Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best and worst hubs?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2009, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
It's one of my home airports. I have been there a dozen or more times.
Oh yeah...I was talking more to the OP....

You are lucky to have it as a home airport. I didn't get to go landside because of time constraints...but it looked really nice there...and seemed they had a good view of the tarmac too!
Old Sep 6, 2009, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL
There are some rumors swirling around that there might be some time but probably not before you get here this week.

When they build a SC in 1 week I will be impressed. Now it takes them almost 1 year.

I haven't been through IND as I am more between CVG and DAY, but maybe I will have to go through IND sometime just to see it. It seems like everyone who talks about it has good things to say about it.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by griffey3032
When they build a SC in 1 week I will be impressed. Now it takes them almost 1 year.

I haven't been through IND as I am more between CVG and DAY, but maybe I will have to go through IND sometime just to see it. It seems like everyone who talks about it has good things to say about it.
It's hard to go wrong with nice and new. It's not the perfect airport though. I could nitpick it but it's mostly trivial. And there is the $1,100,000,000 that it cost to build.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 9:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
ATL & JFK are the worst of DL's hubs, and I dislike ATL as an international hub more than even JFK.

SLC and MSP are the best of the larger DL-NW hubs for me.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
There are some rumors swirling around that there might be some time but probably not before you get here this week.
You should know...starting rumors won't make them true! IND can't possibly be the largest NW/DL market currently without a SC (LAS and STL come to mind).
Old Sep 9, 2009, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by griffey3032
IND...Nice airport - went through it today - reminds me of DTW.

Both the flight coming in (from MSP) and going out (to MEM) were on the one-class RJs....yuck....Come on this isn't Terre Haute

(NOTE: I realize it is not a hub - but I included it in my list since there was a season in which it came up for flight connections - the flights to Texas - IND-AUS and IND-SAT - did not last very long if I recall correctly.)

Last edited by Watchful; Sep 9, 2009 at 7:39 pm Reason: added note about IND "hublet"
Old Sep 9, 2009, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
JFK is a horrible pit! dirty!
Old Sep 9, 2009, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
JFK is the worst major hub. SLC, DTW and MSP are the best.
Among destinations that are not major hubs, I've liked BOS for the nice CRC, SEA back when DL was in A concourse, and CVG.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
more than a rumor, they have been paying rent since the airport opened (MSP Approved the club before the merger, ATL stopped it and has since reapproved it....look for it next year)
Old Sep 10, 2009, 4:29 am

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
As a Cincinnati native it's hard not to come off as a homer, but bare in mind I only originate there 1 out of 8 flights. The rest I depart from DAY, CMH, IND and connect through CVG, ATL, DTW or JFK. Of them all, I'd actually prefer to connect in CVG, especially now that C is closed.

There are a few gate areas that are poorly laid out (specifically the gates nearest the center of the concourses) but aside from that, I have very few complaints. DTW on the other hand is a very nice airport, but MY GOD it has obscenely long concourses. It's very modern, and the tram is nice but still, it's too long for it's own good.

MEM on the other hand... I'll refrain from comment on due to comments that may come off as overly colorful, but I personally rank it below JFK.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DLfan
You should know...starting rumors won't make them true! IND can't possibly be the largest NW/DL market currently without a SC (LAS and STL come to mind).
Oh, I thought starting rumors always makes things come true. Have you heart of the new SDUDM status? (Super Duper Ultimate Diamond Medallion). No, there are markets that are bigger than IND that don't have a SC but none of them have a new airport and are a focus city for Delta. Population wise, IND is bigger than LAS in both city size and MSA size. But, of course, not in tourism size...but some of the deals I have been getting in email indicate that no one is going to LAS either. St Louis is a smaller city but a larger MSA.

Originally Posted by socrates
more than a rumor, they have been paying rent since the airport opened (MSP Approved the club before the merger, ATL stopped it and has since reapproved it....look for it next year)
That is not even close to the story that a NW agent told me but you probably have better information than that.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Originally Posted by photojojo
MEM on the other hand... I'll refrain from comment on due to comments that may come off as overly colorful, but I personally rank it below JFK.
Really? I wonder why that is. At MEM, you can land and be on your connecting flight all within 25 minutes.

At JFK, you might still be on the active taxiway 25 minutes later... *shrug*
Old Sep 10, 2009, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
That is not even close to the story that a NW agent told me but you probably have better information than that.
Careful with the IND agents you speak with...remember it's only been a few years that they've been the largest non-hub station, they've hired quite a few members of their team in the past few years
Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:25 pm

I enjoy JFK -- in terms of getting around, a walk from one end of a concourse in ATL, SLC, MSP, or DTW to a completely different end of another concourse takes probably about the same amount of time from gates 4-10 to gate 29 in JFK, but the transit is a fun non-linear experience with an exciting global and historical feel...and decent food. Whether JFK's terminal is replaced or not, the chronic delays will still impede your connecting experience as they do in EWR or other Northeast airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.