FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Use of PMU on same day International (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/993864-use-pmu-same-day-international.html)

DL Platinum Sep 10, 2009 7:56 pm

Use of PMU on same day International

Ok fellow Flyertalkers, I am getting conflicting information from DL and from these forums. I am looking for someone with any recent activity that can provide me with the answer.

Historically, if the PMU did not clear at booking, you would be waitlisted. If it didn't clear 24 hours prior to departure, it wouldn't. No, at airport, international upgrades. DL was always pretty strong about this

The "new" program has removed that requirement for 2010. The question is:

Is DL doing same day upgrades with PMUs now? Does this feature wait to go into effect until 3/1/2010 with the rest of the "features"?

I ask, because two separate DL phone agents have told me exactly opposite answers. First says, yes, second says no. Which is it? Can a Platinum use a PMU (on a YBM fare) on international travel at the gate, or day of travel?

Second, and more curious, this "benefit" creates an unusual situtation. Say you book your "M" fare 60 days outs, waitlist for "Z" to use the PMU. Nothings clears. It is day of travel, a different PM on an "B" walks up and asks to use a PMU. Who gets it? The waitlisted, or the higher fare who never waitlisted? Would a Diamond on the same fare basis as a PM trump for the upgrade? It would seem so, but since this is new, it may open pandora's box.

Thoughts?

3Cforme Sep 10, 2009 8:20 pm

Same-day use for upgrades appears to be a benefit of the 'new Systemwide Upgrade Certificate,' not a policy change applied to current SWUs. Perhaps an agent could force it - YMMV.

El Boocho Sep 10, 2009 8:31 pm

I was under the impression that you could always use them, sameday or not, if the there was Z available.

WBurcham Sep 10, 2009 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by El Boocho (Post 12363113)
I was under the impression that you could always use them, sameday or not, if the there was Z available.

That was my6 impression as well. BUT not at the gate.

zman Sep 10, 2009 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by El Boocho (Post 12363113)

Nope
DL policy was if your PMU or mileage upgrade on international upgrade to Business did not clear by 24 hours before the flight your were SOL. The flight could leave with 10 empty business seats and DL could care less if you were Platnium and wanted to upgrade with miles or PMU.s. or were on an upgrade list.
They would rather have their best customers sit in a middle coach seat then have them upgrade. It is called southern hospitality, DL style.
Most other airlines would go out of their way to upgrade their best customers if seats were avaialable and they were on the list.

This is suppose to change, but do not know when.

DL Platinum Sep 10, 2009 8:53 pm

On the actual 2009 PMU regarding international: "Upgrade processing cannot be handled at the boarding gate" and " Standby upgrades at the airport are not permitted". There have been many threads about the 24 hour rule with the international flights.

For 2010: " In addition to the existing ability for customers to request an upgrade in advance, the new Systemwide Upgrade Certificates will be valid for use on the day of departure. This means if a First or Business Class seat is available on your Delta flight on the day of departure you will be able to request the upgrade. "

As I have been on waitlists for international flights and have had them not clear, yet several seats in BE went empty, I am trying to understand if the new program is going to be any different that the past. It "SOUNDS" like it will be the case, but I am most curious if it is in place today as I was told by a DL CS rep (and told the opposite by another).

I've flown a lot of United and Air Canada where there is rarely an open seat upfront becuase they upgrade their loyal flyers (using miles or certificates). I am trying to determine if DL will start filling the BE cabins with paying (albeit upgraded) passengers instead of non-revs.

This change, if real, will make the SWU (old pmu) actually worth something if this is indeed the case.

El Boocho Sep 10, 2009 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by zman (Post 12363137)
Nope
DL policy was if your PMU or mileage upgrade on international upgrade to Business did not clear by 24 hours before the flight your were SOL. The flight could leave with 10 empty business seats and DL could care less if you were Platnium and wanted to upgrade with miles or PMU.s. or were on an upgrade list.

I think you are wrong. They didn't clear manually at the gate (or at the gate at all), but if there was Z available inside 24hrs and I guess outside of gate control, you could claim it.

El Boocho Sep 10, 2009 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by DL Platinum (Post 12363197)
On the actual 2009 PMU regarding international: "Upgrade processing cannot be handled at the boarding gate" and " Standby upgrades at the airport are not permitted". There have been many threads about the 24 hour rule with the international flights.

For 2010: " In addition to the existing ability for customers to request an upgrade in advance, the new Systemwide Upgrade Certificates will be valid for use on the day of departure. This means if a First or Business Class seat is available on your Delta flight on the day of departure you will be able to request the upgrade. "

As I have been on waitlists for international flights and have had them not clear, yet several seats in BE went empty, I am trying to understand if the new program is going to be any different that the past. It "SOUNDS" like it will be the case, but I am most curious if it is in place today as I was told by a DL CS rep (and told the opposite by another).

I've flown a lot of United and Air Canada where there is rarely an open seat upfront becuase they upgrade their loyal flyers (using miles or certificates). I am trying to determine if DL will start filling the BE cabins with paying (albeit upgraded) passengers instead of non-revs.

This change, if real, will make the SWU (old pmu) actually worth something if this is indeed the case.

My understanding it that they will be upgradable at the gate and you will clear before NRSAs.

It was also my understanding that UA C was always full because it was "employee class." I'm not judging whether this is right or wrong or who is entitled to what, just repeating what I have heard about UA C.

FlytheTail Aug 20, 2010 6:38 pm

PMU upgrade at airport successful

Purchased an M fare weeks ago and Z availability never opened. Arrived at TPE airport 1 1/2 hours before departure and asked to be placed on the airport standby upgrade list. After a few minutes and consultation with another agent, they (apparently) confirmed me into business and gave me my board cards, both from TPE to NRT and onwards to DTW (same flight number). There were between 0 and 5 J seats available for purchase in the past week. I'm happy that things worked as they should have.

My only concern is my reservation shows the upgrade status as "Standby Listed" (it previously said "Waitlisted") with my old seat numbers. Sure hope my boarding passes trump what is listed online.

MSPeconomist Aug 20, 2010 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by FlytheTail (Post 14518604)
Purchased an M fare weeks ago and Z availability never opened. Arrived at TPE airport 1 1/2 hours before departure and asked to be placed on the airport standby upgrade list. After a few minutes and consultation with another agent, they (apparently) confirmed me into business and gave me my board cards, both from TPE to NRT and onwards to DTW (same flight number). There were between 0 and 5 J seats available for purchase in the past week. I'm happy that things worked as they should have.

My only concern is my reservation shows the upgrade status as "Standby Listed" (it previously said "Waitlisted") with my old seat numbers. Sure hope my boarding passes trump what is listed online.

I would assume that the boarding pass is what counts, but you might need to prepare to be assertive about it if needed. Does the computer show that your SWUs were used and closed or miles were deducted? If so, it's been processed correctly in all probability.

Nevertheless, I would try to be the first to board your flights in BE. YMMV but IME the first occupant of a seat wins when there are duplicate boarding passes.