Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

WorldPerks And SkyMiles Integration Update - nwa email 9/8/2009 from Jeff Robertson

WorldPerks And SkyMiles Integration Update - nwa email 9/8/2009 from Jeff Robertson

Old Sep 8, 09, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*

Just received via email. Bolding is mine. Turbulence ahead?
Dear Evan!,

We're quickly approaching the completion of the integration of the Northwest WorldPerks and Delta SkyMiles® programs, and the following is some information to prepare you for the new program arrival.

In October, the WorldPerks program will officially merge into the SkyMiles program. At this time, we will begin merging your existing WorldPerks account information into your linked SkyMiles account, including your redeemable, Elite qualifying and lifetime mileage balances. This mileage deposit into your SkyMiles account will be considered activity, which extends your 24-month mileage expiration date. Moving forward, as long as you have any qualifying earning or redemption activity in the account at least once every 24 months, your miles will never expire.

If your Medallion®* status changes when your Elite Qualifying Miles and Segments are combined, your status will be immediately upgraded, and you will receive new SkyMiles credentials to reflect the higher Medallion status.

Given the significant challenges in integrating two programs on very different technology platforms, members may experience a few inconsistencies in the merged program during the next six months. Please visit delta.com/what2expect for more information and for ongoing updates around program integration.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your patience as we consolidate the loyalty programs and continue to merge the airlines.

The combination of Northwest and Delta will offer customers the best network of any major airline, serving more than 565 destinations across six continents. On top of this, the merged airline loyalty program will not only offer more ways to earn and redeem miles than any other airline but will continue to feature industry-leading benefits, including Rollover Medallion Qualification Miles, Choice Benefits and a new Diamond Medallion tier.

Thank you for choosing Northwest, Delta and the SkyMiles program and for your continued patience and support during the final stages of our integration effort.

Sincerely,

Jeff Robertson
Vice President - Loyalty Programs
Old Sep 8, 09, 9:44 am

[QUOTE=Evan!;12347721]Just received via email. Bolding is mine. Turbulence ahead?

Sounds like Jeff is just trying to lower expectations. The HP-US FF account merger was a fiasco for a few months. Hopefully, DL will do better. But if not, we've been warned.

I plan to print out records of my accounts, just in case miles go missing.
Old Sep 8, 09, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Marriott Plat (lifetime Gold), Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador
deleted...off-base post.

Last edited by scotty00; Sep 8, 09 at 10:07 am
Old Sep 8, 09, 10:00 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by scotty00 View Post
This is new...so PerkSaver awards will be the only "mileage-only" redemption possibility going forward?
I believe you're confusing PerkChoice with PerkPass. PerkChoice is the cash one way, miles the other, option. PerkPass is the "anytime award". That being said, PerkEverything is not going forward.

I'm just relieved that status for combined EQM/MQM will be recognized immediately. I had an uneasy feeling that it wouldn't kick in until March 2010.
Old Sep 8, 09, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver
WorldPerks members will be assigned a new 10-digit SkyMiles account number? What if I already have a skymiles number?
Old Sep 8, 09, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Premier
Originally Posted by blug View Post
WorldPerks members will be assigned a new 10-digit SkyMiles account number? What if I already have a skymiles number?
If you had linked your SM and WP numbers already, your current SM number will be your number going forward and any NW miles/activity will be posted to that account.
Old Sep 8, 09, 10:51 am

Programs: UA(MM) , AA(MM) EXP, HH Diamond , SPG - LT Platinum
Lifetime balances

I am sure this has been covered before but I could not find it so my apologies in advance.

Are the Lifetime balances from Skymiles and Worldperks going to be combined (added together)? If so, I suspect that will put a whole bunch of folks (like me - 750K+ SM and 250K+ WP) into the Million Miler category?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Sep 8, 09, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by tullupump View Post
Are the Lifetime balances from Skymiles and Worldperks going to be combined (added together)?
At this time, we will begin merging your existing WorldPerks account information into your linked SkyMiles account, including your redeemable, Elite qualifying and lifetime mileage balances.
Old Sep 8, 09, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver
Originally Posted by mersk862 View Post
If you had linked your SM and WP numbers already, your current SM number will be your number going forward and any NW miles/activity will be posted to that account.
Thanks for the clarification. I have a lot of miles in both accounts!
Old Sep 8, 09, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
Giving credit where due:

Giving credit where due: it's good to hear Jeff being clear about possible hiccups. Let's hope this is a new trend of him getting away from all is great PR-speak.
Old Sep 8, 09, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Indeed, a refreshing dose of relatively clear communication. See, that wasn't so hard!
Old Sep 8, 09, 11:50 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, etc.
Originally Posted by runninaway View Post
I believe you're confusing PerkChoice with PerkPass. PerkChoice is the cash one way, miles the other, option. PerkPass is the "anytime award". That being said, PerkEverything is not going forward.

I'm just relieved that status for combined EQM/MQM will be recognized immediately. I had an uneasy feeling that it wouldn't kick in until March 2010.

I wonder if Perkchoice tickets booked pre-merger will still process as they do with NW. For the DL'ers that don't know the Perkchoice is essentially a paid one-way ticket blended with a one way miles ticket. The paid one-way is treated as a revenue ticket - you get miles, EQM, and can get an EUA according to the normal rules. The miles one-way is treated as an award - no miles, no EQM, and EUA is limited to day of departure. It would be rather aggravating to have booked one of these thinking you get EQM and then it get treated as a DL pay with miles where you don't get RDM/EQM on any part of the ticket.
Old Sep 8, 09, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Whoops, spoke too soon!

The PerkChoice redemption program will be discontinued, however a similar Pay with Miles* program for eligible Delta SkyMiles American Express Cardmembers is available to purchase tickets with a combination of miles and money

There is nothing at all similar about PerkChoice and Pay With Miles.

Perk Choice: Available to *ALL* fliers.
PWM: Gold/Plat/Reserve Amex only

Perk Choice: Accrue RDM/EQM and get upgrades on paid portion. Get upgrades on award portion.
PWM: No RDM or EQM at all, no upgrades at all

Almost had me DL!
Old Sep 8, 09, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL 2 Million Miler/Diamond; UA 1K Premier; Hyatt Platinum; Hilton Gold; National Executive Elite
In addition to warning all of us (DL and NW) about possible problems, the letter officially confirms that NW flyers will lose more of their prized benefits in the name of "best in class."

Perk Choice is fabulous. Pay For Miles doesn't even come close.

Platinums lose their companion upgrade at 5 days when on same confirmation #.

We lose award upgrades.
Old Sep 9, 09, 5:59 am

Million Mile Club deals with EQMs and MQM,s (Actual flown miles). I guess with all of the free EQM's and MQM's they will have to make a new category AFMORNCHAWNOD.(Actual flown miles on Republic, North Central, Hughes Air West, Northwest Orient, Delta)What a world we live in........

Search this Thread