Wiki Posts
Search

Itinerary Changes Normal?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Itinerary Changes Normal?

Delta recently moved my late afternoon LAX-HNL flight to the morning. (Oct 7, #1465)

While I cannot complain about getting to Hawaii earlier in the day, how likely are they to change it again? My interisland flight is late that evening and I worry Delta will move it again, right after I move my interisland flight.

Customer service was of little help, rep said that they can change the itinerary up to 24 hours in advance of the actual flight. Any advice is appreciated.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Was this change recent or are you only noticing now? Since you're less than 6 weeks out from departure, I think you should be safe. Schedule changes are DL's specialty. To me, anything over 2 months or more, schedule changes are expected.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:28 am
gsw

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Was this change recent or are you only noticing now? Since you're less than 6 weeks out from departure, I think you should be safe. Schedule changes are DL's specialty. To me, anything over 2 months or more, schedule changes are expected.
Agreed. It seems like lately I have had more itn's with changes than without.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 5:02 am

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
Truefully, I always check at least once a week bedore a flight to see if there have been changes that I don't know about. I follow the old adage about not assuming--in this case , I don't assume that I am goung to get a heads up about changes. I am often right.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 7:11 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
they change a lot. I normally book my tickets about a week out and they still change, only by a minute or two but they change. IF it is a couple of months out then it can move all over or be canceled and they will rebook you on another flight. With all the cutbacks there are lots of changes.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Flight status changed on Aug 20

We leave LAX this coming Oct 7. Just about 7 weeks out until the trip. I didn't mind the changes that made it leave a few minutes earlier or later than the original ticket I bought, but a change from 5:40pm to 8:35am is a little crazy!
Old Aug 27, 2009, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by lance6
We leave LAX this coming Oct 7. Just about 7 weeks out until the trip. I didn't mind the changes that made it leave a few minutes earlier or later than the original ticket I bought, but a change from 5:40pm to 8:35am is a little crazy!
There is a 2:30 PM on NW623 that is an option. However, it is on a 753 instead of 763.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 2:35 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
To me, anything over 2 months or more, schedule changes are expected.
and with the schedule changes come either equipment changes or seat assignment changes or both.

Bob H
Old Aug 27, 2009, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

I saw the NW flight

Not sure if I can easily change tickets with the economy seats I bought.

Seating did change, at least they put us near the front. I am hesistant to change my interisland tickets given the possibility of another major change.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 3:13 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Not sure if I can easily change tickets with the economy seats I bought.

Seating did change, at least they put us near the front. I am hesistant to change my interisland tickets given the possibility of another major change.
It has been reported that DL won't put pax on NW and vice versa with schedule changes. Of course YMMV.

I check my Delta reservations more often than I ever checked my NW ones - schedule changes are the norm, not the exception. And though I have had pretty major changes, nothing quite as drastic as you had for this trip.

John
Old Aug 27, 2009, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I am hesistant to change my interisland tickets given the possibility of another major change.
Separate tickets can become a big problem.

Add Delta's propensity for schedule changes, an economy where airlines are still reducing schedules, and fleet/route rationalizations with the NW acquisition, and it is tough. DL's schedule changes are just a part of life, like NW not permitting seat assignments more than 90 days out: it's the way they work. (Lots of people use schedule changes to their advantage to cancel non-refundable tickets or redeposit award tickets w/o a fee.)
Old Aug 27, 2009, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by gungadin
Truefully, I always check at least once a week bedore a flight to see if there have been changes that I don't know about. I follow the old adage about not assuming--in this case , I don't assume that I am goung to get a heads up about changes. I am often right.
I do this as well. Usually just to make sure I don't lose my seat, or in some cases hoping someone else won't notice and I can get a better seat .

Originally Posted by fti
It has been reported that DL won't put pax on NW and vice versa with schedule changes. Of course YMMV.

I check my Delta reservations more often than I ever checked my NW ones - schedule changes are the norm, not the exception. And though I have had pretty major changes, nothing quite as drastic as you had for this trip.

John
Actually I think Delta did put me on DL metal when I was orginally on NW. I was supposed to fly through DTW. I can't remeber if it was NW metal or not, but I am think now I was seeing I was going through DTW. Anyways I got a schedule change and ended up on all DL metal through BOS, but that could have been just a one time thing...
Old Aug 27, 2009, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
I think for making a change in the itinerary, Delta should be charged a penalty fee!

Last edited by cmh flyer; Aug 28, 2009 at 9:41 am
Old Aug 27, 2009, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Executive
I have found that...

Reservations have been very helpful when there has been a schedule change and it has enabled me to get better connections because of the schedule changes.

For example, I had a SYD-DTW-ATL-RIC leg that was switched to SYD-ATL-RIC (which was more expensive at the time of booking) because of the schedule change.

So in my mind the schedule changes can be advantageous.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
Hello FTers,

I will weigh in with DL changes.... I am booked on DL 84 from JFK-CAI on November 15, 2009. Originally the flight was to leave at 4:45 PM and arrive the next morning at 10 am. Fantastic. I am flying from JFK and would have a couple of hours layover. Fine.

A month later, DL 84 has changed the departure time to 10 pm and arrives at 4:45 pm the next day!!!! Now I have a 12 hour layover!!! nuts nuts nuts.... I have changed the SFO-JFK to arrive at 5 pm... but I would have preferred the original departure at 4:45. Oh well. I am hoping DL will change the flight to its original schedule.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.