Mystery Question of Life (or cabin class)

Old Aug 28, 2009, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Mystery Question of Life (or cabin class)

With a significant Delta initiated schedule change resulting in an extra 10 hour layover I contacted Delta to shift things around. I was originally on Delta Metal in R Class (first class FF). I went NWA metal and got back to a reasonable layover. Post booking, went back to Delta.com and the NW reservation shows as Y Class (coach). I called Delta back, and after 15 minutes, I'm informed that I sit in first class. Trusting, but verifying, I went to nwa.com and put in the Delta confirmation number; and poof, it is A Class (first class FF). I printed both reservations so when NW seats open, I can make a case if things go sour.

Also important, both agents I spoke to were excellent in their understanding of the initial layover concern as well as the cabin class. Resolution was easy

Anyone with similar oddities?

“Insert snappy cliché here”
Old Aug 28, 2009, 10:25 pm

The Delta agent books you in Y class and then calls NW to get overbooking into A class for the Award space...In the interim, b4 tkts are reissued.. a check of the itin will reflect the Y class...Im sure the agent just let you off the line and finished the booking with the other depts...sometimes there are 15-20 min holds for us to actually speak to each other!!...Im glad its resolved...
Old Aug 29, 2009, 7:00 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by njswamps
Also important, both agents I spoke to were excellent in their understanding of the initial layover concern as well as the cabin class. Resolution was easy
I've never had anything but competence and friendliness from CS when I had a similar issues. Alternate flights are offered, often without concern for award seat availability per se. Some have even offered using an alternate airport at my origin (I'm roughly equidistant from 4 of them). Once they made such a change and, as it was for Delta's convenience, provided $50 or $100 (cannot remember which) for the extra fuel to get to the airport.

Only once, on a FF first class award, did an ATL GA put me in coach in an IRROPs situation, while the GIDS showed F availability, and was nasty about it. I simply waited for her to leave the podium for a moment and her replacement happily put me where I belonged.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ResSalesGuy
The Delta agent books you in Y class and then calls NW to get overbooking into A class for the Award space...In the interim, b4 tkts are reissued.. a check of the itin will reflect the Y class...Im sure the agent just let you off the line and finished the booking with the other depts...sometimes there are 15-20 min holds for us to actually speak to each other!!...Im glad its resolved...
Just checked, 36 hours later it is still in Y Class.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by njswamps
Just checked, 36 hours later it is still in Y Class.
I would definitely call back and make sure the tickets are set up to be reissued....thats not good...

Oh,..Nevermind..just reread the post...if its delta.com then who cares! LOL...If its a NW plane, then NWA is correct and matches your tickets....Delta.com is a dinosaur and might catch up sometime after your trip occurs.....
Old Aug 29, 2009, 5:33 pm

Programs: Delta, United, American
I had 2 BE award tix on the soon to be nonexistant LGA-ATL-PVG from Delta.

When the schedule changed, I called to request the JFK-NRT-PVG routing.

There was only 1 BE seat on NWA 799 (on a Delta 777-200 JFK-NRT) so the Delta agent said "no prob" for the first seat. She needed to call NWA to get the 2nd seat opened. I had to go but she said when she had it she would call me and let me know it was all taken care of. Low and behold, about 10 min later I got a call "ok, you are now both on NWA 799".

I checked the Delta site and it had the new itinerary but the NWA site still had the original routing. NWA agents told me to wait and the systems would "update and cross reference" in less than 1 wk. 3 wks later, I called again and was told, "don't worry, your travel dates are still >90 days, it will be updated". Funny thing (?) is that NWA kept saying "it is a Delta reservation, we can't touch it" and Delta kept saying "it is correct, NWA needs to update the flights in their system".

Finally, about 6 wks after I got the "phone call", I was able to get a Delta agent who admitted it was weird that NWA didn't get the updated info and looked a little further into it. She ultimately realized "it was not reticketed" (gulp!). She said that the agent got approval for the seat but a "new ticket needed to be generated". She was able to immediately do this for me and within 1 hour the NWA site showed the correct info. Whew.

Last edited by clintonuws; Aug 29, 2009 at 9:16 pm
Old Aug 29, 2009, 7:11 pm

Its my understanding the DL doesnt normally reissue tkts right away due to sked chgs...partly because they happen so often and partly due to the lack of technology that can handle a reissue....So that might be the problem....

Incidentally....this is NOT gonna fly as the partnership with KLM expands...they will cancel a res if its not reissued with new tkt nbrs shortly after booking.....So DL is gonna have to scramble to get new technology in place....The NW rapid-reprice reissue tool is amazing and can drive a new tkt in a minute or so....The agent can handle it all and doesnt have to transfer to a "reissue desk"...in fact there is no such thing in the NW model....
Old Sep 15, 2009, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Update as of 09-15-09

Still flying one leg in Y Coach, Delta has the second leg now in A.
Added a second seat (on same plane, different flight numbers) in A for return.

Also getting MQM

NWA has it correct, no changes

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.