Wiki Posts
Search

specific question about Delta in ZRH - urgent

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2009, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL:Diamond, United:1P, Continental: Plat, HH:Gold, SPG:Gold
specific question about Delta in ZRH - urgent

Is anyone reading this familiar with Delta operations at ZRH?

My passport and all identification and monies were stolen today at ZRH. I am schedule to fly home to US tomorrow afternoon. The ZRH police took a report, and issued me paperwork showing that I lost my passport. There is a line on the form where they can sign to verify they verified my identity with alternate id such as a drivers license but since that was stolen too they could not sign that for me. They said to check with Delta to see if Delta will let me on the plane with the form as is, and then i can just wrestle with immigration at JFK upon arrival. However, the Delta counters at ZRH are ALL CLOSED until tomorrow morning. I'd like to know *now* whether they are going to let me board the flight or not. And if not, will i have to buy a full fare walk up ticket to get home? which is impossible as i don't have that kind of money at all, and not even a credit card now to put it on since everything was stolen.

It was also recommended by the police that i go to the US consulate in Zurich tomorrow am first thing, but i just found out they are closed tomorrow for the US Labor day holiday. I don't know what to do. I am in tears and just have never had anything like this happen and it's terrifying. I have no money, no id, nothing, nothing.

The only good news is that the check-in rep at Renn zurich hotel feels so sorry for me that she upgraded me to a suite on the 4th floor, so at least i can eat snacks for meals in the lounge while i am trapped in the country.

Jenni
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:05 am

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Jenni,
You need to call the SMS desk. Your profile says you're PM, so I'm assuming you have a card. The 800 number on the back will probably not work from where you are.

Supposedly, there is a workaround for this although I've never tried it.

If it's an 800 number, dial 00-1-880
If it's an 877 number, dial 00-1-882
For 888 number,dial 00-1-881

Othewise, I guess you're stuck with the LD charges from your hotel room. Maybe the kind hotel clerk will let you off the hook on that as well.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:11 am

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
This has some useful info:
http://www.fodors.com/news/story_3486.html

You're probably going to have to get the temp passport before you leave. Call the emergency number for the consulate. I'm pretty sure DL will waive the change fee, invoking the "flat tire rule" since you have a police report.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:36 am
Original Poster

card is in stolen wallet

Originally Posted by Marylou
Jenni,
You need to call the SMS desk. Your profile says you're PM, so I'm assuming you have a card. The 800 number on the back will probably not work from where you are.

Supposedly, there is a workaround for this although I've never tried it.

If it's an 800 number, dial 00-1-880
If it's an 877 number, dial 00-1-882
For 888 number,dial 00-1-881

Othewise, I guess you're stuck with the LD charges from your hotel room. Maybe the kind hotel clerk will let you off the hook on that as well.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Thanks Marylou. My skymiles card is in my stolen wallet with everything else. If you want to share the number, please feel free to pm it to me. although, when i called the general reservations desk earlier, they said, as i reported in my OP that they couldn't tell me how Delta ops on the ground in ZRH would behave since they're contracted/outsourced employees.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Marylou
Call the emergency number for the consulate.
This is the first thing you should do. I am assuming this option is presented when calling the normal number (within Switzerland: 031 357 70 11). Good luck.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Here's the contact info for the main US consulate for Switzerland. Unfortunately, it's in Bern:

Routine telephone calls: 031 357 70 11 from 14:00-17:00
Emergencies: 031 357 70 11
Emergencies after hours, on weekends and holidays: 031 357 77 77
Fax: 031 357 72 80
Counter Service: 9:00 until 11:30, Monday through Friday. Directions to the Embassy
E-mail: [email protected]
Closed on American and Swiss holidays

Here's the info for the branch in Zurich:

Address: Dufourstrasse 101
CH-8008 Zurich, Switzerland

Direction: Take the Number 2 or 4 Tram in the direction of Tiefenbrunnen to the stop "Feldeggstrasse".

Appointment required
Tel: 043 499 29 60
Fax: 043 499 29 61
10:00 until 13:00, Monday through Friday.
E-mail: [email protected] ; Closed on American and Swiss holidays
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:05 am
Original Poster

no answer, but thank you

Originally Posted by tkey75
Here's the contact info for the main US consulate for Switzerland. Unfortunately, it's in Bern:

Routine telephone calls: 031 357 70 11 from 14:00-17:00
Emergencies: 031 357 70 11
Emergencies after hours, on weekends and holidays: 031 357 77 77
Fax: 031 357 72 80
Counter Service: 9:00 until 11:30, Monday through Friday. Directions to the Embassy
E-mail: [email protected]
Closed on American and Swiss holidays

Here's the info for the branch in Zurich:

Address: Dufourstrasse 101
CH-8008 Zurich, Switzerland

Direction: Take the Number 2 or 4 Tram in the direction of Tiefenbrunnen to the stop "Feldeggstrasse".

