Wiki Posts
Search

ATL South Terminal Security Lane

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2009, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier Plat, Hertz 5*, HH Gold
ATL South Terminal Security Lane

I've been using the "new" security line on the South Terminal (left of the Delta Int'l check-in counters for a while now. What I don't understand is (if I'm wrong please correct me) that the entrance has signs that splits into two groups-expert travelers on the LEFT and premium passengers on the RIGHT.

What I've observed are:
1. no one stands at the entrance checking credentials (whether they are premium flyers or not).
2. the staff who stands outside the entrance basically aren't doing anything-just standing around.

It gets frustrated when there is a long line and you see people standing in front and behind you holding BPs sitting in 44A, zone 7, w/no status.

HAVE ANYONE NOTICED THIS?
Old Sep 5, 2009, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton, Marriott & SPG Platinum & a whole lot of other programs...
Agree...

Yes, it has been a problem and I have noticed it as well. I think sometimes that line is even longer that the regular security because there are only a few lanes open...

Write to Delta. If enough people complain, they may put some pressure on the Airport folks to better manage it
Old Sep 5, 2009, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by eddie1973
I've been using the "new" security line on the South Terminal (left of the Delta Int'l check-in counters for a while now. What I don't understand is (if I'm wrong please correct me) that the entrance has signs that splits into two groups-expert travelers on the LEFT and premium passengers on the RIGHT.

What I've observed are:
1. no one stands at the entrance checking credentials (whether they are premium flyers or not).
2. the staff who stands outside the entrance basically aren't doing anything-just standing around.

It gets frustrated when there is a long line and you see people standing in front and behind you holding BPs sitting in 44A, zone 7, w/no status.

HAVE ANYONE NOTICED THIS?

No matter what the sign says, these lines are open to everyone.
There is NO Elite dedicated line(s) at ATL.

It is up to the airlines to manage access to the TSA lines.
Appears DL and the other ATL airlines no longer want a dedicated premium line.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 10:53 pm

Programs: Delta
The only time the line is ever a problem is if one or both of the outside screening lanes are not open. If TSA would always open all lanes, the line wouldn't be an issue.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:48 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
We've become spoiled

Regardless of the un-enforcement of the Medallion line - although I have occasionally seen them check BPs and direct passengers to one line or the other - security in ATL is a breeze compared to what it used to be.

The worst I've experienced in the South security lanes in 15 minutes. Typically, it is more like 5.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 7:42 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
I've started using the north terminal "elite" line. This morning both the south "elite" and the regular lines were really backed up with the normal holiday traffic - went over to the north line and was through in less than 10 minutes when it looked like more like 30 at either of the other two. Good thing as when I made it to the gate we were boarding zone 1 (i was F to LAX).

Yesterday I was coming out of O'Hare and I must of skipped 40 minutes of wait by going to the unused Plat and Gold line. ATL needs to get its act back together and enforce the lines. With 4 tiers the FO's really need to go to the regular line.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 8:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SP Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Lofwyr
I've started using the north terminal "elite" line. This morning both the south "elite" and the regular lines were really backed up with the normal holiday traffic - went over to the north line and was through in less than 10 minutes when it looked like more like 30 at either of the other two. Good thing as when I made it to the gate we were boarding zone 1 (i was F to LAX).
Was about 15 minutes in the south line actually at 8:15 this AM, no biggie.

What WAS funny was last Friday when my wife and I were heading out at around 1:30 in the PM. As we approached the south "elite" line, a airport worker was directing everyone back toward the regular line and yelling something along the lines of "Don't use this one, it's a 45 minute wait, use the regular line....."

Ignoring her as I do 90% of ATL workers, and 7 minutes later, my wife and I exited the south "elite" line......
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:55 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
I was told by a DL Sky Club employee that the whole security area on the "South side" is going to be re-done and expanded, and that's why that Brookstone's and the electronics shop next to it are now closed--to make room for this reconfiguration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.