use SPG miles to book a reservation on Delta. This is not transfering miles to Delta .. this is the new option where you can book flights from spg.com. The option I am looking at is booked in A (outbound) and K (return) for 50,000 SPG points. I believe I will earn DL miles (I'm thinking Delta computers are looking at booking codes to determine if miles are earned).

Any first-hand experience?

Thank you
Be sure to check to see if DL/NW has availability before you book thru SPG. Based on the times/dates you can get domestic first class both ways for 45,000 DL/NW miles (40,000 SPG points). I'd easily forego accruing miles to save 10,000 SPG points.
Old Sep 10, 09, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG PLT
You do earn miles. Much the same as Thank You points ... they both get booked into mile-earning fare classes; one reason I value both of them a little bit more than an otherwise equivalent point.

That said, as the cwsi link says make sure you've got a seat in your A-fare booking.

Search this Thread