Switching an oversold flight over the phone

Old Aug 28, 09, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
Switching an oversold flight over the phone

So I am flying MKE->JFK->MAD tomorrow. I was going to check in online and saw the message that my flight is oversold. I called and found out both of my flights are oversold. I kindly asked the agent if they'd switch my flight from MKE->JFK to ORD->JFK (wide open) instead. I told her that this way, they won't have to waste money on giving people vouchers and I get to switch from a plane with no F to one with F. It's a win win situation but I was told no.

Does that make any sense to anyone?
Old Aug 28, 09, 3:15 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Actually, yes. "Oversold" doesn't mean they will need volunteers or need to dole out vouchers. No-shows, misconnects, etc. Reminds me of a time I was in CVG waiting for a flight several years ago flying standby on some flight. The GA told me I had a good chance to get on. Then a couple minutes later he got on the PA and asked for volunteers. He wanted them "just in case" he needed them. It ended up he didn't need them and I got on the flight no problem.

Often "oversold" flights go out with empty seats.

I think if you wanted to take an earlier flight from the same city, you might have had a chance at the airline taking you up on your offer. But a different city requires a ticket reissue, so I can see why they said no.
Old Aug 28, 09, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fti View Post
Actually, yes. "Oversold" doesn't mean they will need volunteers or need to dole out vouchers. No-shows, misconnects, etc. Reminds me of a time I was in CVG waiting for a flight several years ago flying standby on some flight. The GA told me I had a good chance to get on. Then a couple minutes later he got on the PA and asked for volunteers. He wanted them "just in case" he needed them. It ended up he didn't need them and I got on the flight no problem.

Often "oversold" flights go out with empty seats.

I think if you wanted to take an earlier flight from the same city, you might have had a chance at the airline taking you up on your offer. But a different city requires a ticket reissue, so I can see why they said no.
No show is a possiblility. MKE is not a DL hub so probably no misconnects there. Oh well.

I know I can get on an earlier flight from the same city for free with SDS and gold status. Unfortunately, that's the only MKE->JFK flight of the day. I know they can reissue ticket if they really want to. They reissued my return flight from MKE to ORD a month ago after a schedule change and a phone call. I know it's a difference case here but personally I think if the airlines can do something that doesn't cost them anything extra while it can make the elites happy, they should do it because it's good for business. But then again, this is Delta.
Old Aug 28, 09, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hw711 View Post
I know I can get on an earlier flight from the same city for free with SDS and gold status. Unfortunately, that's the only MKE->JFK flight of the day.
Actually, even if there were an earlier flight, you wouldn't be able to use same-day confirmed because the first leg is part of an international itinerary.
Old Aug 28, 09, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stealthmidget View Post
Actually, even if there were an earlier flight, you wouldn't be able to use same-day confirmed because the first leg is part of an international itinerary.
Really? That sucks. I have done it on NW.
Old Aug 28, 09, 5:40 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I remember once because of WX at PHL I called regarding our flight because I knew it would be departing late or worst case canceled. The agent said it was going to departing late and was over booked. She asked if we could fly in the morning. Given we wanted to stay later and finish some work I said sure - so she rebooked us for the flight the next day and immediately put both of us in FC (we were both FO). I figured it was a win-win as the hassle of going to airport from NJ in the rain during rush hour was going to suck. And the extra night was no big deal.
Old Aug 28, 09, 5:51 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Really? That sucks. I have done it on NW.
But then again, this is Delta.

This is the same airline that told me "I can look at only three flights for your award ticket request." And they want to charge me $20 for that "service"?!?
Old Aug 28, 09, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stealthmidget View Post
Such is the published policy, and that is what SMS will say if you call them, but I've had no problems making the change at the airport.
Old Aug 28, 09, 7:30 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
So I am flying MKE->JFK->MAD tomorrow. I was going to check in online and saw the message that my flight is oversold. I called and found out both of my flights are oversold. I kindly asked the agent if they'd switch my flight from MKE->JFK to ORD->JFK (wide open) instead. I told her that this way, they won't have to waste money on giving people vouchers and I get to switch from a plane with no F to one with F. It's a win win situation but I was told no.

Does that make any sense to anyone?
I've never seen one of these notifications, but I have to wonder what is the purpose of notifying a passenger that a flight is oversold if the airliiine isn't going to do anything about it in advance anyway. Is this just another one of those things that meets an FAA or DOT requirement but actually offers no assistance to the passenger?
Old Aug 28, 09, 10:25 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by STBCypriot View Post
I've never seen one of these notifications, but I have to wonder what is the purpose of notifying a passenger that a flight is oversold if the airliiine isn't going to do anything about it in advance anyway. Is this just another one of those things that meets an FAA or DOT requirement but actually offers no assistance to the passenger?
I mean i guess it lets you have more time to think if you would want to take a later flight by voulenteering at the counter instead of just announcing it at the counter and not haveing as much time, and it lets you know there is the possibility you could get bumped. I like it better to know before time.
Old Aug 29, 09, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Or to build me up with hope of getting an UpOp on my JFK->MAD flight only to just let me down.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: