Fuel Leak Flt 1412 ATL-DTW 9/7

Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:39 pm

This is why smoking is no longer allowed on flights. People flicking their cigarette butts out the window and the next thing you know the wing is on fire.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by MastaHanky
This is why smoking is no longer allowed on flights. People flicking their cigarette butts out the window and the next thing you know the wing is on fire.
You know its against Federal laws and the smoking is prohibited. You cannot allowed to smoke on the plane during the flight. You have to wait to be descent approach into final destination cities. Then you will allow to smoke outside only and not inside.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 11:06 pm

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by N830MH
How did he figure it out for leaking the fuels. I believe F/A didn't notified to captain in the flight deck. It should have to returns back ATL to prepared made emergency landing. They didn't have to inspection the fuel tanks before the plane is takeoff from ATL.
No ... even with your posting program this is completely wrong.

If the FA notified the cockpit (which I believe any FA would if they thought there was a fuel leak - it'd be pretty crazy if an FA didnt) then the cockpit could see the fuel and watch the burn rate. Chances are very very very good that the OP saw condensation not a fuel leak.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by FAVRE
Today I was seated 28e (md-88) atl-dtw flt 1412 and during the flight I noticed fuel streaming from the top of the wing back off the trailing edge..I notified the f/a who called the flt deck..Several minutes later the f/a returned and said not a problem and will get looked at in detroit. So I took several pictures to confirm the leak and want to forward them to the right people.

Can someone please send me some e-mail contacts with delta ?

Thanks much,

BF
I'll bet she didn't actually talk to the flight deck.

There was a similar problem on a UA 747 bound for Tokyo recently was noticed by an Air Force refueling boom operator, who you'd think knows what a fuel leak looks like. His first report was rebuffed, so he watched it for a while long and reported it to someone with more intelligence & also indicated his occupation. By then the cockpit was noticing that some fuel readings were off.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 7:20 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by FAVRE
FAVRE's photos and the condensation photos at airliners.net don't look at all similar IMO. The OP's photos do indeed look like something leaking from connection points (bolts?) on the wing.

I don't believe that the FA would say nothing (it's his/her life too!). Perhaps if it was identified as a possible fuel leak by the captain he continued because it would be better to burn off fuel during the flight to DTW than make a heavy landing full of fuel returning to ATL.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 7:35 am

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by randidliyo
Hmmmm.,,,,it's her first post, and suddenly she knows what she's looking at. Stay away from this one!

Wow. Was this warranted?
Old Sep 8, 2009, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by nichojo
Wow. Was this warranted?
If it had been a first post offering gushing praise, there would have been no aspersions cast at the OP's credibility.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It starts with imaginary fuel leaks then it progresses to gremlins on the wing.

I'm confident that the OP didn't see a fuel leak.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FWAAA
It starts with imaginary fuel leaks then it progresses to gremlins on the wing.

I'm confident that the OP didn't see a fuel leak.
Wow,

I did'nt know that DL has hydrogen powered MD-88's...That "Condensation streaming back over the trailing edge from the fuel box cover was Water" Story works for me then....
Old Sep 8, 2009, 9:49 am

Unrelated fuel situation while I was on Delta Flght 801 to NRT last Friday afternoon. 9/4 sitting toward the rear in the right window seat. Tons of fuel began leaking from the end of the wingtip. I thought it was something very serious... and was anticipating deboarding and a cancelled flight.

Fire trucks were dispatched with firefighters having hoses armed and ready in case o ffire. The captain could be seen "screaming" at the refuelers. 20+ folks were standing around looking at fuel draining from the wingtip. Cat litter was dispensed to mop up the leaking fuel.

15 minutes later, a truck was brought in to defuel an overflow tank in the wing that had filled with fuel. According to the captain, the tanks have a certain "sequence" and fuel amount required to being refueled. Since 747 is so "new" to ATL... they have repeatedly experienced this problem as the fuelers are not aware of correct procedures.

About 1 hour later, the fuel was removed. No deboarding required. Engines were fired up and we were off to NRT. Everyone made their connections in NRT. Happy ending.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:06 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-list, Marriott Silver
Considering it didn't freeze at altitude, it probably was fuel.

However, it's not uncommon for fuel to leak from the boost pump access plate as you describe and, bottom line, it's not a big deal. The amount of venting is usually inconsequential considering the wing has several thousands of pounds of fuel in it. Good job though in doing your due diligence and reporting it but it certainly wasn't cause for alarm.

Added link for reference: http://www.37000feet.com/report/393100
Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I was on UA 881 earlier this year from ORD to NRT, when we developed a fuel leak about an hour out of ORD. We first headed back to ORD but then turned around again and went to SFO where there was a replacement aircraft. According to the pilot they were thinking of flying all the way to Tokyo but decided to play it safe. So I guess a fuel leak is not always that big a deal. On the way into SFO, they had to dump fuel (250,000 lbs) because they were too heavy to land.... that was pretty impressive. If you have never seen it, it's look like a fire hose spraying backwards out of the very ends of the wings.

Last edited by 5khours; Sep 9, 2009 at 10:12 pm
Old Sep 9, 2009, 11:01 pm

Programs: Delta GM, US Gold, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Ive probably seen this on about 5 or 6 MD-88 flights over the years...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.