Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Nested reward bookings, check bags to final dest?

Old Jul 19, 2009, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, AA PM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum

Redeemed miles today for roundtrip to HNL before the 747 is taken off the route and also redeemed skymiles for a partner booking on Hawaiian Air for HNL-KOA. The ATL-HNL flight lands at 2:20pm, and the HNL-KOA flight on Hawaiian departs at 7:25pm. Will Delta check my bags through to KOA, or will I have to claim and recheck them at HNL?
Old Jul 19, 2009, 6:15 pm

Programs: S3
Yes

DL and HA have baggage agreements

You must have your HA ticket reciept to display at departure.

Ditto on your return
Old Jul 19, 2009, 7:03 pm

Programs: Skymiles
And just to add..you can NOT do this at the kiosk. A ticket agent will need
to add the additional flights manually.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 7:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM, MM
One note - I used to travel frequently through HNL to another island. I would always have a day-long layover in HNL and go sightseeing. Over a certain length of time, they don't normally want you to check your bags through. I learned early on to insist that I want my bags checked through, and to ask the clerk to sign the voluntary baggage separation form. Once they realized I knew what form to ask for, they would give up protesting and let me sign the form. Another trick I would sometimes do, before I learned about the waiver, would be to give my luggage to the porter and leave him a good tip. He would keep my bags until it was time to check in for my departing flight, and handle everything for me.

I'm not sure exactly what the threshold is for needing to sign this waiver. My situations I usually was staying in HNL for 12 hours or more. With only 5 hours, you might be okay.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by kmk5397
And just to add..you can NOT do this at the kiosk. A ticket agent will need
to add the additional flights manually.
Just to add you can check in at the kiosk but when checking bags select how many and hit special items...that will prompt the baggage drop agent to manually input the baggage.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, AA PM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Excellent; thanks everyone for your insight. This will save me some hassle and a few $$ on checked bags since I'm gold.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 8:56 pm

Programs: S3
Originally Posted by zsmith2
Just to add you can check in at the kiosk but when checking bags select how many and hit special items...that will prompt the baggage drop agent to manually input the baggage.
Cool

Didn't know that

what about UMNR's

Can they check in with a baggage drop agent?
Old Jul 19, 2009, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by SLC777RES
Cool

Didn't know that

what about UMNR's

Can they check in with a baggage drop agent?
They can checkin at the kiosk unless the SSR is in the rez and then it will kick back to an agent. Baggage drop agents will not handle UNMR. These days we agents have to pay attention to actually who checks in at the kiosks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.