Platinum Intl Upgrades?

Old Sep 9, 2009, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, United Premiere Gold, Air France
Platinum Intl Upgrades?

A coworker (plat) told me that he gets upgraded to business on TPAC frequently, and is not using miles or SWUs to do it. I don't see this as a listed benefit with Delta. Does this happen often to others?
Old Sep 9, 2009, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.3MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by whit5721
A coworker (plat) told me that he gets upgraded to business on TPAC frequently, and is not using miles or SWUs to do it. I don't see this as a listed benefit with Delta. Does this happen often to others?
This topic comes up twice a week. No, not often. Only occurs if flight is overbooked. It is not listed as a benefit, because it is not one (that is guaranteed in any shape or form, at least)

Last edited by DLATL777; Sep 9, 2009 at 7:05 pm
Old Sep 9, 2009, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, United Premiere Gold, Air France
good to know. i have little luck with the search function on this site, otherwise i wouldn't have asked.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
As was mentioned, as a Medallion you can be upgraded if coach is oversold. It has happened to me many times (TATL) even when I was a Silver.

DL has Platinum Medallion Upgrade certs (PMUs) which one gets annually at a current rate of 6. These are restrictive for international travel. One must purchase a Y, B, or M fare to use the upgrade certs and this is cost prohibitive for many (maybe most). I use mine for domestic upgrades because they work for K fares and higher.

This subject has to be in the top 3 gripes with Delta's PM perks if not the number 1 frustration.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 1:07 am

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
It was a benefit on NW, but got canceled about a month ago to align WorldPerks with SkyMiles. (search FT for "phantom upgrades"). Basically, NW would upgrade up to 5 plats per flight.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I've gotten free upgrades on NW transpacific flights probably 8 times in the last few years. I don't know that any were because of oversell. Family members also got upgraded a couple of times last year.

It was a nice perk from NW. It shall be missed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.