Appointment required
Tel: 043 499 29 60
Fax: 043 499 29 61
10:00 until 13:00, Monday through Friday.
E-mail: [email protected] ; Closed on American and Swiss holidays
Thank you. I too had found this info online but there is no answer at either the regular line for bern or zurich NOR the emergency line. it just rings and rings and rings. i've been trying for 3 hours.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To quote Douglas Adams -

Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The US number 202-501-4444 should be answered 24 hours a day for American Citizen Services. They should be able to help you get in touch with the consular staff in Switzerland.
http://travel.state.gov/about/info/info_308.html
[That number is different from the ones I have recorded with my travel info: Overseas Citizens Duty Desk: 202-647-5225; after hours 202-634-3600 ask for Overseas Citizens Services Duty Officer]

Do bear in mind that US embassies and consulates will be closed tomorrow for Labor Day. Often, though, after-hours assistance can be arranged.

Originally Posted by jenniparks
Thank you. I too had found this info online but there is no answer at either the regular line for bern or zurich NOR the emergency line. it just rings and rings and rings. i've been trying for 3 hours.
That's very unusual. Every US embassy or consulate I've ever called has at the least an answering machine/voicemail. Most have a way to contact a live person 24/7.

Last edited by soitgoes; Sep 6, 2009 at 11:25 am
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any way to find out who contracts for DL at ZRH? Perhaps they also contract with other airlines and there's a super you could speak with.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:23 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Check your inbox for a PM.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by jenniparks
Thanks Marylou. My skymiles card is in my stolen wallet with everything else. If you want to share the number, please feel free to pm it to me. although, when i called the general reservations desk earlier, they said, as i reported in my OP that they couldn't tell me how Delta ops on the ground in ZRH would behave since they're contracted/outsourced employees.
Jenni, I am only a lowly Gold but I am going to PM the Gold telephone number. If no one else sends you the Platinum, give it a try -- they should have better agents than those for general reservations.

Your big problem is your inability to identify yourself. Delta has enough information about you in their records (including your PIN number and your mother's maiden name) so that they should be able to satisfy themselves that they are speaking to the right person. Your task then is to convince them to put a notation in your PNR that your passport has been lost but that they are aware of your identity and can be allowed to board.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You might also try reaching the Bern embassy on the following US number:
202-647-0425
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Jenni,

I just spoke with a friend who is a consular officer. You will not be able to board your flight without valid travel documents, and the passport printing/document creation process is more elaborate than it used to be. The embassy or consulate needs to have full access to their computer system to verify everything and that system will be shut down until Tuesday morning, so the ZRH consulate can't do anything until then. Also, you'll need funds to pay for the new passport at that time, so you need to have some money sent to you via western union or wire transfer. (In the past AMEX offices would help with this, I don't know if they do now).

In the mean time you do want to reach the embassy duty officer, it is unusual that the off hours number doesn't respond, sounds like the numbers soitgoes listed should work for you. You'll also have to get DL to change your flight. Find out from the duty officer whether you can get the docs in time to make the Tue. flight or whether you'll have to resched for Wed.

Very sorry about this.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
The embassy or consulate needs to have full access to their computer system to verify everything and that system will be shut down until Tuesday morning, so the ZRH consulate can't do anything until then..
It depends on the post. Some posts still have procedures in place to do an after-hours travel document letter. However, the likelihood of getting that done if one has no proof of identity on them is diminished (for example, I know someone who had an expired passport as well as a valid US driver's license with them and that enabled the post to verify citizenship and identity and issue a travel document allowing return to the US--this was just in July).

To the OP:
-do you have an American Express? They are the fastest at getting replacement cards. They also will make arrangements with hotels to settle bills for cardholders who have had cards lost or stolen.
-Could your hotel provide you with cash (charging your credit card on file)?

The chance of your boarding a flight without any sort of travel document is close to zero. Not only would the airline have to be okay with it (which is unlikely), you'd have to go through exit passport control, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.