Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Sign of the times? Platinum in a middle seat in coach

Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

This might be the last straw. But on a Delta flight, there are no other seats than middle seats. I cannot believe there are no other seats available. I have been able to bear the unending stripping of Platinum benefits by Delta recently (from the beginning of the year) and even the introduction of Diamond level but this might be the last straw. Continental looks more and more attractive. I'm thinking to do this before the Diamond level takes effect next year.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:24 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
See ya, can I get the 500 bonus miles delta will give you for sitting in a middle seat?
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
The one thing I wish Delta would do (that UA, CO and NW do a great job of) is expanding the number of seats for elite members.

Most DL planes only have the first two non-bulkhead rows in coach, plus exit rows as preferred seats. On a MD-88, that's a mere 15 seats (since not all exit rows are even preferred). On a 737-800, that's 24 seats.

NW, on the other hand, has the following on their 100-seat DC-9-30s:

-16 F seats
-6 handicapped seats (cannot be prereserved unless handicapped)
-7 Choice/ExitChoice seats (held till 24 hours from departure - free for elites then)
-25 Preferred/Exit Row seats available at time of purchase to elites.
-46 seats anyone can choose at time of purchase.

Yes, it probably means a non-elite is more likely to not have a seat assignment and get a middle seat. Too bad so sad. I've never had a problem getting an aisle or window seat on a NW flight even when I bought 48-72 hours before departure - where a non-elite couldn't get an assigned seat. That's because NW does a great job in keeping a high inventory of seats held for only elites and is more than willing to let non-elites wait till check-in for a seat.

I wouldn't mind it so that each plane had at least 30-40 seats that only elites could pre-reserve - a much higher number than the current 15 (MD-80) to 24 (757-200) that elites can reserve. Especially when on some routes, 24 elites on the upgrade list is not uncommon (cough ATL-anywhere Monday morning).
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:27 pm

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
I've had this happen a few times, but it's just down to other elites booking the flight prior to you. I don't see this as DL's issue but rather a "late booking" issue. I primiarly fly elite heavy routes and i've booked so late sometimes that I'm in the back AND in a middle seat...but hey - I'm happy to get to where I need to go!

I also often get the back and middle when I SDS and am usually the last to clear....as I follow the GA down to the plane to do a manual count and see if there is just that *one seat* left for me!
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:29 pm

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
See ya, can I get the 500 bonus miles delta will give you for sitting in a middle seat?
Ah yes - it is middle seat monday!
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, CO Silver
Maybe it's just me, but it seems ridiculous to expect that just because you are a Plat, you deserve a non-middle seat at all times. If you book your flight early enough, you should be fine - if you have to fly last minute, then you have to take what's available. Still a chance you will get an upgrade though.

I'm only a FO, and have never had problems getting an aisle in an exit row, provided I book far enough in advance. I guess booking early still trumps status.

Originally Posted by bumpme
This might be the last straw. But on a Delta flight, there are no other seats than middle seats. I cannot believe there are no other seats available. I have been able to bear the unending stripping of Platinum benefits by Delta recently (from the beginning of the year) and even the introduction of Diamond level but this might be the last straw. Continental looks more and more attractive. I'm thinking to do this before the Diamond level takes effect next year.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:31 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I don't understand why DL is downgrading the PM benefits while adding a new level (diamond) and adding benefits to silver and gold. The only thing I can think of is that they are downgrading PM to try to entice people to go for diamond. This may backfire and people will just switch airlines when they can rather than try to reach 125k to qualify for DM.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
I don't understand why DL is downgrading the PM benefits while adding a new level (diamond) and adding benefits to silver and gold. The only thing I can think of is that they are downgrading PM to try to entice people to go for diamond. This may backfire and people will just switch airlines when they can rather than try to reach 125k to qualify for DM.
I looked at my benefits.. .. Don't see anything saying "Guanteed no middle seat" So why is this complaint related to the "downgrading"

As a Platinum I have had a middle seat. However, since I didn't think it was "complaint" worthy. That said if I were the OP I would just check the seating chart REGULARLY. I have often been able to move as the flight gets closer and they upgrade or others change plans.

