Delta Reserve v. Platinum

Old Jul 28, 2009, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond Medallion
Delta Reserve v. Platinum

I have a Reserve card and will make DM. Given the fact that DM comes with free Skyclub I am kind of thinking I no longer need the Reserve card. The only thing that may be worth the $500 is the additional 20,000 MQMs I get over using the Platinum card??? Thoughts?
Old Jul 28, 2009, 9:47 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
It would also give you upgrade priority over other DM's without the Reserve Card.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Yup, there is an ovelap in benefits with DM and AMEX Reserve.

Would you need the 20K MQMs to re-qualify for DM? If not, I would try for a lower-fee AMEX. Even if you did, you could get some MQMs with the Platinum AMEX at 1/3 the cost.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:30 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
there's not a 20K mile difference between Plat and Reserve. Plat gets 20K MQMs with 50K spending and Reserve gets 30K MQMs with 60K spending. Am I missing something here?

depends on how much of a benefit the Reserve tie-breaker would be for you on upgrades.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond Medallion
there's not a 20K mile difference between Plat and Reserve. Plat gets 20K MQMs with 5

All the more reason to switch back to the Platinum card unless they upgrade the benefits associated with the Reserve card. It seems the only people who really benefit from the Reserve card are non-DMs.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by sbwestfall
All the more reason to switch back to the Platinum card unless they upgrade the benefits associated with the Reserve card. It seems the only people who really benefit from the Reserve card are non-DMs.
Delta killed the really big benefit. 5% off all DL purchases.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by jtrue28
there's not a 20K mile difference between Plat and Reserve. Plat gets 20K MQMs with 50K spending and Reserve gets 30K MQMs with 60K spending. Am I missing something here?
Probably the 5K MQM bonus that comes with a new Reserve card....

David
Old Jul 28, 2009, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
I look at it this way. My wife and I do lots of transcons (to SFO and SEA) and buy FC (A) fares. Using a 2 for 1 FC companion certificate is a savings of somewhere between $1000 and $1200--two to three times more than the annual fee. That alone makes it worth it. If I only bought LUT type fares, maybe it wouldn't be--but fortunately that isn't the case.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.