Promotion to Next Tier based upon bookings

Old Sep 8, 09, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Executive
Promotion to Next Tier based upon bookings

I was wondering if Delta would promote me from GM to PM based upon bookings that I have made. I'm at 61k right now and have 25k in bookings for the rest of the year made. I have several other flights that I was hoping to book and having PM would help me secure the upgrades at the time of booking.

Thanks
Old Sep 8, 09, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by hokiekev View Post
I was wondering if Delta would promote me from GM to PM based upon bookings that I have made. I'm at 61k right now and have 25k in bookings for the rest of the year made. I have several other flights that I was hoping to book and having PM would help me secure the upgrades at the time of booking.

Thanks
Do you have status on another airline?

Are your bookings refundable fares?

If you answered no to either or both of these I would not expect DL to grant you a higher status now rather than waiting until you get it after your flights for the rest of the year.
Old Sep 8, 09, 3:46 pm

I have not heard of DL doing this. The airline has fall pretty far, but thankfully not that far. When you earn PM (through flying or spending) you will get the benefits.
Old Sep 8, 09, 4:27 pm

Not going to happen... there's nothing to stop you from canceling the upcoming trips. Sorry.
Old Sep 8, 09, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Nice to see a consensus here on DL, of...

buckle up and take it!

Old Sep 8, 09, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by redtailshark View Post

buckle up and take it!

So what would NW have done?
Old Sep 8, 09, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by WBurcham View Post
So what would NW have done?
I've not heard of any airline giving status solely based on one's pending flights. If an airline saw a bunch of full-fare refundable Y itins I could see how they might see the potential for lost revenue and grant status. But otherwise I can't see it on NW past or not.
Old Sep 8, 09, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL FO 1.4MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
I've not heard of any airline giving status solely based on one's pending flights. If an airline saw a bunch of full-fare refundable Y itins I could see how they might see the potential for lost revenue and grant status. But otherwise I can't see it on NW past or not.
Except if they are refundable, then the tickets can be canceled without any penalty whatsoever.

David
Old Sep 8, 09, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
I have several other flights that I was hoping to book and having PM would help me secure the upgrades at the time of booking.
You can only upgrade at time of booking when purchasing a Y fare. And any elite can do that. PM would give you no advantage over GM.
Old Sep 8, 09, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by DiverDave View Post
Except if they are refundable, then the tickets can be canceled without any penalty whatsoever.

David
That's my point. DL might want to respond positively if the pax has the option to cancel a bunch of itins without penalty.

Refundable tickets:
Rep: (to him/herself) "Hmmm, all of Hokie's upcoming reservations are fully refundable. Perhaps (s)he will cancel them if I say 'no, we won't grant you complimentary status.'"

Non-refundable:
Rep: (to him/herself) "Cancel and we'll charge you fees and you will end up flying us anyway with the unused tickets."
Old Sep 8, 09, 8:52 pm

NW would not offer this either...You have to fly to earn the status....(or at least you did before all the EQM promos)...There is no gray area....The only exceptions I have seen are the VVC's....Not even sure if that still exists!
Old Sep 8, 09, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott Platinum,Avis First
Originally Posted by redtailshark View Post

buckle up and take it!

Do we have to take every opportunity to bash Delta? I know there are a lot of hard feelings and I admit I am a Delta apologist many times - but no airline grants status based on pending flights. If they did think about all the complaints we would see on Flyertalk about the "devaluation" of our elite benefits by people who haven't even flown.

Just a thought.
Old Sep 9, 09, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Executive
The flights are non-refundable so that is not an issue. I thought the answer would be no but it was worth a shot.

Flying out of a hub city (SLC) it can be very difficult to get an upgrade if you are not a PM. That was my motivation.
Old Sep 9, 09, 9:31 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat

Thanks
Why should you be able to benefit from higher priority when you have not earned it? By that measure, the rules would not exist but would be made up on a case by case basis, which would then make upgrade priority a joke, don't you think?
Old Sep 9, 09, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by dh01 View Post
Why should you be able to benefit from higher priority when you have not earned it? By that measure, the rules would not exist but would be made up on a case by case basis, which would then make upgrade priority a joke, don't you think?
Airlines grant status on a case-by-case basis often. A corp decision maker that enters into a contract with an airline will often be granted complimentary status on said airline. The idea of being granted status based on how many itins one already has booked with an airline is not "out there". The OP, IMO, had a valid question and I think he should try. What's the worst that could happen? "No." I just wanted to keep him from getting his hopes up. Rules are made to be broken and often are. A few years back I flew FLL>EWR R/T three weeks in a row and had 3 more booked for the upcoming month. CO offered me Silver status out of the blue even though I was nowhere near to reaching Silver status even after flying the remaining 3 more itins. I didn't even ask. They locked in my biz for the next year as I had many trips to the NYC & NJ areas. My company had no special relationship with CO. They were proactive.

Search this Thread