Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Atlanta to Billings, MT, a 4 hour flight on a CRJ?

Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:18 pm
AGS
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, AAdvantage Platinum

I'm looking for flights to get to Yellowstone National Park next year and see a great deal on flights through Atlanta into Billings, MT. That's nearly four hours in a CRJ!

Has anyone done this flight before? Seems like a long time to be in such a small plane. I would be interested to hear from someone who's done this flight.

Thanks,
AGS
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I believe it's on a CRJ-900 - comes out to 1525 miles, which is indeed a long flight for a CR9 even. Best hope to be upgraded to F on that flight - I wouldn't want to be sitting in that back of that flight for so long.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:27 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AGS
I'm looking for flights to get to Yellowstone National Park next year and see a great deal on flights through Atlanta into Billings, MT. That's nearly four hours in a CRJ!

Has anyone done this flight before? Seems like a long time to be in such a small plane. I would be interested to hear from someone who's done this flight.

Thanks,
AGS
I have flown ATL-BZN a few times, which is a bit longer, but on mainline...

Personally, I would never subject myself to ATL-BIL on a CRJ even the 900 that I believe is operating the flight. Depending on what you want to see in the park, BZN is a better gateway to most of the "park sites." But, BZN is usually more expensive than BIL. If going to Old Faithful, Paint Pots, The Firehole, (the Western end of the park) expect 3:30-4:00 hour drive from BIL. It is about 2:00-2:30 from BZN.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by TTT
If going to Old Faithful, Paint Pots, The Firehole, (the Western end of the park) expect 3:30-4:00 hour drive from BIL. It is about 2:00-2:30 from BZN.
Dang, I guess travel times went way up since MT imposed speed limits!

David
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:58 pm
AGS
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
Depending on what you want to see in the park, BZN is a better gateway to most of the "park sites." But, BZN is usually more expensive than BIL. If going to Old Faithful, Paint Pots, The Firehole, (the Western end of the park) expect 3:30-4:00 hour drive from BIL. It is about 2:00-2:30 from BZN.
Most definitely. But the BIL flight is much cheaper, by nearly a factor of three. We're staying at Mammoth, so BZN would be much more convenient. At this point, I'm just weighing the options.

AGS
Old Jul 28, 2009, 7:10 pm

Gosh, and I'm "almost" complaining flying an A-320 from SAN-MSP and then another one from MSP-DCA every other week with no IFE!
(the great NW service makes the difference; and the
weather in MSP vice ATL in the summer is no comparison)
Let us know how you make out.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 7:10 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DiverDave
Dang, I guess travel times went way up since MT imposed speed limits!

David
Yeah, it was a bummer. But we can still get away with 80-85 without much trouble
Old Jul 28, 2009, 7:16 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AGS
Most definitely. But the BIL flight is much cheaper, by nearly a factor of three. We're staying at Mammoth, so BZN would be much more convenient. At this point, I'm just weighing the options.

AGS
If it was a factor of three, I would probably bite the bullet and fly into BIL.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by mersk862
I believe it's on a CRJ-900 - comes out to 1525 miles, which is indeed a long flight for a CR9 even. Best hope to be upgraded to F on that flight - I wouldn't want to be sitting in that back of that flight for so long.
The NW configuration of the 900 has 3 rows around the exits with generous legroom, although your butt is still squeezed into a seat that is too small for many people.

Yes, that's an awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwfully long flight for a CRJ. The DL exit row's not too bad.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 4:40 am
AGS
Original Poster

Thanks all for the advice. What I forgot to mention is that I'm 6' 7", which makes the long CRJ flight even worse.

I found a similar fare on another carrier, so I'm going with that. Seems worth it to fly into Billings for that price ($238 vs. over $500 into Bozeman).

AGS
Old Jul 29, 2009, 4:43 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AGS
Thanks all for the advice. What I forgot to mention is that I'm 6' 7", which makes the long CRJ flight even worse.

I found a similar fare on another carrier, so I'm going with that. Seems worth it to fly into Billings for that price ($238 vs. over $500 into Bozeman).

AGS
$500 into BZN isn't too bad actually. There have been times where I have paid more than $800 domestically. Of course you can fly to Europe from BZN for less than $750. Go figure.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 5:23 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
4 hours on a CRJ, even a 900, is a 4 hour root canal without novacaine. Even in F it would get old fast.

I'm surprised the direct flight is that cheeap. Did you look into connecting at SLC? Usually connections are cheaper than non-stops.

Good luck to your back and butt if you take this flight....
Old Jul 29, 2009, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
The NW configuration of the 900 has 3 rows around the exits with generous legroom, although your butt is still squeezed into a seat that is too small for many people.

Yes, that's an awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwfully long flight for a CRJ. The DL exit row's not too bad.
Nice try....it has the same seat width and pitch as most "mainline" aircraft.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AGS
At this point, I'm just weighing the options.

AGS
DL can route you through MSP or SLC but that may not get the cheap fare.

Long, low demand routes don't support big aircraft at high frequency. If DL didn't have CRJs (all variants) to fly ATL-BIL non-stop, they wouldn't fly it at all.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 5:30 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
When DL started a PIT/SLC non-stop a while back it was on a CRJ (I forget what version) which is 135 miles LONGER than ATL/BIL - and this was during SKIing season!! They eventually upgraded it to an MD (90 I think). Then, of course it was elimnated during the fuel price crisis. I think somebody somewhere said that this was one of the longest CRJ routes that existed. There's a thread on it somewhere! Good luck to the 6'7" guy!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.