Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's best in class...and what's not

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2009, 1:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
What's best in class...and what's not

The official program-related postings of the last two days can't be coincidence. But just in case, it's worth highlighting because the style, reaction and content of these contrasting postings encapsulates key ideological differences so well.

Exhibit One. This is... "best in class"

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-update-q.html

Exhibit Two. This is _best in class_.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...m-changes.html

Note that Elite members trust the official line being presented over on CO, despite a couple of minor value erosions. And to be fair, there are new and genuine benefits too - no fee for SDC for OP PE, no co-pay for BF mileage ug on B fares, for example. Great!

This is far from the case with SM.

Many aspects are wanting. But to keep focus on what's the worst in class, the DL.COM award tool is really a huge issue. It shows how an unreliable and low-performing interface angers members and erodes program value.

But what's even worse than its abysmal performance is the deliberative lack of meaningful response to the complaints, which in a. the absence of other reliable information, and b. the clear signals given by the prompt fixing of other IT issues that affect program value (e.g. NW U/G processing on DL-purchased tix), indicate that management elect not to fix it.

Supported by the new outrage, of restricting the number of searches SMS can perform at customer request to actually accomplish redemptions that are not made possible online, it's very clear that management wishes to impose barriers to redemption, and to increase mean number of SM redeemed per itin well beyond the published levels, for zones that are actually published.

This problem will outlast the departure of the former NW elites and grate even on the most loyal DL flyers because they are not foolish or uninformed about program matters. They can see from themselves that it's truly worst in class.

In doing so, in perpetuating the worst in class performance of DL.COM, DL undermines by its own corporate actions its claims to offer a "best in class" program. There is a suspicion that out of touch MBAs promoted by an inward-looking corporate culture are delivering PRspeak that is increasingly divergent from what is being delivered to customers.... this value gap clearly leads to lost business.

DL could make a start towards being, at least, not worst in class, by fixing the award booking tool and by empowering SMS agents to help customers, not by restricting them from doing so! This is really astounding!

Are there DL flyers who will speak up in favor of this latest machination to reduce program value? And, let's see what the next act from SM management might be...will it be a genuine effort to improve program, to lift restrictions, to deliver value? Or will it be to implement another policy, like the SMS search policy, that actively reduces program value? Those choices send clear signals to everyone.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 1:22 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Though I do feel DL has made some major missteps this past year in slashing benefits for elites, I really don't think we need yet another DL-bashing thread. And it doesn't matter that it might be a result of postings by both the DL and CO "FT" liaisons.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by fti
Though I do feel DL has made some major missteps this past year in slashing benefits for elites, I really don't think we need yet another DL-bashing thread.
+1 on both accounts.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 2:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
But, why not? After all, in many communications that I receive from DL, I am told that the program is "best in class." There doesn't seem to be a limit on the number of times that this claim is presented to me.

This claim is featured right now on the front page of DL.COM, for example. In light of its widespread use and my frequent encountering of the phrase in DL's recent literature, and in the text of the emails from NW while transition occurs, I see that it is reasonable to frequently rebut such a strong claim.

I agree that I wouldn't feel quite so outraged if this propaganda didn't continually bombard me, particularly when it is patently untrue. But to the degree that DL communications remind me that SM is "best in class" I will respond by pointing out that it is no such thing.

Even if they don't agree with the issues I've raised, I am sure other SM members agree that it is presumptuous at best to so boldly and so invoke a claim like "best in class." If this is done, let's see the third-party or non-aligned data that supports the claim (someone mentioned JDP, for example).
Old Sep 10, 2009, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott. Hilton Diamond, Hertz something...
Originally Posted by fti
Though I do feel DL has made some major missteps this past year in slashing benefits for elites, I really don't think we need yet another DL-bashing thread. And it doesn't matter that it might be a result of postings by both the DL and CO "FT" liaisons.
+1 THANK YOU for saying that, these threads are getting really really annoying.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott Platinum,Avis First
Originally Posted by WBurcham
+1 on both accounts.
+1 more - I joined Flyertalk for information not constant bashing of Delta (or any other airline for that matter). It seems everytime I login there is another thread bashing Delta. Has Delta made some "interesting" choices about Best in Class, yes, but I don't need that rehashed every day.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Red face

What is best in class... Unlimited Complimentary Medallion Upgrades

If you check the upgrade percentages of other airlines, DL & NW Elites have higher success upgrades. CO is quite stingy and UA/AA upgrades aren't complimentary.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott. Hilton Diamond, Hertz something...
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
What is best in class... Unlimited Complimentary Medallion Upgrades

If you check the upgrade percentages of other airlines, DL & NW Elites have higher success upgrades. CO is quite stingy and UA/AA upgrades aren't complimentary.
Agreed.

31 of 32 on upgrades this year!
Old Sep 10, 2009, 2:55 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by fti
I agree.
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.