Avoid the bulhead in first on the MD-88

Old Sep 8, 09, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum; UA Gold MM; IHG Spire Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Avoid the bulhead in first on the MD-88

I just experienced my first two segments in first on DL, both on the MD-88, and was surprised to discover that Seatguru's positive, green color-coded recommendation for seats 2A and 2B was wildly off the mark. Of those seats, speaking glowingly, Seatguru notes that 2A and 2B have about five more inches of pitch than 1C and 1D and a cutout in the bulkhead. Having flown this equipment, while I agree than 1C and 1D are poor seats, I think that 2A and 2B are poor seats as well. While there will be no one in front to recline into your space and you will be well positioned to get drinks early and often, the bulkhead is a hard one that precludes stretching out one's feet; the supposed five bonus inches, to me, appear to be a myth; the foot cutout is the most minuscule and pathetic one I have ever seen on any airline (maybe about 2" high and a couple of inches deep; perhaps you can jam a couple of toes into the cutout, but no more); and, of course, being the bulkhead, your laptop and other carry-on baggage needs to be stowed overhead for takeoff and landing.

Honestly, none of the seating in DL's MD-88s is particularly appealing as the pitch throughout the cabin is cramped by domestic first class standards. But, realizing that, I would never again choose 2A or 2B unless the only other seats left in the cabin were 1C or 1D. Just a warning for those who, like me, otherwise are inclined to take Seatguru's counsel as the gospel truth.

YMMV if you don't have any interest in stretching out your legs or if you are a double amputee.

Last edited by SAT Lawyer; Sep 8, 09 at 10:41 am
Old Sep 8, 09, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Premier
Got upgraded into 1D on the MD-88 the other day. Absolutely hate that seat - very restricted legroom - I try to avoid it at all costs.

Row 1 on the -90s is bad as well.
Old Sep 8, 09, 10:38 am

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Yeah, seatguru led me astray on that one this past weekend. I'm going to stick with 4B/C from now on. Didn't have any problems keeping my seat reclined gate to gate.
Old Sep 8, 09, 11:55 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold
PLEASE - Stay Away from 2B on the MD-88s!!!

I absolutely IMPLORE everyone, please stay away from 2B on the MD-88s. Demand to be reseated in coach, if necessary, but don't go NEAR 2B! Rebook to SW if DL can't accommodate you.

Seriously, I love 2B and will always grab it. 1CD and 2A don't offer much in the way of legroom. If you look carefully though, you'll see that the bulkhead in front of 2AB doesn't extend all the way across the front of 2B. As long as you aren't a POS, there's more than space to your right to give you "unlimited" leg room.

Again everyone, stay the heck away from 2B!
Old Sep 8, 09, 12:09 pm

I am a 2A/B fan, as well. To each his own, I guess.
Old Sep 8, 09, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum; UA Gold MM; IHG Spire Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jimrpa View Post
If you look carefully though, you'll see that the bulkhead in front of 2AB doesn't extend all the way across the front of 2B.
In 2B, I could wrap my right foot around the bulkhead wall. My left foot, on the other hand . . .
Old Sep 8, 09, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.1MM, EK Gold, SQ Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by uavking View Post
Yeah, seatguru led me astray on that one this past weekend. I'm going to stick with 4B/C from now on. Didn't have any problems keeping my seat reclined gate to gate.
And that, my friend, is why those IMO are the best seats on the Maddog.
Old Sep 8, 09, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
SeatGuru gathers their information about seats/pitch/legroom from us, the customers, so we should correct them.

If anyone is on Twitter, you can contact/follow their social media rep, @SeatGuru. I would be happy to share this thread with him/her. He/she also does visit FlyerTalk, too.
Old Sep 8, 09, 1:36 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Continental OnePass, Hilton Honors, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club, Starwood SPG
Funny this was mentioned. I fell for Seat Guru on this one too recently for a few flights.

Luckily I was 2B, so could stick the right leg out slightly into the aisle to salvage some room. Certainly not what I expected from Seat Guru's listings.

I did submit an update to SeatGuru outlining the seating situation and why it is incorrect/misleading about a week ago. Never saw anything further past the initial "thanks for your submission" type of email, so who knows.
Old Sep 8, 09, 1:51 pm

Thanks folks! Until a few seconds ago I was in 2B for my MD-88 flight on Friday.
Old Sep 8, 09, 1:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
It's definitely a matter of personal preference... I happen, as others have also noted, to prefer 2B. I'll take 1C as a second choice. I'm 6'0 so not too tall or too short... just right :-)
Old Sep 8, 09, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by GaryO3 View Post
It's definitely a matter of personal preference... I happen, as others have also noted, to prefer 2B. I'll take 1C as a second choice. I'm 6'0 so not too tall or too short... just right :-)
Great, you can keep 2B then, and we'll both be happy
Old Sep 8, 09, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
I'm always in 2A when on the '88. I'm 6' tall and I find it fine...but I'm not one to slouch down in my seat or try to play footsie with the person sitting in front of me.
Old Sep 8, 09, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
4A is my favorite seat.
Old Sep 8, 09, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by seminole_kev View Post
Funny this was mentioned. I fell for Seat Guru on this one too recently for a few flights.

Luckily I was 2B, so could stick the right leg out slightly into the aisle to salvage some room. Certainly not what I expected from Seat Guru's listings.

I did submit an update to SeatGuru outlining the seating situation and why it is incorrect/misleading about a week ago. Never saw anything further past the initial "thanks for your submission" type of email, so who knows.
I wrote to him/her on Twitter and directed him/her to this thread. I will let you know if I get a reply!

Search this Thread