Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost luggage

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2009, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Lost luggage

I am not sure which forum to post this, so Mod, please move if neccessary.

Yesterday I took SQ12 from SIN to LAX connecting with DL708 LAX-JFK. After clearing customs, I dropped off my already tagged luggage at the interlining luggage service just outside of customs. It was not a specifially DL drop off bag counter, but I assumed a general interlining service for all intl international airlines connecting to domestic flight. There was about a 2 hr transit time.

Well, my luggage did not turn up at JFK. DL agent read a note that they never received it. I called SQ and it is tracing the lugage now.

I am already preparing for the worst. IF my luggage is indeed lost, who is responsible for reimbursement? SQ? DL?

I am frustated.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 9:46 am

Per IATA rules, it's the terminating carrier, so in this case it'd be Delta.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PE
Just a bit off topic, I purchased two separate tickets, two separate itineraries for a trip in December. First leg is JFK-LHR on DL in business, and the second leg is LHR-ZRH on LX (Swiss) in coach. The connection time is 1.5 hours. I have confirmed with both DL and LX that I can interline the bag when I check in for the first leg at JFK. My question is that if my bags do not show up in ZRH due to a tight connection, or the bags not making it onto the DL flight, who is responsible? I don't want my bags to spend the vacation in Heathrow because each carrier blames the other.

I wouldn't worry too much except my connection time was cut but half an hour due to schedule changes after the ticket purchase.

Thanks for the input.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by skoker
Per IATA rules, it's the terminating carrier, so in this case it'd be Delta.
Agree. Since DL is the terminating carrier, your claim would be with DL.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by flyinglots
Just a bit off topic, I purchased two separate tickets, two separate itineraries for a trip in December. First leg is JFK-LHR on DL in business, and the second leg is LHR-ZRH on LX (Swiss) in coach. The connection time is 1.5 hours. I have confirmed with both DL and LX that I can interline the bag when I check in for the first leg at JFK. My question is that if my bags do not show up in ZRH due to a tight connection, or the bags not making it onto the DL flight, who is responsible? I don't want my bags to spend the vacation in Heathrow because each carrier blames the other.

I wouldn't worry too much except my connection time was cut but half an hour due to schedule changes after the ticket purchase.

Thanks for the input.
Well if they don't make it on the DL flight that is DL's problem. If they don't make it on the tight connection I would think it is LX's problem, but they may not take blame for it.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PE
That's what I'm afraid of. I don't want the bags falling into limbo and end up being stuck in Heathrow for 10 days.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
I am not sure which forum to post this, so Mod, please move if neccessary.

Yesterday I took SQ12 from SIN to LAX connecting with DL708 LAX-JFK. After clearing customs, I dropped off my already tagged luggage at the interlining luggage service just outside of customs. It was not a specifially DL drop off bag counter, but I assumed a general interlining service for all intl international airlines connecting to domestic flight. There was about a 2 hr transit time.

Well, my luggage did not turn up at JFK. DL agent read a note that they never received it. I called SQ and it is tracing the lugage now.

I am already preparing for the worst. IF my luggage is indeed lost, who is responsible for reimbursement? SQ? DL?

I am frustated.
Yet another DL JFK horror story. As soon as I saw the title of this thread I just assumed it had something to do with JFK.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by tonypct
Yet another DL JFK horror story. As soon as I saw the title of this thread I just assumed it had something to do with JFK.
Did the OP place their luggage in the right place? I never walk away until I actually hand it to someone, sounds like the OP just set it down and walked. I'm not familiar with the area of how the carriers work though.

G'Luck getting your stuff back.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

I personally handed the luggage to the guy working there. Up until now, no news yet :-(

Originally Posted by GoingAway
Did the OP place their luggage in the right place? I never walk away until I actually hand it to someone, sounds like the OP just set it down and walked. I'm not familiar with the area of how the carriers work though.

G'Luck getting your stuff back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.