Fuel Leak Flt 1412 ATL-DTW 9/7

Old Sep 7, 2009, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Fuel Leak Flt 1412 ATL-DTW 9/7

Today I was seated 28e (md-88) atl-dtw flt 1412 and during the flight I noticed fuel streaming from the top of the wing back off the trailing edge..I notified the f/a who called the flt deck..Several minutes later the f/a returned and said not a problem and will get looked at in detroit. So I took several pictures to confirm the leak and want to forward them to the right people.

Can someone please send me some e-mail contacts with delta ?

Thanks much,

BF
Old Sep 7, 2009, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by FAVRE
Today I was seated 28e (md-88) atl-dtw flt 1412 and during the flight I noticed fuel streaming from the top of the wing back off the trailing edge..I notified the f/a who called the flt deck..Several minutes later the f/a returned and said not a problem and will get looked at in detroit. So I took several pictures to confirm the leak and want to forward them to the right people.

Thanks much,

BF
Call your local FAA office and send to them.

Last edited by zman; Sep 7, 2009 at 9:26 pm
Old Sep 7, 2009, 7:48 pm

How do you know it's fuel versus condensation? I have a strong thought that it wasn't fuel.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by zman
Can your local FAA office and send to them.
Why?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 7:54 pm

OP, you dont think that the flight crew reported it to the right people? Highly doubt that that AC left DTW again without someone checking it out////
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL
Hm interesting. I don't really know who would be the correct people to notify, but If the FA noticed it I'm sure they would have reported it to the right people. Would you mind sharing the photos?

Welcome to FT FAVRE .
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by griffey3032
Hm interesting. I don't really know who would be the correct people to notify, but If the FA noticed it I'm sure they would have reported it to the right people. Would you mind sharing the photos?

Welcome to FT FAVRE .
http://photobucket.com/favre-photos

Last edited by Canarsie; Sep 7, 2009 at 11:25 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:41 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
So umm did you stay on the air craft or did you get off because of the fuel leak, if you staid on than whats the issue?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 2P, NWA & AirTran A+ refugee
report to FAA

Reporting to the airline is a good idea, but a better bet is to notify the FAA.

http://www.faa.gov/contact/safety_hotline/
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by WBurcham
How do you know it's fuel versus condensation? I have a strong thought that it wasn't fuel.
That was my thought as well.

Examples of condesnsation.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Unite...444b1a16e073f1

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Scand...444b1a16e073f1

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Lufth...444b1a16e073f1
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
So umm did you stay on the air craft or did you get off because of the fuel leak, if you staid on than whats the issue?
Sorta hard to get off at 30,00 ft.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
Originally Posted by FAVRE

Thanks much,

BF
Hmmmm.,,,,it's her first post, and suddenly she knows what she's looking at. Stay away from this one!
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ResSalesGuy
OP, you dont think that the flight crew reported it to the right people? Highly doubt that that AC left DTW again without someone checking it out////
How did he figure it out for leaking the fuels. I believe F/A didn't notified to captain in the flight deck. It should have to returns back ATL to prepared made emergency landing. They didn't have to inspection the fuel tanks before the plane is takeoff from ATL.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
I'm guessing it was no problem. Assuming the a/c made an immediate return to ATL as DL1443 (50 minute turn time, DL1412 arrived A29 and DL1443 left A29), it departed on-time and arrived back to ATL early. It was either condensation/etc or a very minor problem.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I'd guess the condensation as well. If it were a fuel leak, I'd tend to think it'd be noticed pretty quickly in the flight deck (most likely an alert, if not that, the fuel gauge would be going down at a much faster rate than planned) and a diversion would have happened for something as severe as a fuel leak (no captain is going to continue on the flight without getting that plane down ASAP if it's a fuel leak).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.