DL FF Tickets to Tahiti in June -July 2010?

Old Sep 8, 09, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

DL FF Tickets to Tahiti in June -July 2010?

My husband has accumulated a huge number of Delta Skymiles and we would like to use them to go to Tahiti in 2010 -- late June to late July. We have been completely unable to find any tickets available. Are we trying too early or too late? Is this even possible? DH did call the FF number and they basically had no information about when or if these flights might be available. Any hints on pulling off this trip?
Old Sep 8, 09, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.1MM, EK Gold, SQ Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Your going to be routing on Air France LAX-PPT-LAX. Seats are only released 330 days prior to travel.

Someone on here is going to mention a "partnership" between Northwest and ATN (Air Tahiti Nui). There is almost no coach award inventory released to NW, and literally none in F or J, so plan on using Air France regardless.
Old Sep 8, 09, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
In previous years, Air France has blacked out FF awards during peak travel periods (seems like it used to run June 15th-August 15th). I would not be surprised if this practice is still in place.

MO
Old Sep 8, 09, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Wow, what a coincidence; today I woke up with the travel bug and decided to plan my vacation for 2010 after discovering a friend's pictures of Bora Bora. I spent at least two hours on delta.com/nwa.com trying to find award inventory for anytime next year with absolutely no luck. I discovered that AF operates the 777 LAX-PPT on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and PPT-LAX Friday, Saturday, and Sundays. I was also able to complete a revenue booking for random dates, so it looks like AF hasn't released any award inventory at this point.

If I can find dates that work, I will book this in a heartbeat. Tahiti looks stunning!
Old Sep 8, 09, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
I am currently looking at delta.com's reward travel page and there is reward availiability, in business class, for travel for the month of September, 2009. It looks like this is one of those destinations where you might have to be patient and wait until the last minute to book. Mileage cost is high, 125,000 per ticket.

The outbound is on Airfrance while the return is actually on Air Tahiti Nui.

So, there you go, you can redeem your Delta skymiles for travel on Air Tahiti nui
Old Sep 8, 09, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by nypdLieu View Post
I am currently looking at delta.com's reward travel page and there is reward availiability, in business class, for travel for the month of September, 2009. It looks like this is one of those destinations where you might have to be patient and wait until the last minute to book. Mileage cost is high, 125,000 per ticket.

The outbound is on Airfrance while the return is actually on Air Tahiti Nui.

So, there you go, you can redeem your Delta skymiles for travel on Air Tahiti nui
I believe a coach ticket from Kansas City to Tahiti via LAX using air tahiti was $2,000-$2,500
Old Feb 2, 10, 6:56 pm

Thought I'd bump this thread, as I'm actually serious about booking this now. I found that Air France has award availability (expertflyer indicates 4 seats in "O" on the outbound, 2 on the return I want), and called Delta to check how many miles would be required. The agent said she doesn't see the availability I see, and said getting to PPT is near impossible with miles.

Has anyone successfully booked this trip before? The award search engine is (obviously) useless here. Is AF availability on expertflyer not indicative of the inventory released to DL customers? Any tips??
Old Feb 2, 10, 9:51 pm

Programs: Delta, United Gold, American
One other airline to check award availability with Skymiles is Hawaiian-they have a once-weekly flight from HNL to PPT. I think you could do a free stopover in Hawaii too.
Old Feb 3, 10, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Originally Posted by stealthmidget View Post
The agent said she doesn't see the availability I see, and said getting to PPT is near impossible with miles.... Has anyone successfully booked this trip before? The award search engine is (obviously) useless here.
I booked a US-Australia award itin last year using NW WorldPerks miles and there was a good deal of availability on Air Tahiti Nui (TN). With relative ease we scored three business class seats SYD-PPT-LAX with a Tahiti stopover. (The itin eventually blew up when TN pulled out of Sydney, and we ended up coming home via ICN instead, but that's not your issue.)

The NW international partner desk used to have very good agents who knew how to scan for TN inventory and get you to Tahiti. I suspect availability has not changed much, but you're running into DL agents who don't know what they're doing or don't care. Obviously the DL award engine is about as useful as a chocolate teapot in this as in most cases, but you can see Air Tahiti Nui award inventory in all classes on ExpertFlyer.

I do agree that AF inventory is much more difficult to see / book.
Old Feb 3, 10, 1:41 pm

Programs: EBD
Is AF availability on expertflyer not indicative of the inventory released to DL customers? Any tips??
I find this very disturbing. In the past I've never encountered problems - if there were O seats available on AF, DL agents or even award search engine could book them. Now they frequently claim they cannot get the seats from AF even though Expertflyer shows O available :/

Good luck and have a great trip - Tahiti is as wonderful as the pictures!
Old Feb 3, 10, 2:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Thought I'd bump this thread, as I'm actually serious about booking this now. I found that Air France has award availability (expertflyer indicates 4 seats in "O" on the outbound, 2 on the return I want), and called Delta to check how many miles would be required. The agent said she doesn't see the availability I see, and said getting to PPT is near impossible with miles.

Has anyone successfully booked this trip before? The award search engine is (obviously) useless here. Is AF availability on expertflyer not indicative of the inventory released to DL customers? Any tips??
If O is showing, you should be able to book. I'd call back and get a more cooperative agent.
Old Feb 3, 10, 3:37 pm

Aha! Another call this evening did the trick. I was able to book the AF availability that I had noted before without a problem! Now just have to put the rest of the itinerary together, getting to LAX and back from the east coast. Thanks for the help; I wasn't even aware Hawaiian flew to PPT, and if the dates I have on hold fall through, it will be good to have options!
Old Feb 4, 10, 7:10 am

Programs: Worldperks & Skymiles
So how many miles did they stiff you for?
Old Feb 4, 10, 10:45 am

If I go through with it and redeem the tickets (they're just on hold until tonight), it'll be 150,000 per person for the LAX-PPT roundtrip. My home airport is CHS, and to add CHS-LAX and return segments will up the total to 195,000 per person.

I'm considering just touring Europe now instead.
Old Feb 5, 10, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
That seems incredibly poor value for your miles.

Search this Thread