Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trekking Poles as Carry On?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Trekking Poles as Carry On?

Does anyone know if Delta will allow trekking poles to be carried on a flight?
Old Sep 10, 2009, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rageorge
Unfortunately, the TSA won't allow them through security.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 8:37 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by rageorge
I am going to go out on a limb and say that most likely the FAA would consider "trekking poles" to be equivalent to ski poles. According to tsa.gov ski poles are not allowed as carry-on.

Here: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...d-items.shtm#5

If you can pass them off as canes (better limp a little) then these would be allowed.

Here: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...eds/index.shtm
Old Sep 10, 2009, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
It isn't not specifically listed, but there is a similarity to ski poles which isn't allowed onboard.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm
Old Sep 10, 2009, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Evan!
If you can pass them off as canes (better limp a little) then these would be allowed.
The trekking poles I have used all had sharp metal spikes. No way would any alert party (not a specific shot at TSA) would want these on-board.

If the OP wants trekking poles at his destination he should plan on checking a bag, acquiring poles locally, or shipping them ahead.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:09 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The trekking poles I have used all had sharp metal spikes. No way would any alert party (not a specific shot at TSA) would want these on-board.

If the OP wants trekking poles at his destination he should plan on checking a bag, acquiring poles locally, or shipping them ahead.
I should have used a smiley. I was not serious about passing them off as canes.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I just got back last night from a trip to Switzerland with trekking poles. On the flight from JFK to ZRH, I barely got a glance and brought them through in my backpack without any issues. On the return, however, I was told that Swiss police will confiscate them and was forced to check them.

My suggestion would be to arrive at the airport a little early and see if you can make it through, as policy is clearly inconsistent (a search of previous threads will make this even more clear). If you arrive early and aren't permitted through, then you can always go back and check them and they'll still make the flight.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good advice. This is pretty much what I thought but wasn't able to find a definitive answer on the TSA or Delta websites. I'm going to see what it costs to mail them ahead and see if it's cheaper than checking them.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:50 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Can use a monopole, but still iffy as carry-on

Wife often tries to carry-on an Italian-made collaspable photographic monopole, which she uses for its intended purpose (holding a camera) as well as a regular hiking stick. It has a blunt rubber-tip end like a cane, but it is still not carry-on safe because when collapsed it looks and feels like a police billy-club. The Romanian TSA people at the Bucharest airport made us check it. USA TSA has not done so yet, but wouldn't you expect the Romanians to be smarter than us Americans?
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:53 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, MR Platinum, DL Platinum
If you can't duct it....

I hiked from Georgia to Maine on the Appalachian Trail in 2005. Around July
4th, I took a few days off to fly home for a wedding and was able to carry my backpack on the plane with my trekking poles collapsed and attached/strapped to the outside of the pack. Yes, the tips did cause some concern when I checked in but I was given a roll of duct tape and covered the entire bottom 6 inches of the pole with it, making sure to put extra tape around the tips. Going through security was no problem. Not sure if this helps but good luck!
Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:40 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Priority Club Gold, Hilton & Marriott Silver
Exclamation what about a Trek Pod

uh OH! I may be in trouble trying to carry on my TrekPod GO hiking staff/tripod!

We're flying JFK - BUD then PRG - JFK. Any advice on that itinerary? (We're in Biz class if that makes a difference.)
Old Sep 10, 2009, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LA, WN, SPG Plat, MR Gold
When my sister came out here to hike the High Sierra Camps in the Yosemite this August, she was able to carry on her poles from DFW. Ex SFO, she had to check. Needless to say I now have three pairs of poles here (mine, hers, and Dad's).
Old Sep 10, 2009, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by DukieDrew
When my sister came out here to hike the High Sierra Camps in the Yosemite this August, she was able to carry on her poles from DFW. Ex SFO, she had to check. Needless to say I now have three pairs of poles here (mine, hers, and Dad's).
I didn't realize you had 6 hands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.