I don't think that being a "platinum" means Delta should refuse seat assignments or sales to others because I "might" show up and want a seat.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by CarolDisney1
However, since I didn't think it was "complaint" worthy.
Exactly.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
I don't see (legacy DL) PM being downgraded severely from the '09 program. The only devaluation is going from 6 PMUs to 4, and even there, people have the option of gifting FO to someone, bonus miles or gift cards if they don't want PMUs (which I suspect will be most Medallions, given that the vast majority of them don't use the PMUs). In return, Plats are getting award ticket upgrades and free direct ticketing fee waivers (unlimited). At absolute worse, DL Plat in 2010 will be a push to the program in 2009 for most people (unless you are one of the PMs that used all 6 PMUs in a year - in that case, there is the devaluation).
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by mersk862
I don't see (legacy DL) PM being downgraded severely from the '09 program. The only devaluation is going from 6 PMUs to 4, and even there, people have the option of gifting FO to someone, bonus miles or gift cards if they don't want PMUs (which I suspect will be most Medallions, given that the vast majority of them don't use the PMUs). In return, Plats are getting award ticket upgrades and free direct ticketing fee waivers (unlimited). At absolute worse, DL Plat in 2010 will be a push to the program in 2009 for most people (unless you are one of the PMs that used all 6 PMUs in a year - in that case, there is the devaluation).
The upgrade rate for PM's will drop when a sizeable portion of PM's are moved up to DM status.

This will be in additon to the effects of MQM inflation that DL is so good at. Many PM's perhaps shouldn't be complaining about this aspect of it because they should have been GM's.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
The upgrade rate for PM's will drop when a sizeable portion of PM's are moved up to DM status.

This will be in additon to the effects of MQM inflation that DL is so good at. Many PM's perhaps shouldn't be complaining about this aspect of it because they should have been GM's.
Yes, PM is [will be] a midtier status and no better. That's cool, though, because it's so laughably easy to attain with all these CC/promo MQMs and so on. With judicious rollover management, it might not be necessary to fly DL at all next year to maintain PM and still receive some measure of benefit when flying AF/KL/AM. All real flying can be sent to *A.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by booper
Maybe it's just me, but it seems ridiculous to expect that just because you are a Plat, you deserve a non-middle seat at all times. If you book your flight early enough, you should be fine - if you have to fly last minute, then you have to take what's available. Still a chance you will get an upgrade though.

I'm only a FO, and have never had problems getting an aisle in an exit row, provided I book far enough in advance. I guess booking early still trumps status.
But you don't consider the people (like me) who purchase their tickets within hours of flying and pay a full Y or B fare. When that happens, I am upset if I received a middle seat in coach.

One of the reasons I left US for DL was the change of policy of not holding any FC back for possible up-grades for the day of departure. I was often a full-fare chairmans sitting in the back of the bus. Not the right way to treat some of your better customers.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Singleflyer
But you don't consider the people (like me) who purchase their tickets within hours of flying and pay a full Y or B fare. When that happens, I am upset if I received a middle seat in coach.
Every elite buying a Y fare can upgrade to F at time of booking, inventory available. So, you want DL to withhold more F seats for last minute purchasers? Let the moaning and whining begin that 'I didn't get my upgrade at the 5/3/1 day window!'
Old Aug 17, 2009, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
But arguably... the upgrade rate for the DM/PM population would stay flat... so if you want the upgrade... fly the extra 50,000 MQMs.

and regarding the OP... i'm very curious about:

1) route
2) when they purchased it
3) Fare Code

as far as i am concerned... if you start buying non-Y fares... less than five days out... you're lucky to have a seat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.